Garrett manhandled Dawkins

Domdab99

25 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Anyone else worried that our starting LT looked like a turnstile last night? 

This is is the only reason why I might not want Josh Allen starting the season under center...our OL might be very bad. 

It’s Myles Garret dude calm down. Guy is going to terrorize everyone.

love all these overreaction threads

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It’s Myles Garret dude calm down. Guy is going to terrorize everyone.

love all these overreaction threads

Didn't have that kind of success against Solder last week.  The thing people need to look at is Dawkins technique vs Garrett, especially on the play where AJ got hurt.  The technique was terrible.  He lowered his head and got pushed back into the QB.  He also got flat footed which led to him being in a position to catch rather than being able to hand punch, use his arms and keep Garrett at a distance.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

In a real game, there would have been more chip blocks from TEs and RBs like in the first preseason game.  This offense looked much more vanilla than in game one.  There was not a lot of pre-motion in game two.  I'm sure they are evaluating different things in game one versus two.  Garrett is very good though.  Also, it appears that Browns blitzed more, though it might have appeared to be a blitz because of how fast they were getting into the backfield.  I was more concerned with the inability of the Bills defense in stopping the run.  I would have thought they would have been better.

Like, can the OL hold them back?

I remember debating some poster a while back on Wood.  He said he's average at best -  I said you'll miss him when he's gone.  

We're missing him, Bodine was not good last night.  He, IMO, was 100% responsible for the sack on McCarron that came up the middle.  There's no good reason he left his man, ran to the left, and his guy smashes the QB.  It was so bad it looked like it was on purpose.  

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I remember debating some poster a while back on Wood.  He said he's average at best -  I said you'll miss him when he's gone.  

We're missing him, Bodine was not good last night.  He, IMO, was 100% responsible for the sack on McCarron that came up the middle.  There's no good reason he left his man, ran to the left, and his guy smashes the QB.  It was so bad it looked like it was on purpose.  

I'm not sure if that was on him or Ducasse.  Looks like Bodine picked up a guy that Ducasse thought he should have picked up and then the other guy ran in untouched.  I'm not sure but that was a mess in the middle.  It still doesn't excuse Ducasse who for a 6'5 329 lb guy just gets slapped around like a lil "mitch"  LOL

24 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

In stark comparison to what Daboll unveiled last week, I didn’t see ANY TE’s or RB’s chip DE’s. That there were a couple unchallenged DE rushes straight to the QB suggests blown assignments. They need to address this quickly or we’ll be scouring waiver wires for QB’s every week!

Here's to hoping that TEs and RBs not chipping was for evaluation....on purpose. If they didn't chip because they forgot or didn't want the contact, well that would be an area of concern.

22 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm not sure if that was on him or Ducasse.  Looks like Bodine picked up a guy that Ducasse thought he should have picked up and then the other guy ran in untouched.  I'm not sure but that was a mess in the middle.  It still doesn't excuse Ducasse who for a 6'5 329 lb guy just gets slapped around like a lil "mitch"  LOL

It was on Bodine.  

edit:  I think I put more blame on Bodine looking back but Ducasse is clueless.  Even Clay missed.  This play is pretty bad and I think what Wood did was communicate responsibilities.  He was a very smart player.  

Edited by White Linen

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Anyone else worried that our starting LT looked like a turnstile last night? 

This is is the only reason why I might not want Josh Allen starting the season under center...our OL might be very bad. 

Not worried as Garrett is a stud. Next to QB, elite pass rusher is next on the list. Dawkins had a good camp. He just ran into a monster. I’m hoping that the Bills can add one of those monsters next year (or this year Khalil Mack).

Just now, WhoTom said:

Dawkins was good last year - good enough that they traded Cordy Glenn. I'm not worried about him.

The rest of the o-line, however...

Well said!! I am okay with Groy and Miller. Mills is decent in the run game. In general though the OL has holes. If I were to rank my OL concerns Dawkins would be last. It would look like this:

- Vlad

- Mills

- Miller

- Groy

- Dawkins

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It was on Bodine.  

edit:  I think I put more blame on Bodine looking back but Ducasse is clueless.  Even Clay missed.  This play is pretty bad and I think what Wood did was communicate responsibilities.  He was a very smart player.  

Looking at that I can't really agree that it's completely on Bodine.  It depends on what Juan is teaching, but if we look at the pre-snap look by the Browns they have a six-man box with three on each side of the C.  On the snap Bodine actually looks at the MLB to his right our left based on the camera.  They (Bodine and Ducasse) both engage the 1 tech initially.  Bodine has his eye on the backer and once he realizes he's not blitzing I think in his mind he can now pass this rusher off to Ducasse, who once he realizes the off the ball linebacker is not blitzing should be 1 v 1 against this 1 tech while Bodine slides to help.  Dawkins is 1 v 1 vs the Edge rusher.  In any case, I think it's hard to tell without knowing what Juan teaches against a 4 man rush.  Does the C not pass the 1 tech off to the Guard or does he pass the 1 tech off to the G when there is no pressure from the second level?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well said!! I am okay with Groy and Miller. Mills is decent in the run game. In general though the OL has holes. If I were to rank my OL concerns Dawkins would be last. It would look like this:

- Vlad

- Mills

- Miller

- Groy

- Dawkins

Yeah, I think Groy, Mills, Miller, and Dawkins will be the starters. I suspect that Beane is looking at the LG options; Vlad lets the o-line get impaled.

1 hour ago, richardb1952 said:

In a real game, there would have been more chip blocks from TEs and RBs like in the first preseason game.  This offense looked much more vanilla than in game one.  There was not a lot of pre-motion in game two.  I'm sure they are evaluating different things in game one versus two.  Garrett is very good though.  Also, it appears that Browns blitzed more, though it might have appeared to be a blitz because of how fast they were getting into the backfield.  I was more concerned with the inability of the Bills defense in stopping the run.  I would have thought they would have been better.

This was discussed in another thread.  Look at the replay of that play and you'll see that Lee totally whiffs on the chip, which allows Garrett to have a full head of steam barreling into Dawkins.  I don't think the OL design called for that.

I wish that Dawkins was our biggest problem. He had an off night yesterday but he is really better than I thought he would be coming out of college, and I liked him then.

I don't know if I believe his listed weight (320), whereas he looks lighter than that to me. Maybe this is why he didn't go in round 1. Do LTs have to be gigantic like Jumbo Elliot and Orlando Pace these days? Maybe not but that is another topic. I think that Dawkins has great footwork and extends his arms well. If he keeps improving  he will be one of the best draft picks by the Bills in quite some time (imo). I'm not concerned with him at all.

The bad news is the rest of the OL. The old time fans on this board have been through this year after year. Ducasse is going to get someone seriously hurt. Miller gets some love on TSW. I however think that he is average at best. Mills? Please.

I am fully aware of how much the game has changed. That said, we are a cold weather team that plays in a windy stadium. The Buffalo Bills need a strong OL. Incog was/is a nutcase but he attacked his opponents.

A man who knows a bit more about the "process"  than our coach said that in order to win, you must impose your will on your opponent, and this is part of said process. Our OL looks horrid. Do you see them imposing their will? if things don't change, we are in for a very long, dismal season.

Anyway, the good news is that Dawkins can play quite well and he will be just fine imo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC