Who will start preseason game 3 vs Bengals?

YoloinOhio

Who will start at QB Saturday vs Bengals?   

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start preseason game 3?

Who starts game 3 vs who starts week 1 are two different things.

Allen deserves a shot with the ones in preseason. So should be him. 

That said, start Peterman. Watch an MFL QB prepare for a regular season game. See the game at real speed not preseason speed. Learn what regular season defenses are showing. Make sure the OL isn’t a total disaster. 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Given that the qb who starts game 3 is usually the one who will start the season, who do you think McDermott will start now that AJ is hurt? (This isn’t necessarily who you want to start, it’s who you think will start)

I guess who ever will be practicing with the 1’s 

I would consider playing Peterman Qtrs 1 & 3, and Allen Qtrs 2 & 4.  Or vice versa.  That should give each one a fair chance.  Make a decision after game.  It would give them 2 weeks to get up to speed with the ones.

Edited by richardb1952

I really like what I've seen from Allen. But, given McD's comments noted by Joe B. I think Peterman is the starter for the 3rd game and I think he starts the season. McD and Beane are absolutely intent on making sure they don't repeat an EJ Manuel mistake. They want him to learn and grow before the bullets start flying for real. It's hard to argue that point since nearly everyone on this board believed he needed this season be truly ready. 

Now, I was NOT an Allen guy before the Draft but he has shown significant strides in development I would be fine with "ride or die" with Allen. That said, I also really want him to be the guy for the next 15 years and I do trust McD and their entire FO and coaching staff. So, if they believe the best thing is to let him be the #2 for at least the foreseeable future, then so be it. They've done enough - including drafting Allen to start with btw - to give them the benefit of the doubt. So, I "think" Peterman starts based on McD and Beane's approach with Allen, but it could also be a situation where he starts at some point during the year. Regardless, from what Peterman has shown thus far, which is all we can go by at this point (yes, we all know his Chargers game but players can improve), that's gotten better. Time will tell....but for now, the future is bright.

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I really like what I've seen from Allen. But, given McD's comments noted by Joe B. I think Peterman is the starter for the 3rd game and I think he starts the season. McD and Beane are absolutely intent on making sure they don't repeat an EJ Manuel mistake. They want him to learn and grow before the bullets start flying for real. It's hard to argue that point since nearly everyone on this board believed he needed this season be truly ready. 

Now, I was NOT an Allen guy before the Draft but he has shown significant strides in development I would be fine with "ride or die" with Allen. That said, I also really want him to be the guy for the next 15 years and I do trust McD and their entire FO and coaching staff. So, if they believe the best thing is to let him be the #2 for at least the foreseeable future, then so be it. They've done enough - including drafting Allen to start with btw - to give them the benefit of the doubt. So, I "think" Peterman starts based on McD and Beane's approach with Allen, but it could also be a situation where he starts at some point during the year. Regardless, from what Peterman has shown thus far, which is all we can go by at this point (yes, we all know his Chargers game but players can improve), that's gotten better. Time will tell....but for now, the future is bright.

The mistake made with EJ was made on draft night. In the time between the end of Wyoming’s season and the senior bowl Allen improved more than EJ did in his entire career. 

EJ was never going to be a good QB. Years later he is still in the NFL and he is still the same exact guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Commonsense said:

The mistake made with EJ was made on draft night. In the time between the end of Wyoming’s season and the senior bowl Allen improved more than EJ did in his entire career. 

EJ was never going to be a good QB. Years later he is still in the NFL and he is still the same exact guy. 

I get that. Please don't mistake me saying EJ and Allen are even in the same country regarding talent or ability, let alone zip code. I only meant that the original intent was to bring EJ along slowly, with black-mat-cursed Kolb to hold the spot for a season or two, and that fell apart. Now, I don't know, none of us do right now, just how slow they wanted to bring Allen around, I just don't want them to abandon the plan due to injured AJ with shades of Kolb and EJ. That's all. 

I'm guessing McDermott will give Allen first go with the 1s on Sunday. I think he's already leaning towards Allen being the starter against Baltimore, but he doesn't want the team to know that and he's making Allen really earn it the right way. So for right now it is a "competition" but it's Allen's to lose.

28 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I get that. Please don't mistake me saying EJ and Allen are even in the same country regarding talent or ability, let alone zip code. I only meant that the original intent was to bring EJ along slowly, with black-mat-cursed Kolb to hold the spot for a season or two, and that fell apart. Now, I don't know, none of us do right now, just how slow they wanted to bring Allen around, I just don't want them to abandon the plan due to injured AJ with shades of Kolb and EJ. That's all. 

I don’t think the plan was to sit him, see the two speed bumps as opposition. 

McD is a big “earn it” type of guy. The timeline was set up to make Josh earn the job and as of now he has taken the next step each and every time he has been given a chance. He will have to do it again on Saturday. If he does, I’m a firm believer that the job is his.

If he struggles and Nate executes the offense then I could see this “competition” staying open into the 4th preseason game. It’s not a competition it’s just a matter of pushing Josh past the other guys in the QB room and making him work. 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I guess who ever will be practicing with the 1’s 

Really going out on a limb Putin.

who do you think that will be? So far they have had two days of practice and it’s been. ...Rotation. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, McBean said:

Again, the fact anybody is entertaining Nathan Peterman starting week 1 against the Ravens is hilarious.

McDermott can’t be that dumb. Somebody give me his address so I can send him the LAC film last year...

For better or for worse, I don’t think he cares. And I’m sure he has the film.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:18 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Kiper just said on radio that it would be a huge mistake to throw Allen out there in Baltimore and he expects them to start Peterman since he’s at least started and prepared for actual nfl defenses before. He loves Allen but noted he’s not seen anything yet like he willl see in the regular season when it comes to defenses. He indicated that behind that OL he could be ruined early on from a confidence standpoint. 

In the next breath he expects Darnold to start. 

I don't think it's too contradictory. Allen would face the Ravens and Chargers, two of the best defenses to start while Darnold would match up against the Lions and the Suh-less Dolphins, so I see his point.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm guessing McDermott will give Allen first go with the 1s on Sunday. I think he's already leaning towards Allen being the starter against Baltimore, but he doesn't want the team to know that and he's making Allen really earn it the right way. So for right now it is a "competition" but it's Allen's to lose.

I agree, fwiw.

Additionally, McDermott has shown a propensity to not allow veteran players to voice their opinions publicly about which players may be better, while encouraging the same behind closed doors. We’re seeing every day now, veteran players speaking openly about the QB competition, with a clear nod to Allen, in my view.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For better or for worse, I don’t think he cares. And I’m sure he has the film.

He also had to apologize to his team for making that mistake last year. You hardly ever hear of that. If he starts Peterman who tanks again, which is a very possible if not likely scenario, and maybe a Savage situation where he benches him at halftime of game one, is he going to want to apologize to the team again?

I'm no fan of Peterman. But McD started Peterman with the ones in OTAs and in camp for a reason and something I could support. He rewarded Peterman for his off season work and his attitude, combined with not anointing Allen or even McCarron the starter, and he wanted Allen to beat the competition out in front of the team to win their support and trust rather than just hand him the keys to the car. 

It worked. Now you're seeing several members of the defense coming out and saying how good he is. It's setting McD up perfectly for his very logical plan and process to work. It's just a matter of when he pulls the trigger and makes Allen the starter. It could be this week. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

28 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He also had to apologize to his team for making that mistake last year. You hardly ever hear of that. If he starts Peterman who tanks again, which is a very possible if not likely scenario, and maybe a Savage situation where he benches him at halftime of game one, is he going to want to apologize to the team again?

I'm no fan of Peterman. But McD started Peterman with the ones in OTAs and in camp for a reason and something I could support. He rewarded Peterman for his off season work and his attitude, combined with not anointing Allen or even McCarron the starter, and he wanted Allen to beat the competition out in front of the team to win their support and trust rather than just hand him the keys to the car. 

It worked. Now you're seeing several members of the defense coming out and saying how good he is. It's setting McD up perfectly for his very logical plan and process to work. It's just a matter of when he pulls the trigger and makes Allen the starter. It could be this week. 

My nightmare scenario for the locker room is that Peterman starts and throws a pick-6 on his first drive. Allen is the starter for drive 2.