[Edited Title] Tremaine Edmunds looks Lost

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edited Title] Tremaine Edmunds looks Lost
29 minutes ago, mynmisoli said:

I understand that rookies needs some time to adjust to the pro game but man this guy looks horrible.  He can't cover man to man, can't cover in zone, is a step late in reacting to the run, bites HARD on every play action, fills in the wrong gap constantly, hesitates and ends up in "no man's land", needs help making calls.  Why is he even a MLB?  He never played the position before and athleticism is best exploited at the OLB position.  He reminds me of..... *takes a deep breath*.......Aaron Maybin.  Freakish build and athleticism and is the guy who always runs in at the end of a play instead of being the first one to get there.  Shows no instincts or anticipation and gets picked on by offenses because of it.  A lot of the yards and points given up in the first half were a direct result of his play.  The only real positives that I can see with him is that once in a long while he'll flash and make a tackle for loss or like last week the forced fumble.  I dunno what we should do though, this coaching staff is stubborn and they're not gong to admit that putting this kid in at MLB was a mistake so I'm guessing that we'll be stuck with him there for the next 3 years if McDermott sticks around for that long.

The Maybin comparison isn't accurate. Maybin was built off of having a quick first step and in the NFL he very early on clearly proved that what was supposedly his strengths weren't his strengths at an NFL level. Edumonds has the physical tools and you see it on the field. When Edumonds knows where he is supposed to go he closes early and shows off that he has the tools to be able to play at an elite level. 

Edumonds just hasn't developed the instincts and read ability to take advantage of his physical tools. That will hopefully come with time and coaching. He is very green but those flashes of brilliance give you hope. He just needs to know where he is going.

38 minutes ago, mynmisoli said:

I understand that rookies needs some time to adjust to the pro game but man this guy looks horrible.  He can't cover man to man, can't cover in zone, is a step late in reacting to the run, bites HARD on every play action, fills in the wrong gap constantly, hesitates and ends up in "no man's land", needs help making calls.  Why is he even a MLB?  He never played the position before and athleticism is best exploited at the OLB position.  He reminds me of..... *takes a deep breath*.......Aaron Maybin.  Freakish build and athleticism and is the guy who always runs in at the end of a play instead of being the first one to get there.  Shows no instincts or anticipation and gets picked on by offenses because of it.  A lot of the yards and points given up in the first half were a direct result of his play.  The only real positives that I can see with him is that once in a long while he'll flash and make a tackle for loss or like last week the forced fumble.  I dunno what we should do though, this coaching staff is stubborn and they're not gong to admit that putting this kid in at MLB was a mistake so I'm guessing that we'll be stuck with him there for the next 3 years if McDermott sticks around for that long.

The first half he was absolutely atrocious, and I very rarely bash players so harshly , especially a rookie , but like you said, he was directly responsible for numerous huge plays in the first half that eventually resulted in TDs. The Chargers intentionally exploited him play after play after play. It was at the point where i felt he should have been pulled. At the same time, alot of that is on the coaches for putting him in positions he clearly isn't comfortable in. 

In the second half though, the whole defense looked different , and i'm very interested to look at what was done with Edmunds specifically. I know McD took over play calling too, but if we can see that defense going forward, this team can be successful. I absolutely loved Allen firing up the defense after the O scored on their first possession in the 2nd half.

Back to Edmunds, if he does turn out to be a bust, that'd be a terrible look for Beane, giving up the 65th and 22nd pick to move up 6 spots. 

But, if he did turn out to be bad at the mike, he's so versatile and physically gifted, he can attempt to play any LB position and DE...
But ya, it's at the point where ya gotta almost take him off the field if he's going to be picked on like that. I mean 10/10 in Red zone percentage for our opponents  is hard to do for a defense and the MLB plays a big role down there......Maybe Preston had a bigger impact on this defense than we thought??? We're def missing something out there.

5 hours ago, kelchlsm said:

Edmunds is terrible

I realize that some fans have this really hard time looking past the game that they just watched........

but Edmunds has in fact played TWO NFL games......the 1st one he honestly looked like our best defensive player.....had two pass defense deflections in the first game and made several tackles..

That is the way of it when it comes to rookies......there will be highs and lows.....if you want to sit there and cray about the lows and not give credit for the highs that is your choice but it makes you look foolish.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I realize that some fans have this really hard time looking past the game that they just watched........

but Edmunds has in fact played TWO NFL games......the 1st one he honestly looked like our best defensive player.....had two pass defense deflections in the first game and made several tackles..

That is the way of it when it comes to rookies......there will be highs and lows.....if you want to sit there and cray about the lows and not give credit for the highs that is your choice but it makes you look foolish.

Rivers attacked TE all throughout the 1st half.  Frazier couldn't stop it.

He (and the whole D for that matter) looked much better in the 2nd.

It will be interesting what happens next week on D!

2 hours ago, mynmisoli said:

The guy has played 2 games... how the !@#$ can you call anything he does "once in a long while"? If he forces a fumble every other game he's a HOF. What a dumb rambling paragraph of nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:41 AM, ******* said:

Yeah he’s young yeah it’s preseason but yuck looks lost 

I tend to agree with you but I think there are multiple issues here.

1) The biggest is that i think he is really out of position as an MLB expected to stop the run in a 4-3.  To me he looks a lot better as a "twitchy" athlete who could help in the pass rush and still be rangy enough to disrupt  in coverage and also in pursuit.  A classic "thumper"with great ball instincts to diagnose and attack the ball carrier he is not.  He seems more of an OLB to me.

2) He is being force fed a lot in terms of responsibilities (diagnosing and communicating defensive adjustments). That is hard enough as a rookie and even more hard when your natural instincts and strengths are not well matched with what you are being expected to do on the field in your current role.

3) The loss of Preston Brown (who took a home town discount in Cincinnati) necessitated a new MLB --- we had nobody.  Perhaps this situation will benefit him long term, but right now he is undergoing the same learning process Allen is, and is not being schemed to play to his natural strengths.

I still think the kid is a unique talent, but right now is a bit "square peg, round hole".  I wonder if the Bills will be better off moving hims outside next year and getting a more instinctive "traditional"MLB to play inside.

6 minutes ago, CamboBill said:

I tend to agree with you but I think there are multiple issues here.

1) The biggest is that i think he is really out of position as an MLB expected to stop the run in a 4-3.  To me he looks a lot better as a "twitchy" athlete who could help in the pass rush and still be rangy enough to disrupt  in coverage and also in pursuit.  A classic "thumper"with great ball instincts to diagnose and attack the ball carrier he is not.  He seems more of an OLB to me.

2) He is being force fed a lot in terms of responsibilities (diagnosing and communicating defensive adjustments). That is hard enough as a rookie and even more hard when your natural instincts and strengths are not well matched with what you are being expected to do on the field in your current role.

3) The loss of Preston Brown (who took a home town discount in Cincinnati) necessitated a new MLB --- we had nobody.  Perhaps this situation will benefit him long term, but right now he is undergoing the same learning process Allen is, and is not being schemed to play to his natural strengths.

I still think the kid is a unique talent, but right now is a bit "square peg, round hole".  I wonder if the Bills will be better off moving hims outside next year and getting a more instinctive "traditional"MLB to play inside.

Strikes me this way too. It's early but his flashes are bright and he could disrupt half a field as OLB. Another tough test this week. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

On 9/15/2018 at 5:40 PM, VW82 said:

I actually saw Tremaine out and about the other day. He was shopping when all of a sudden these five dogs got off the leash and were running right at him. He threw down his bags and got into an athletic position to try and stop the dogs for their owner. One by one they deked him out and just kept on going, except for the last one who stopped and bit Edmunds's leg after making him fall down. Then TE got mad and he ate the dog! We probably shouldn't have used two draft picks on him.  

Dafuq is this?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Boys..I am really worried here. From my seats yesterday, seemed pretty apparent Rivers would identify #49s responsibility..and attack. lets hope he learns..cause he was BY FAR the worst player on the field yesterday..on both sides of the ball

If Cook is back at 100 percent he might do more damage than Gordon did. Between him coming out of the back field and Thielen finding soft spots in the zone this defense...yikes. Atleast Tre can limit Diggs? Maybe? 

Was the defense that much better in the 2nd half or did the Chargers get stuck in nuetral after the early lead?

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Boys..I am really worried here. From my seats yesterday, seemed pretty apparent Rivers would identify #49s responsibility..and attack. lets hope he learns..cause he was BY FAR the worst player on the field yesterday..on both sides of the ball

This was what I saw too. The Chargers exposed Edmunds' inability to cover smaller/quicker backs and laid a blue print for every other team we are going to face. Coach Sal was also discussing this and seems to think it is a sign of his inexperience rather than it being because he is too big, but I have my doubts....Edmunds looked so bad I was embarrassed for him, he should not be starting in this league at the moment.