Good Night / Bad Night - Pre Season game 2

GunnerBill

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Khairi Lee is supposedly the best blocking TE on the squad, or so I heard.  Was he supposed to chip block Myles Garret while coming off the line on the play where Garret crushed AJ and broke his collar bone?  If so (and it kind of looked like this was the case), that was the worst effort of a chip block probably ever and should knock Lee down several notches in the competition for a TE spot.  If not, then that was completely on Dawkins.  Makes no difference if Myles Garret is very, very good; lots of DEs and LBs in the

NFL are very good.  We can't have another QB go down with a multi month injury.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I thought it was Croom to block. But I could be wrong

This is a screen shot of the play - Ducasse was the only one not busy...

play.jpg

Eventually, Dawkins guy came free and was the first on McCarron.

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm agreed with the rest of my Bills brothers on the grades.  Also adding.

Some players get both good/bad night grades.  

Edmonds - (good) sideline to sideline speed to help contain outside runs and short passing game (bad) over-pursuing inside runs and getting gashed. 

Peterman (good) decision making and getting the ball out quickly to his reads in the middle of the field.  (bad) those short out patterns can turn to a pick 6 with that arm strength.

Taron Johnson (good) he seems to have a nose for the football and gets to a runner quickly even when LB's are out of place. (bad) receivers seem to get the inside step on him and he is susceptible to be a step or two behind on in routes. 

Good

Fede - made some nice plays and may be scratching his way to a roster spot.

Bad.

Bodine - it seemed like a different line with Bodine in there. Many have pointed out a lack of communication. Put Groy back and let's see what Teller can do at LG with the 1's and Allen next week.

Davis- the only kick he needs is in the ass and out the door.

C McDermott-  not his best game. I still think he makes the 53.

Cadet- Unless he dazzles in games 3-4, he's going to get cut.

Bad News

Kyle- If he is out for an extended time, its going to hurt. As much as I like Prince Harry, he and Star were getting moved a lot by Cleveland's line.

Adding to the others. 

I, like the brethren, am super excited about Allen. That zip on the outs is a thing of beauty. He puts the ball there so quick on intermediate throws that it is almost indefensible.  I love his pocket presence so far. Seeing him calmly step up into the pocket and find his man is so refreshing compared to Tyrod's chicken run scrambles. 

Murphy - a very pleasant surprise. Last year I thought he flashed some talent, but I didn't see him ahead of Cadet or Ivory. I think he's a legit #2 right now. 

Ray Ray - he's making plays and I think he jumps up from the scrub brush and claims a roster spot.  Proehl, Foster are done. I'd like to see what Coleman does next week when he's had a chance to adjust. 

20 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Thanks GB, appreciate your input. ?? 

I admit, I haven’t read through the thread yet so his may be answered, but, thoughts on the LB unit in general and Edmunds/Milano in particular?

Yea I didn't think it was a great night for the linebackers - I thought on a couple of those early Hyde runs they took bad angles and/or were indecisive.  However, personally (and I know not everyone saw it this way) I think the defensive line was more to blame. Hard for linebackers to maintain gap discipline when gaps are popping up all over the place. Star looked like he was totally going through the motions and obviously Kyle got hurt early. McDermott's scheme depends on defensive lineman winning 1v1s with blockers and controlling the line. That is supposed to make the linebackers' jobs easier in terms of reading and reacting. When the line can exert no control then linebackers will always looked overmatched in this system. We saw that in the games where we didn't win upfront last year and we will again this year if we don't get more, particularly from the defensive tackle spots, in the regular season.