Who will start preseason game 3 vs Bengals?

YoloinOhio

Who will start at QB Saturday vs Bengals?   

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start preseason game 3?

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Who starts game 3 vs who starts week 1 are two different things.

Allen deserves a shot with the ones in preseason. So should be him. 

That said, start Peterman. Watch an MFL QB prepare for a regular season game. See the game at real speed not preseason speed. Learn what regular season defenses are showing. Make sure the OL isn’t a total disaster. 

Exactly, this thread is about Preseason Week 3.

I for one believe McDermott when he talks about competition.  NP and JA are "competing" for the 3rd week starter.

Some weight has to be in JA court for getting at least one chance with the 1s.  So, unless JA regresses this week in practice I think

McDermott will stick to his ways and start him on Sunday.

After the game the ball is back in McDermott's court and they will have to decide on a Week 1 starter.

I believe that JAs pace of development (especially if he plays well Sunday) has been a surprise to Beane and McDermott.

It's going to be interesting to see what they decide. 

I changed my vote to Peterman. McDermott said after today they'll blend into a normal game week schedule so that players get used to what a normal week will be like.

Allen started today.

So, Peterman will start tomorrow as they go into the "normal preparation week."

I think this was planned because Peterman will be starting.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I changed my vote to Peterman. McDermott said after today they'll blend into a normal game week schedule so that players get used to what a normal week will be like.

Allen started today.

So, Peterman will start tomorrow as they go into the "normal preparation week."

I think this was planned because Peterman will be starting.

I don't understand your reasoning. A normal game week schedule has the Bills start practice on Monday getting ready for the Sunday opponent. Today is Monday and Allen is in with the ones. Even if they switch days off, Peterman is with the ones tomorrow, but Allen is with them on the most important practice day of the week, Wednesday, when they install the game plan.

I'm not saying any of this proves Allen starts or doesn't, I just don't understand the reasoning. The normal game work week seems to show the advantage to JA.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't understand your reasoning. A normal game week schedule has the Bills start practice on Monday getting ready for the Sunday opponent. Today is Monday and Allen is in with the ones. Even if they switch days off, Peterman is with the ones tomorrow, but Allen is with them on the most important practice day of the week, Wednesday, when they install the game plan.

I'm not saying any of this proves Allen starts or doesn't, I just don't understand the reasoning. The normal game work week seems to show the advantage to JA.

McDermott literally said they don't start it until tomorrow, when Peterman will be starting. That is because normal weeks start on Tuesday (not Monday). After a real game, the players have the next day off to recuperate.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

JA got all of today.  JA and NP will split the routine during the rest of the week.

I believe McD is talking about meeting, practice, film etc schedules.

Has nothing to do with them switching QB playing time.

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

McDermott literally said they don't start it until tomorrow, when Peterman will be starting. That is because normal weeks start on Tuesday (not Monday). After a real game, the players have the next day off to recuperate.

Many teams, including the Bills I'm pretty sure, practice on Mondays and have Tuesdays off. It's because they want them to move a little the next day after the tough game rather than rest. I did a quick google search and the first few articles I clicked on showed that, discussing the Monday practice during the regular season last year.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/6/16612872/buffalo-bills-monday-injury-report-practice-charles-clay-ej-gaines-cordy-glenn-zay-jones

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-marcell-dareus-missing-mondays-practice/

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Many teams, including the Bills I'm pretty sure, practice on Mondays and have Tuesdays off. It's because they want them to move a little the next day after the tough game rather than rest. I did a quick google search and the first few articles I clicked on showed that, discussing the Monday practice during the regular season last year.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/6/16612872/buffalo-bills-monday-injury-report-practice-charles-clay-ej-gaines-cordy-glenn-zay-jones

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-marcell-dareus-missing-mondays-practice/

This still doesn't change what McDermott literally said, with his mouth moving and vocal chords vibrating, during his press conference.

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This still doesn't change what McDermott literally said, with his mouth moving and vocal chords vibrating, during his press conference.

What he said was, "After today we will start to move into a blend into a normal week as we prepare for the next game. Part of that is so our players can get acclimated to the routine of a normal regular season week."

That to me says Wednesday is game plan day and Friday is walk through of game plan day and Sunday is game day and all of those would be Allen days.  

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What he said was, "After today we will start to move into a blend into a normal week as we prepare for the next game. Part of that is so our players can get acclimated to the routine of a normal regular season week."

That to me says Wednesday is game plan day and Friday is walk through of game plan day and Sunday is game day and all of those would be Allen days.  

Okay, you make a good argument here as long as they keep that rotation pattern during the week.

Unless there is some completely crazy stojan going on at practice neither we nor the media are witnessing, it's difficult to fathom Allen not starting this Sunday and being in line to start in Baltimore W1.

Ignore McD's comments -- he's trying (in vain) to keep his team's intentions private, and also trying to protect his rookie QB.

You know the veterans have been asked by the media about the QB competition...is it a coincidence that suddenly the word "trust" is being uttered about Allen?  That's called winning the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hard to read the defense from the bench.

Unless this kid truly is a project, he should start, just as the majority of highly drafted QBs before him have.

Was thinking more of like "When a LB lines up here it means he is disguising the overages so look over here .."  Watching what AJ or whoever does and then learning from that.  As opposed to him learning it by throwing a pick in a close game.

I understand the trial by fire argument.  But he's not Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.  All scouting reports before draft were "he's a project".  He still is and should be treated that way if at all possible IMHO.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Nevermind, I just read that tomorrow is an off day. So Peterman's days will be Wednesday and Friday if that rotation pattern holds.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Was thinking more of like "When a LB lines up here it means he is disguising the overages so look over here .."  Watching what AJ or whoever does and then learning from that.  As opposed to him learning it by throwing a pick in a close game.

I understand the trial by fire argument.  But he's not Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.  All scouting reports before draft were "he's a project".  He still is and should be treated that way if at all possible IMHO.

Would it be better to get 6 or 7 wins with the 2 career backups starting this year and Allen watching them flounder, or have Allen get 6 or 7 wins and actually learn how be a starter in the NFL by playing?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Would it be better to get 6 or 7 wins with the 2 career backups starting this year and Allen watching them flounder, or have Allen get 6 or 7 wins and actually learn how be a starter in the NFL by playing?

I don't know. I'd rather go 19-0.

My opinion is the consensus and also my opinion from watching college games is he is a project and should be treated as such.

As far as your question goes, I'd rather win 6 or 7 with someone else in than win 6 or 7 with Allen developing bad habits.

What's the hurry? He ain't going anywhere.  Wait till he's ready. Set him up to succeed. 

But if he starts he starts.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't know. I'd rather go 19-0.

My opinion is the consensus and also my opinion from watching college games is he is a project and should be treated as such.

As far as your question goes, I'd rather win 6 or 7 with someone else in than win 6 or 7 with Allen developing bad habits.

What's the hurry? He ain't going anywhere.  Wait till he's ready. Set him up to succeed. 

But if he starts he starts.

Go BILLS !!

Bad habits by playing in real games?  I disagree.  Bad habits change quick when the bullets are flying.

If he doesn't play, how do they judge that he is ready?  And after a season of sitting around (minus half a start), is Peterman "ready"?  Cured of his "bad habits"? 

Edited by Mr. WEO