If I Could Ask McDermott One Question

The_Dude

12 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Weren’t Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith air raid guys? I can’t remember. 

My view — Mahomes’ arm talent is enough to overcome.

I'm pretty sure Rodgers ran a pro style offense at Cal. Alex Smith ran a spread offense but not the air raid. Air raid offenses are extremely simple and usually run with no huddle. Transitioning from that offense in college to a professional NFL offense with tight windows is extremely difficult. Josh Allen has been throwing into tight windows and reading the whole field since his first year at Wyoming.

And I don't think any amount of arm strength can make up for these 2 mistakes he made yesterday:

He needs to learn NFL DBs are going to catch up to his receivers. I expect him to throw a lot of picks this year. Alex Smith was already good at throwing the deep ball so I don't see how the Chiefs offense is going to get better. It's much more likely to take a big step backwards.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers ran a pro style offense at Cal. Alex Smith ran a spread offense but not the air raid. Air raid offenses are extremely simple and usually run with no huddle. Transitioning from that offense in college to a professional NFL offense with tight windows is extremely difficult. Josh Allen has been throwing into tight windows and reading the whole field since his first year at Wyoming.

And I don't think any amount of arm strength can make up for these 2 mistakes he made yesterday:

He needs to learn NFL DBs are going to catch up to his receivers. I expect him to throw a lot of picks this year. Alex Smith was already good at throwing the deep ball so I don't see how the Chiefs offense is going to get better. It's much more likely to take a big step backwards.

Dude, it’s a preseason game. That’s why I didn’t reference his sick bomb to Hill. 

Why draft Mahomes (who had just as many red flags as Allen coming out, and really hasn't done anything to prove himself yet) when they weren't sure what they had in Taylor. Taylor had shown flashes of being a good QB. Good enough to win with. The trick was trying to decide if he was their guy or not. 

Also, Mahomes only flew up the board cause of a relatively poor class at QB. People were already looking at the 18 crop to be a banner year for the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Dude, it’s a preseason game.

Which is why it's especially alarming. That was the Chiefs 1st team offense against the Falcons 2nd and 3rd team defense. And it's a vanilla preseason defense. Mahomes only threw 12 passes and 2 of them should have been interceptions. It's cool that he can throw the ball far, and with Tyreek Hill that could be a deadly trait. But it won't matter if he can't consistently make good decisions. I find it strange that you compare Allen to Kyle Boller but you thought Mahomes would be an elite QB. Allen has a little more arm strength and better fundamentals. What about Mahomes made you like him better than Allen?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Dude, it’s a preseason game. That’s why I didn’t reference his sick bomb to Hill. 

Preseason is the only thing Mahomes has that says he's a good QB... That and one game with average stats. 

I don't understand how there is any indication or evidence that Mahomes is a better QB than Allen...

4 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Let’s go back two years. Rex is fired and McDermott is hired. Word on the skreets was Whaley was a dead man walking after the draft. 

As a fan I take stock after the season. We missed the playoffs, again, and Taylor did NOT take a step forward. So, naturally I did what we all did — we began evaluating the QB crop for that years draft. It was called “lackluster” but I saw one guy I wanted — Mahomes. Rocket arm, playmaker, can extend plays on the run. 

When Mahomes fell to us (I expected him to go earlier) I was jumping for joy. Then I saw KC on the screen and couldn’t believe it — McDummy traded back (Whaley was NOT running that draft and I’m not gonna argue that point). I was FURIOUS. So much so I HATED Tre White and would only call him by the name Not-Mahomes. 

Anways, spring turned to summer which turned to fall and my anger subsided. What helped me the most to come to grips with losing out on Mahomes was Nate Peterman. Peterman is the anti-Mahomes. Peterman HAS to play a cerebral brand of QBing because he’s not Mahomes. He doesn’t have a cannon. He isn’t the athlete Mahomes is. 

It was with that thinking that I concluded that McDermott must be looking for a ‘Drew Brees’ type and that while Peterman is unlikely to be Brees, he’s the type of QB McDermott wanted. And you can obviously win that way. Further, during the year McDermott clearly was frustrated by our starter whom we all knew when McDermott took the job wasn’t long for Buffalo. That increased my belief that McDermott was looking for a QB in the Brees mold. 

Then em comes this years draft. My list was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen. But I believed McDermotts list was; Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph. It made sense with the information I had available. Allen to me wasn’t in consideration because he was the guy most like Mahomes, only Allen was viewed by many as a lesser prospect than Mahomes. So to me, pre draft, Allen was NOT coming to Buffalo. 

When we drafted Allen I was PISSED. I was pissed because we drafted the guy everybody said was Kyle Boler 2.0. 

Spring gave way to summer and I put my torch and pitchfork down and settled down. I’m hopeful with Allen. He’s done some nice things. 

But here’s what I want to know from McDermott — why? See, the timeline doesn’t make sense to me. I was convinced two years ago we were gonna draft a QB high because it fit perfectly with the timeline of an NFL coach. A rookie HC takes a job, has a decent starter but not a great one, you know he has to find a QB or in 2-4 years he’s fired and may never get another opportunity. So to draft a QB high and let him sit a year under Tyrod would have made perfect sense. So I’m puzzled as to why McDermott wouldn’t have taken Mahomes a year earlier when his skill set is so similar to Allen’s who McDermott ultimately ended up with. 

The only two guesses I have for McDermotts motivations are these:

1. QB is a huge position and he wanted his GM to do the scouting. He didn’t want Whaley’s scouting reports to determine the situation. 

2. The process looked at the dollars. Drafting Mahomes last year would have made great sense. But drafting a young guy this year makes a little sense too. See, you can argue that OBD thinks they can do some serious shopping in free agency next year. So, they would have projected this year to not be a good shopping year due to cap. So with the rookie wage scale, waiting a year could have been considered wise. 

It could be a a combination of the two. 

I’m excited about Allen and I pray he’s the one. But if I could ask and get a real answer out of McDermott, it’d be in this. 

What do you think? I’m curious as to other fans thoughts on the topic. Timelines are very important and strategic and McDermotts is very interesting. 

First of Waaaaaah - I mean you want to give the GM and the scouts that traded up for Watkins in the deepest WR class perhaps in history and the scout and GM that drafted EJ a chance to make a selection of Mahomes - WHY?

McDermott knew that Mahomes QB class was suspect and that Allen’s class was considered much better.  They knew Mahomes had a ton of issues and most “experts” had him in the middle to bottom third of the round because of his college offense and his TOs.  They knew he had a cannon, but he needed a lot of work and the Bills had a QB they wanted to see what he could do.

I think you way overvalue Mahomes and your opinion on him and you did not like Allen as a prospect so you equate two totally different players to try and make a point.  The Bills may have like Mahomes, but you would have been going completely on a GM and staff that failed on so many picks and McDermott is smarter than that.  If you can not see his process which is slow and deliberate, but you question why in 3 short months he would draft a QB that he did not scout and trust a GM that was going out the door, then the fault lies with you.

I am not curious at all because it was obvious that last year was about McDermott instilling his ethos on the team and making picks based upon what he wanted in year 1 - nearly every pick was a 4 year starter and team leader - why - because I believe that gave him a chance to draft quality players based upon the scouts the Bills had and the players he knew from Carolina.  Year 2 (draft 1 with Beane) was about getting talent because they had established the team identity.  Plus he now had a GM that was on the same page and had scouted, talked with, interviewed, and did background checks on the players and could give a similar grade so they could grow together.

To me it was easy build a team - get the QB that your long term front office wants.  It makes to much sense.

Plus how do you think Mahomes would have progressed watching TT run an offense - it would have stunted his growth more.  Mahomes got to watch an actual QB have a career year and learn how to use all parts of the field.  Mahomes is an easy bust in Buffalo with the staff from last year and TT at QB.  Allen has a shot to be special.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why draft Mahomes (who had just as many red flags as Allen coming out, and really hasn't done anything to prove himself yet) when they weren't sure what they had in Taylor.

...we knew what we had in Taylor. And it wasn’t good enough. Nice, but not good enough. 

And if the plan was to keep Tyrod, why not run an offense that makes the most of Tyrods abilities? Tyrods abilities were never the issue — it was his refusal to fire the freaking pigskin. 

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Which is why it's especially alarming. That was the Chiefs 1st team offense against the Falcons 2nd and 3rd team defense. And it's a vanilla preseason defense. Mahomes only threw 12 passes and 2 of them should have been interceptions. It's cool that he can throw the ball far, and with Tyreek Hill that could be a deadly trait. But it won't matter if he can't consistently make good decisions. I find it strange that you compare Allen to Kyle Boller but you thought Mahomes would be an elite QB. Allen has a little more arm strength and better fundamentals. What about Mahomes made you like him better than Allen?

Hes a young QB and it’s preseason. Closing the book a little too soon maybe?

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'd ask him for ten more questions. 

Or three more wishes every 3rd wish

The OP answered his own questions when writing the Post

and blending of both is true as well.

I enjoyed the read and identified with it . 

Nice to work in the timeline.
we do this Bills thing all year long. it has its 4 seasons .Lol

Edited by 3rdand12

I am a happy camper.

I loved the trade down and getting another first and Tre White.

These guys knew there was 4 or 5 guys in 2018 that checked off all the boxes on what they were looking for in a QB.

No panic no reach no mortgaging the future,just a steady hand on the rudder with a plan.

BTW Carnuba wax really brings out the Chrome Dome Shine ;) 

Edited by JMF2006

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Weren’t Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith air raid guys? I can’t remember. 

My view — Mahomes’ arm talent is enough to overcome. 

....how about we let his play determine? We’ll see. Andy Reid seems to like him. I think he knows QBs pretty well. 

No he doesn't 

6 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Let’s go back two years. Rex is fired and McDermott is hired. Word on the skreets was Whaley was a dead man walking after the draft. 

As a fan I take stock after the season. We missed the playoffs, again, and Taylor did NOT take a step forward. So, naturally I did what we all did — we began evaluating the QB crop for that years draft. It was called “lackluster” but I saw one guy I wanted — Mahomes. Rocket arm, playmaker, can extend plays on the run. 

When Mahomes fell to us (I expected him to go earlier) I was jumping for joy. Then I saw KC on the screen and couldn’t believe it — McDummy traded back (Whaley was NOT running that draft and I’m not gonna argue that point). I was FURIOUS. So much so I HATED Tre White and would only call him by the name Not-Mahomes. 

Anways, spring turned to summer which turned to fall and my anger subsided. What helped me the most to come to grips with losing out on Mahomes was Nate Peterman. Peterman is the anti-Mahomes. Peterman HAS to play a cerebral brand of QBing because he’s not Mahomes. He doesn’t have a cannon. He isn’t the athlete Mahomes is. 

It was with that thinking that I concluded that McDermott must be looking for a ‘Drew Brees’ type and that while Peterman is unlikely to be Brees, he’s the type of QB McDermott wanted. And you can obviously win that way. Further, during the year McDermott clearly was frustrated by our starter whom we all knew when McDermott took the job wasn’t long for Buffalo. That increased my belief that McDermott was looking for a QB in the Brees mold. 

Then em comes this years draft. My list was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen. But I believed McDermotts list was; Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph. It made sense with the information I had available. Allen to me wasn’t in consideration because he was the guy most like Mahomes, only Allen was viewed by many as a lesser prospect than Mahomes. So to me, pre draft, Allen was NOT coming to Buffalo. 

When we drafted Allen I was PISSED. I was pissed because we drafted the guy everybody said was Kyle Boler 2.0. 

Spring gave way to summer and I put my torch and pitchfork down and settled down. I’m hopeful with Allen. He’s done some nice things. 

But here’s what I want to know from McDermott — why? See, the timeline doesn’t make sense to me. I was convinced two years ago we were gonna draft a QB high because it fit perfectly with the timeline of an NFL coach. A rookie HC takes a job, has a decent starter but not a great one, you know he has to find a QB or in 2-4 years he’s fired and may never get another opportunity. So to draft a QB high and let him sit a year under Tyrod would have made perfect sense. So I’m puzzled as to why McDermott wouldn’t have taken Mahomes a year earlier when his skill set is so similar to Allen’s who McDermott ultimately ended up with. 

The only two guesses I have for McDermotts motivations are these:

1. QB is a huge position and he wanted his GM to do the scouting. He didn’t want Whaley’s scouting reports to determine the situation. 

2. The process looked at the dollars. Drafting Mahomes last year would have made great sense. But drafting a young guy this year makes a little sense too. See, you can argue that OBD thinks they can do some serious shopping in free agency next year. So, they would have projected this year to not be a good shopping year due to cap. So with the rookie wage scale, waiting a year could have been considered wise. 

It could be a a combination of the two. 

I’m excited about Allen and I pray he’s the one. But if I could ask and get a real answer out of McDermott, it’d be in this. 

What do you think? I’m curious as to other fans thoughts on the topic. Timelines are very important and strategic and McDermotts is very interesting. 

Because McD wanted to pick his QB with his GM, not Whaley .

Allen is going to be great not worried about other teams QBs.