[Edited Title] Tremaine Edmunds looks Lost

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL....two games into his career.

He was a consensus first round pick.  He was projected to go as high as the top 10.  So it's not just the Bills....it's like you're saying everyone involved in football didn't know except you.

The guy made plays in the opener.

I said he should be playing OLB and not MLB.

He was being evaluated a LB.  I think he could be a very good OLB where he doesn't need to run the whole D.

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I said he should be playing OLB and not MLB.

He was being evaluated a LB.  I think he could be a very good OLB where he doesn't need to run the whole D.

NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tremaine-edmunds?id=32462018-0002-5600-62d0-412c60099aca

Player comparison is Brian Urlacher....a MLB.  Specifically said he can player anywhere, including edge rusher if certain sets.

So two games in and you've already established him.  Good for you.  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought he had a bad game......it looked like he was out of position a lot

but to say that he sucks because he had a bad game?  COME ON....he was our best defensive player in game 1 and made several plays......the bills are throwing him in the fire this year because they want him to learn from it.

He played like crap.  He knows it too.

Doesn't really mean anything other than that it was a very bad game, and hopefully he learns from it.

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tremaine-edmunds?id=32462018-0002-5600-62d0-412c60099aca

Player comparison is Brian Urlacher....a MLB.  Specifically said he can player anywhere, including edge rusher if certain sets.

So two games in and you've already established him.  Good for you.  

I am going off his play at VT, so it is more than just two bad games.

I'm not going to go off pre-draft scouting reports or comparisons.  I could find thousands that are wrong.

5 hours ago, PeterDude said:

I don't like what I'm hearing.  Overthinking, timid, soft tackling... Yuck!  And they traded up for him too.  Their draft trade ups have been **** so far, starting with Zay Jones.

Yeah not looking good at all. Very disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I am going off his play at VT, so it is more than just two bad games.

I'm not going to go off pre-draft scouting reports or comparisons.  I could find thousands that are wrong.

Do you have access to film at VT?  Not highlights or broadcast view.  The Eye in the Sky view.  Like broke down hundreds of hours of film on him.

Of course you can find a lot that are wrong but you can also find a lot that were right.  

I'm assuming that since you will not go off of pre-draft scouting reports, you've been 100% right on every single player you've scouted?

5 hours ago, PeterDude said:

I don't like what I'm hearing.  Overthinking, timid, soft tackling... Yuck!  And they traded up for him too.  Their draft trade ups have been **** so far, starting with Zay Jones.

Ahem.

Tredavius White. Dawkins.  Starting CB and LT.

Zay Jones. Starting WR.

Josh Allen. Starting QB

Edmunds.  Starting MLB

Phillips.  Three man DT rotation.

Johnson.  Starting slot CB.

All young, all starting, all learning, all should improve.

Since Edmunds is being focused on, let me ask a question.  On the second full day you had on your job (after your training sessions analogous to Edmunds preseason) were you perfect.  Were you as good at your job that second day as you are now? Or did you improve as you gained experience?  Be honest.

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Just a rookie guys.

Just a barely 21 year old rookie... need to freakin' relax!

If by the end of the season or the end of next season he's still making rookie mistakes, then there is something to worry about.

• Like (+1) 1

Tremaine Edmunds learning on the fly as Buffalo Bills defense falters

Rob Quinn - Cover 1

Tremaine Edmunds won’t be able to legally purchase a beer for another 10 months but despite being just 20-years old, the rookie has been trusted to lead the Buffalo Bills defense.  The ‘Mike’ linebacker shoulders enormous responsibility, as he is responsible for communicating checks, play calls and essentially serving as the quarterback of the defense.  But while the former Virginia Tech superstar has enormous potential, his transition to the NFL has been a bumpy road. After an impressive debut against the Baltimore Ravens, he had his “Welcome to the NFL, rookie” moment in Week 2 as Philip Rivers and the Los Angeles Chargers made a concerted effort to attack the young defender that Buffalo moved up to select with the No. 16 overall pick in the draft.

Ken Whisenhut and the Chargers attacked Edmunds early and often in the passing game. Los Angeles using creative route concepts and multiple formations to either isolate the the 6-foot-5, 252-pound athletic phenom or make him defend the entire width of the field. He made his share of mistakes on his own, finding himself in poor position on a handful of occasions. But on the whole, it was a reminder that in the NFL, athleticism can only get you so far and Edmunds not showing the instincts or quick mental processing that he did in college is a perfect example of that.

According to Pro Football Focus, Edmunds was targeted 11 times in pass coverage and he surrendered 10 receptions for 111 yards. Running backs Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler accounted for five of those catches for 54 yards and a score. Los Angeles often used motion to get Edmunds in man coverage versus one of their talented backs who ran wheel or flat routes.

Here is an example of the Chargers forcing Edmunds to play sideline to sideline. He shows off his great speed to get to the flat and make the tackle, but Los Angeles was still able to pick up a chunk of yardage.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, TheBeane said:

Just a barely 21 year old rookie... need to freakin' relax!

If by the end of the season or the end of next season he's still making rookie mistakes, then there is something to worry about.

Actually, he’s still only 20 years old, won’t turn 21 until next May 2. He can’t even buy a beer yet, people! Give him some time! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Two games in and I'm still waiting for his first solid tackle.

The forced fumble was a nice play. He’s also had some nice passes defended. The highlights with McD there commenting were....highlights. ?

I agree, for his size and speed, I haven’t seen him look like a serious thumper yet. Hopefully he gets more comfortable soon and can just play without having to think too much. 

...yup...another 20 year old kid like Darnold hitting the big time and both are judged as potential busts or marginals.....sadly see the posting ranks thinning out when NFL clubs start taking our "best and the brightest" to fill exec positions that will assuredly lead them to the "promised land"...farewell brethren...............

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

The forced fumble was a nice play. He’s also had some nice passes defended. The highlights with McD there commenting were....highlights. ?

I agree, for his size and speed, I haven’t seen him look like a serious thumper yet. Hopefully he gets more comfortable soon and can just play without having to think too much. 

I've heard anecdotally it's hard for rookies to put on weight their first year in the pros. I would imagine this offseason he's looking to gain maybe 10-15lbs muscle.