If I Could Ask McDermott One Question

The_Dude

7 hours ago, Magox said:

That's because they viewed Allen as a much better prospect than Mahomes.

Amazing how simple yet so hard for some people to grasp.  

I mean we have a legit shut down corner, an insanely talented QB prospect, and a world of other great things and people still want to talk about Mahomes?  

My question to the OP is simple - Why?  You have clearly been proven wrong on all your previous opinions and grudges you say, so why are you even wanting to question McD about them again?

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Why draft Mahomes (who had just as many red flags as Allen coming out, and really hasn't done anything to prove himself yet) when they weren't sure what they had in Taylor. Taylor had shown flashes of being a good QB. Good enough to win with. The trick was trying to decide if he was their guy or not. 

Also, Mahomes only flew up the board cause of a relatively poor class at QB. People were already looking at the 18 crop to be a banner year for the position. 

This.  Mahomes is probably the 5th QB taken in this year's draft if he stayed for his senior year at Texas Tech.  Some had him as a 2nd round prospect.  The Chiefs obviously felt they could develop him into a franchise quarterback (it wouldn't surprise me if he does become one under Reid's tutelage).  The Bills knew this year's class would be strong and pry assumed they'd have a higher pick than they actually did.

You're over thinking this. Our GM was not in place yet. There was no way McDermott would make such an important decision (one that will ultimately define his career) without having a GM in place that he trusted to help him evaluate that.

So he focused on other positions of need and set the team up to get a QB this year, in a class that most thought would be much better.

Edited by MJS

15 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Let’s go back two years. Rex is fired and McDermott is hired. Word on the skreets was Whaley was a dead man walking after the draft. 

As a fan I take stock after the season. We missed the playoffs, again, and Taylor did NOT take a step forward. So, naturally I did what we all did — we began evaluating the QB crop for that years draft. It was called “lackluster” but I saw one guy I wanted — Mahomes. Rocket arm, playmaker, can extend plays on the run. 

When Mahomes fell to us (I expected him to go earlier) I was jumping for joy. Then I saw KC on the screen and couldn’t believe it — McDummy traded back (Whaley was NOT running that draft and I’m not gonna argue that point). I was FURIOUS. So much so I HATED Tre White and would only call him by the name Not-Mahomes. 

Anways, spring turned to summer which turned to fall and my anger subsided. What helped me the most to come to grips with losing out on Mahomes was Nate Peterman. Peterman is the anti-Mahomes. Peterman HAS to play a cerebral brand of QBing because he’s not Mahomes. He doesn’t have a cannon. He isn’t the athlete Mahomes is. 

It was with that thinking that I concluded that McDermott must be looking for a ‘Drew Brees’ type and that while Peterman is unlikely to be Brees, he’s the type of QB McDermott wanted. And you can obviously win that way. Further, during the year McDermott clearly was frustrated by our starter whom we all knew when McDermott took the job wasn’t long for Buffalo. That increased my belief that McDermott was looking for a QB in the Brees mold. 

Then em comes this years draft. My list was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen. But I believed McDermotts list was; Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph. It made sense with the information I had available. Allen to me wasn’t in consideration because he was the guy most like Mahomes, only Allen was viewed by many as a lesser prospect than Mahomes. So to me, pre draft, Allen was NOT coming to Buffalo. 

When we drafted Allen I was PISSED. I was pissed because we drafted the guy everybody said was Kyle Boler 2.0. 

Spring gave way to summer and I put my torch and pitchfork down and settled down. I’m hopeful with Allen. He’s done some nice things. 

But here’s what I want to know from McDermott — why? See, the timeline doesn’t make sense to me. I was convinced two years ago we were gonna draft a QB high because it fit perfectly with the timeline of an NFL coach. A rookie HC takes a job, has a decent starter but not a great one, you know he has to find a QB or in 2-4 years he’s fired and may never get another opportunity. So to draft a QB high and let him sit a year under Tyrod would have made perfect sense. So I’m puzzled as to why McDermott wouldn’t have taken Mahomes a year earlier when his skill set is so similar to Allen’s who McDermott ultimately ended up with. 

The only two guesses I have for McDermotts motivations are these:

1. QB is a huge position and he wanted his GM to do the scouting. He didn’t want Whaley’s scouting reports to determine the situation. 

2. The process looked at the dollars. Drafting Mahomes last year would have made great sense. But drafting a young guy this year makes a little sense too. See, you can argue that OBD thinks they can do some serious shopping in free agency next year. So, they would have projected this year to not be a good shopping year due to cap. So with the rookie wage scale, waiting a year could have been considered wise. 

It could be a a combination of the two. 

I’m excited about Allen and I pray he’s the one. But if I could ask and get a real answer out of McDermott, it’d be in this. 

What do you think? I’m curious as to other fans thoughts on the topic. Timelines are very important and strategic and McDermotts is very interesting. 

Let's face it this team overachieved mightily last season, I'm pretty sure the Bills front office thought they'd have the #1 pick in the draft or at least top 3, like most of the fan base did even if half didn't want to admit it. They obviously didn't value Mahomes or Watson as high as the fans here did but it would have been interesting to see if they liked Trubisky if he were there. I don't really get the love for Mahomes, he's coming from a shotgun style throw 60 passes a game type of competition where at least Allen played in a pro style so the transition won't be as tough for him, Mahomes may turn out to be great but I always thought and you can go back and see what i posted about Watson and how we should take him at the 10th spot. I'm totally cool with Allen and I like what I've seen from him so far, he has that gun slinger mentality that I like but he doesn't seem to be wreckless yet at least.

18 hours ago, Magox said:

That's because they viewed Allen as a much better prospect than Mahomes.

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Maybe they didn't think Mahomes was that good

18 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They believe Allen will be a better pro than Mahomes and so do I.

18 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Roger that. I see Mahomes as a one-trick pony in the tuhROD school of QBing.

So they knew a full year in advance that Allen would be a good player, and be available to them at their pick, so they could throw away what was in their lap? Complete nonsense.

For the record, I was Team Watson. 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

So they knew a full year in advance that Allen would be a good player, and be available to them at their pick, so they could throw away what was in their lap? Complete nonsense.

We don't know.  My guess is they knew this year's draft class was loaded at QB and they obviously weren't high on Watson or Mahomes.  All the moves post draft indicated they thought this year's crop was special.  As always, time will tell with all these young QB's who was right and who was wrong.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why is that nonsense? By making the trade with KC, they knew the would have 2 first round picks. Beane probably had 2 or 3 QB’s on his radar that he liked more than Mahomes and knew he would have the ammunition to move up and get them. Highly plausible. 

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

No - they knew a full year in advance that 4 or 5 prospects from 2018 would have a shot at being better than Mahomes in 2017.  McDermott also knew that if you want to pick for long term success at the most important position - you want to do the most scouting with guys you trust and guys that see things the same way.

Mahomes in 2017 made no sense with what the Bills had for a roster and FO.  

Watson made some sense because he was a mobile QB, quiet leader, and from all accounts a good student of the game.  He would have fit in with TT and been a better fit.  

Picking Mahomes at that point would have been a disaster.

As it turned out - they got themselves a top flight CB, a higher potential and better QB prospect, and a better MLB prospect because of the Mahomes and Ragland trades.

I do not question that at all.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers ran a pro style offense at Cal. Alex Smith ran a spread offense but not the air raid. Air raid offenses are extremely simple and usually run with no huddle. Transitioning from that offense in college to a professional NFL offense with tight windows is extremely difficult. Josh Allen has been throwing into tight windows and reading the whole field since his first year at Wyoming.

And I don't think any amount of arm strength can make up for these 2 mistakes he made yesterday:

He needs to learn NFL DBs are going to catch up to his receivers. I expect him to throw a lot of picks this year. Alex Smith was already good at throwing the deep ball so I don't see how the Chiefs offense is going to get better. It's much more likely to take a big step backwards.

Sammy is the decoy, he’s not supposed to throw the ball there on either of those plays.:doh:

On 8/18/2018 at 7:51 AM, The_Dude said:

Let’s go back two years. Rex is fired and McDermott is hired. Word on the skreets was Whaley was a dead man walking after the draft. 

As a fan I take stock after the season. We missed the playoffs, again, and Taylor did NOT take a step forward. So, naturally I did what we all did — we began evaluating the QB crop for that years draft. It was called “lackluster” but I saw one guy I wanted — Mahomes. Rocket arm, playmaker, can extend plays on the run. 

When Mahomes fell to us (I expected him to go earlier) I was jumping for joy. Then I saw KC on the screen and couldn’t believe it — McDummy traded back (Whaley was NOT running that draft and I’m not gonna argue that point). I was FURIOUS. So much so I HATED Tre White and would only call him by the name Not-Mahomes. 

Anways, spring turned to summer which turned to fall and my anger subsided. What helped me the most to come to grips with losing out on Mahomes was Nate Peterman. Peterman is the anti-Mahomes. Peterman HAS to play a cerebral brand of QBing because he’s not Mahomes. He doesn’t have a cannon. He isn’t the athlete Mahomes is. 

It was with that thinking that I concluded that McDermott must be looking for a ‘Drew Brees’ type and that while Peterman is unlikely to be Brees, he’s the type of QB McDermott wanted. And you can obviously win that way. Further, during the year McDermott clearly was frustrated by our starter whom we all knew when McDermott took the job wasn’t long for Buffalo. That increased my belief that McDermott was looking for a QB in the Brees mold. 

Then em comes this years draft. My list was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen. But I believed McDermotts list was; Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph. It made sense with the information I had available. Allen to me wasn’t in consideration because he was the guy most like Mahomes, only Allen was viewed by many as a lesser prospect than Mahomes. So to me, pre draft, Allen was NOT coming to Buffalo. 

When we drafted Allen I was PISSED. I was pissed because we drafted the guy everybody said was Kyle Boler 2.0. 

Spring gave way to summer and I put my torch and pitchfork down and settled down. I’m hopeful with Allen. He’s done some nice things. 

But here’s what I want to know from McDermott — why? See, the timeline doesn’t make sense to me. I was convinced two years ago we were gonna draft a QB high because it fit perfectly with the timeline of an NFL coach. A rookie HC takes a job, has a decent starter but not a great one, you know he has to find a QB or in 2-4 years he’s fired and may never get another opportunity. So to draft a QB high and let him sit a year under Tyrod would have made perfect sense. So I’m puzzled as to why McDermott wouldn’t have taken Mahomes a year earlier when his skill set is so similar to Allen’s who McDermott ultimately ended up with. 

The only two guesses I have for McDermotts motivations are these:

1. QB is a huge position and he wanted his GM to do the scouting. He didn’t want Whaley’s scouting reports to determine the situation. 

2. The process looked at the dollars. Drafting Mahomes last year would have made great sense. But drafting a young guy this year makes a little sense too. See, you can argue that OBD thinks they can do some serious shopping in free agency next year. So, they would have projected this year to not be a good shopping year due to cap. So with the rookie wage scale, waiting a year could have been considered wise. 

It could be a a combination of the two. 

I’m excited about Allen and I pray he’s the one. But if I could ask and get a real answer out of McDermott, it’d be in this. 

What do you think? I’m curious as to other fans thoughts on the topic. Timelines are very important and strategic and McDermotts is very interesting. 

I didn't want Whaley anywhere near our QB draft board. He is the worst evaluator of QB's that I have ever seen. The fact that he was fired and didn't have any impact on that draft tells you everything you need to know. McD wanted a GM and scouting dept that he trusted to make a decision on such an important pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

They knew Allen and Darnold were top prospects before the 2017 season started. They probably thought they would have a pretty high pick in 2018. It is not far fetched that their plan was to try and get one of them in a QB class that everyone knew would be loaded. Front offices plan ahead 2 or 3 years.