Who will start preseason game 3 vs Bengals?

YoloinOhio

Who will start at QB Saturday vs Bengals?   

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start preseason game 3?

49 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McD had to do that in the 15 minutes the press is there. If he had Allen in there would be dozens of tweets and stories about Allen is now #1 and he really doesn't want that today. I am no fan of Peterman but if I were McD I would have trotted out Nate with the ones for the 15 minutes, too. 

Good point. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:11 AM, joesixpack said:

The wording of the question is problematic.

"WILL" versus "SHOULD"

I'll bet McD goes with Peterman. He should go with Allen.

Agree.  I voted Peterman, based on the wording of the question.  I am 100% in the Allen camp, though.

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Nathan Peterman took the initial snap of individual drills in Bills practice Sunday, followed by Josh Allen. Reporters cannot watch 11-on-11 drills starting Sunday, but it is logical to assume Peterman will continue to lead the first-team offense for at least part of practice. AJ McCarron (right shoulder) is not practicing Sunday, along with DT Kyle Williams (knee).

2 hours ago, eball said:

Somebody help me with the “Peterman should start the first four games because they are tough defenses” argument, because to me it doesn’t make one lick of sense. 

I think they’re saying to let Allen get his feet under him before subjecting him to a guaranteed beat down at the hands of BAL, LAC or MIN. Those arguing that feel that Allen would be more likely to get injured in those games. I don’t agree, but I think that is their argument. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Somebody help me with the “Peterman should start the first four games because they are tough defenses” argument, because to me it doesn’t make one lick of sense. 

The only reasoning that makes even half way decent arguement I’ve even seen is.

“Opponent-specific game preparation as a starting NFL quarterback.”

Do I think it makes a little sense to have someone watch that. Sure. If it’s behind a proven winning QB.

I would assume the law of large numbers says that injuries to NFL quarterbacks show no trends as far as where in the season, career, or defense specific. It’s just a probability thing that trends even over time.

Look at Wentz. He’s an NFL QB behind a great line. He got hurt. No different than a car accident. Good drivers get in car accidents all the time.

You cannot hold back talent for fear of losing talent. Especially when 1st team reps are such an importance at the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

You have to consider a few things here.

First and most importantly is that Peterman, who was drafted by this staff, is playing well.

Second, Coach loves him

Third, I think Coach really wants Nate to get some "redemption" for that Charger game.  He cant possibly want his career to be "that guy who threw 5 picks in one half."  I dont think coach wants that on himself either.  If Peterman wins this job, that 5 pick game no longer defines Peterman's career---bc he went out and earned the job the next summer.  

Also, make Allen see "it just won't be handed to you."  This 2nd year guy we got is also playing well---just keep working and this will sort itself out.  That approach (hes been working with the 3s most of OTAs and camp for crying out loud) seems to be working with his development.

If Peterman plays well, we have the greatest problem a football team can have.  Potentially 2 legit starters who will be on rookie deals till 2021 and 2022.  

I want Allen to start but would be totally good if the coaches said "yes, Allen might just be ready and a little better, but Nate has earned it; let's let the rookie watch some and see what Nate can do."

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/18/2018 at 6:52 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Final learning steps against his own team's backups in practice?

Yogi Berra said it about baseball but it's true of football too. "80% of the game is 1/2 mental". And QB is a more thinking and fast decision making position than catcher.  

This is where I think he could benefit learning how to read pro defenses and disguised coverages etc. Set him up to succeed when he gets in by knowing this stuff already.

i voted Nasty Nate. i think not starting Allen was the process. iF AJ is indeed out i suppose it could change.

i don't think it necessarily means who starts vs Ravens.

Just hope by the time Allen comes in we're not 0-3 and end up missing the playoffs by a game.

I understand the idea of letting him sit, but he's farther ahead then anyone thought, and Peterman's arm strength (or lack thereof) is going to be an issue.  Aggressive secondaries are going to start jumping his routes during the regular season like they were in a bounce house.  He's a solid backup, but I'm not ready to write-off this season (or a good chunk of it) just to sit Allen.  Not anymore, not after what the kid's shown.

I trust the process, but if Peterman starts it's going to be real tough to swallow.  And if he does poorly, fans will be screaming for blood (and Allen).

On 8/18/2018 at 8:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Given that the qb who starts game 3 is usually the one who will start the season, who do you think McDermott will start now that AJ is hurt? (This isn’t necessarily who you want to start, it’s who you think will start)

I am honestly not sure.  Before the injury to McCarron - I thought they would start Josh this week to get a chance to see him with the ones for a quarter and use some of game four for gameplanning.

With the injury, I think it could go either way.  I really like what I have seen from Josh, but make no mistake those have been mostly bland defenses even with the extra pressure.  I think he is the better prospect, but I am not sure he is ready.  

I voted Peterman because I think the injury changes McDermott’s mind and he decides to start the slightly more experienced player in week one and now uses game 3 to see if he can handle a somewhat gameplanned start.  I also think maybe he tries to give Allen a bit more time than normal with some of that time in the second quarter with the ones.

It is interesting, but I just don’t know what they have thrown at Allen and how ready he is to recognize and change based on blitz and coverage packages.

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think they’re saying to let Allen get his feet under him before subjecting him to a guaranteed beat down at the hands of BAL, LAC or MIN. Those arguing that feel that Allen would be more likely to get injured in those games. I don’t agree, but I think that is their argument. 

The mobile, 6'5" guy built like a LB is more likely to be hurt than Peterman?  Umm, right.  This argument is a big fail.

7 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

The only reasoning that makes even half way decent arguement I’ve even seen is.

“Opponent-specific game preparation as a starting NFL quarterback.”

Do I think it makes a little sense to have someone watch that. Sure. If it’s behind a proven winning QB.

I would assume the law of large numbers says that injuries to NFL quarterbacks show no trends as far as where in the season, career, or defense specific. It’s just a probability thing that trends even over time.

Look at Wentz. He’s an NFL QB behind a great line. He got hurt. No different than a car accident. Good drivers get in car accidents all the time.

You cannot hold back talent for fear of losing talent. Especially when 1st team reps are such an importance at the position. 

Ding ding ding.  What has Peterman done to suggest he's in a better position to beat a good defense?

I think McD's latest comments are a complete smoke screen.  

13 hours ago, wppete said:

It’s Josh Allen’s job just depends when he takes over. Maybe Peterman starts the first 4 games on the tough schedule. After that give the keys to Josh Allen and let him take over. 

this is what i hope happens...win lose or draw, i hope he gets a few games on the sideline to take it all in, do the mental reps and study film.  get the feeling of regular season game tempo.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yogi Berra said it about baseball but it's true of football too. "80% of the game is 1/2 mental". And QB is a more thinking and fast decision making position than catcher.  

This is where I think he could benefit learning how to read pro defenses and disguised coverages etc. Set him up to succeed when he gets in by knowing this stuff already.

i voted Nasty Nate. i think not starting Allen was the process. iF AJ is indeed out i suppose it could change.

i don't think it necessarily means who starts vs Ravens.

Hard to read the defense from the bench.

Unless this kid truly is a project, he should start, just as the majority of highly drafted QBs before him have.