Who will start preseason game 3 vs Bengals?

YoloinOhio

Who will start at QB Saturday vs Bengals?   

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start preseason game 3?

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kiper nust said on radio that it would be a huge mistake to throw Allen out there in Baltimore and he expects them to start Peterman since he’s at least started and prepared for actual nfl defenses before. He loves Allen but noted he’s not seen anything yet like he willl see in the regular season when it comes to defenses. He indicated that behind that OL he could be ruined early on from a confidence standpoint. 

In the next breath he expects Darnold to start. 

I understand your point against Kiper's rant.  But Darnold will start week 1 for sure.  So should Allen.  These guys weren't drafted to sit behind journeymen and watch their teams lose games. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I understand your point against Kiper's rant.  But Darnold will start week 1 for sure.  So should Allen.  These guys weren't drafted to sit behind journeymen and watch their teams lose games. 

While that may be true.....

which team is more willing to risk all by starting the rookie?

Not that Nate is a great prospect but he may give JA enough time to make the final learning steps in those first few weeks. 

I'd prefer to see Peterman only because I don't know how good/bad the O-line really is.  Last week they looked good, last night, bad.  In pre-season there's little schemeing going on, but that works both ways fro the Bill's O-line and the DL too.  So how will they really look and hold up against a regular season game plan?   Don't want to see a rookie out there with a bad line in front of him.  Admittedly I'm more thinking about the regular season than next week, but whomever starts next week will also likely start against Baltimore too.

Hmmm.... Just read the Kiper posts above, sounds like we think alike.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

While that may be true.....

which team is more willing to risk all by starting the rookie?

Not that Nate is a great prospect but he may give JA enough time to make the final learning steps in those first few weeks. 

Final learning steps against his own team's backups in practice?

• Like (+1) 1

...please Lord include this 9-Juan-Juan Castillo in the first round of cuts......as far as his abilities, replace development with detriment...get Mouse McNally on the horn to fix this OL mess....hell he's only 74 and would be light years ahead of the current clown.....

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kiper just said on radio that it would be a huge mistake to throw Allen out there in Baltimore and he expects them to start Peterman since he’s at least started and prepared for actual nfl defenses before. He loves Allen but noted he’s not seen anything yet like he willl see in the regular season when it comes to defenses. He indicated that behind that OL he could be ruined early on from a confidence standpoint. 

In the next breath he expects Darnold to start. 

There is no perfect answer. Allen is more talented by far, neither QB has enough experience to offset a skilled NFL defense. I try not to ever draw too many conclusions from preseason games for all the reasons we all understand, but Allen really looks special.

I like Peterman he will be a good BU QB for the Bills.

But our future is 17 and the future is now..

If Peterman had a bit more arm or zip on the ball he could be a starter but he doesn't have it and CB's will anticipate throws because of that.

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

It really doesn't take a lot of courage for McDermott to start Allen.

Preseason is the time to figure out the possibilities and  I can't see McDermott 'playing it safe'.

Allen sure looks to be on schedule. 

He starts.

I think they will start Allen.

This may look like it has randomly, organically evolved over time including AJ's injury, but I suspect this was all drawn up on the chalk board a couple months ago.

Things are progressing according to a defined plan, so that Allen can be named the starter and start Week 1 in Baltimore.

I said it would play out that way a few months ago.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman has one full game of NFL experience more than Josh. And half of it was the worst half in NFL history. It's not like he has all this experience factor over him. 

He doesn’t have more game playing experience, but McD could say he had more game prep experience. Either way, it’s not a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that some players speak highly of Allen, including locker room leaders like LorAx, might be a message to McDermott that the players are buying in to Allen and want him to play.

I was firmly in the "sit Allen" camp, but he's shown he's capable. He should start Sunday as the final test. If he aces it, he's the starter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it's Allen, it kind of feels like it did this last week where he did well in the 1st ps game but people wanted to see him with better players around him. Then they moved him up to the 2s in practice and that's what he got in the game. This time he did really well and people think he should get a shot with the ones. I know game 3 is usually the dress rehearsal but it's not like that's etched in stone.

Edited by Warcodered

I think the plan has been, see what the kid can do.  Put him out with the 3rd string, played well enough for a shot with the 2nd team...played well enough for a shot with the 1s.  Peterman is, at this point, a known commodity.  I don't think Allen is a lock for week 1 starter yet, but I think he starts vs Cinci, as a bit of a final exam...and his chance to win the week one start.  McD has been watching and waiting for him to stumble, for him to be overwhelmed, for him to show he isn't ready.  Instead, he's shown poise and game presence I'm stunned to see in a rookie.  I know it's preseason, but just compare Allen in the two-minute drill compared to what we had last season.

Allen is further ahead then planned, exceeding expectations.  I think he gets the start vs. Cinci, with a chance to win the regular season starting job.