The Case for Peterman

DollaBills

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

There is no case for Peterman.  I'm not sure why you guys are advocating this.  Hey he looked good with the 1's because it was the 1's.  He had 1 pass to O'Leary with the 3's that went for a TD on a blown coverage that a guy like Derek Anderson would also make.  Nothing impressive.

Bottom line, Our OL got AJ hurt and sadly it was our best lineman Dawkins. I'm not sure what Juan teaches but that was just terrible technique by Dawkins.  He even lowered his head taking on Garrett.  WTF was that?  In any case, there is only 1 QB on this team that can overcome the sad a$$ OL and that's Allen.  Ducasse should not be playing.  And Dawkins has to play better.  Garrett bullied him on the playground last night.  Mills didn't have a clue at times.  It was just a sad and pathetic looking bunch.  Allen needs to start because he can extend plays and his arm will scare defenses.  Peterman is not going to extend plays and his arm is just what defenses love when a QB is having to run for his life.

There needs to be a shake-up at LG.  Miller seemed OK at RG.

I wonder how much of the bad O line play was Bodine making the O line calls rather than Groy, who started last week?  They looked light years better vs Carolina when Groy started.

Also remember Myles Garrett went 1 overall for a reason.

4 hours ago, ericcomposer72 said:

Honest question:

If Peterman starts against the Ravens and throws 3+ INT in the first half, does McD then have to send Allen out for the 2nd half, basically anointing him "starter" going forward?

Would the coaching staff then look even dumber than when they benched Tyrod?

I know it's a hypothetical, but I don't think it's a crazy scenario to ponder.

Given the approach you should also ponder the hypothetical Peterman gets game 1 start, despite the media and fan love for Allen, throws 3 TDS in the first half and the coaches look like geniuses for starting a 5th rd pick, that threw 5int in a half, over the rookie 7th overall pick.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Peterman can't throw a 60 yard bomb, but Allen can't complete 85% of his passes either. I'll take the guy that keeps us on the field until Allen is clearly better. They shouldn't give him the job until he consistently outperforms the guy in front of him. Once that happens, I'm team Allen. 

Must be hell for you watching Allen out perform the veterans on this team. So far the haters are looking quit foolish, hopefully that continues. You should turn your sights to the online or linebackers, that’s where the real problem lies with this team...if you can’t see that Allen is already better, there’s not much to discuss...

Edited by Fred Clause

I have been pleasantly surprised by Josh Allen's play so far.  I think he has a chance to be a good long-term answer at QB.  He might even give the team the best hope to win in the short run.  However, this team is not built to win now.  The OL looks like it could be a big problem and WR is surely an under-talented position.  While Allen has looked poised against 2nd and 3rd team defenses, he still is learning.

Given the weaknesses everywhere on offense and that this team is in no way a serious contender this year, I think it would be smart to have Peterman be the sacrificial lamb while Allen learns more.  The combination of poor OL play and a weak receiving group is going to get another QB killed like McCarron was mauled tonight.  

37 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

There is no case for Peterman.  I'm not sure why you guys are advocating this.  Hey he looked good with the 1's because it was the 1's.  He had 1 pass to O'Leary with the 3's that went for a TD on a blown coverage that a guy like Derek Anderson would also make.  Nothing impressive.

Bottom line, Our OL got AJ hurt and sadly it was our best lineman Dawkins. I'm not sure what Juan teaches but that was just terrible technique by Dawkins.  He even lowered his head taking on Garrett.  WTF was that?  In any case, there is only 1 QB on this team that can overcome the sad a$$ OL and that's Allen.  Ducasse should not be playing.  And Dawkins has to play better.  Garrett bullied him on the playground last night.  Mills didn't have a clue at times.  It was just a sad and pathetic looking bunch.  Allen needs to start because he can extend plays and his arm will scare defenses.  Peterman is not going to extend plays and his arm is just what defenses love when a QB is having to run for his life.

There needs to be a shake-up at LG.  Miller seemed OK at RG.

It's almost like a good sized group of Bills fans can't handle the thought of finally having a great QB, they are so programed for the Kelly Holcombs, the Kyle Ortons, the Tyrod Taylors of the world. Like

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Given the weaknesses everywhere on offense and that this team is in no way a serious contender this year, I think it would be smart to have Peterman be the sacrificial lamb while Allen learns more.  The combination of poor OL play and a weak receiving group is going to get another QB killed like McCarron was mauled tonight.  

Another good point.  IMO, though they will never admit it publicly, this is probably the conversation the honchos are going to have in order to come to a decision by week 1. 

Allen's arm is about more than just going deep. Look at all his throws last night there was some tight window short throws that he zipped it in really quick and the db had no chance turn around and make a pick on it. peterman's ball takes forever to get there allows plenty of time for the DB to find it and pick it as we saw in the Chargers game

Allen is superior to Peterman.  There is no doubt.  That’s being said, the Ravens, Chargers and Vikings are games 1-3. Does Josh Allen survive vs those 3 defenses with this OL?  Bad things man.  

• Like (+1) 1

I just rewatched and I know peterman was playing with the 3's and my knowledge might not be on par with some of the others here but he didn't really stand out to me. Playing against the the 3's you would want your QB to stand out and he didn't really. The TD was a busted coverage that he made a good read to see, but otherwise this week he looked more average. 

Just my .02 

Start Peterman vs. Baltimore.  I think both QBs would have a very tough time in that game.  If Peterman surprises and pulls off a good game or a W then bring him back vs. SanDiego.  If he fails (like 95% of people think he will).. then it’s easy to have Josh start his first game at home. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

These are Nate Peterman's stats in the 30 minutes (two quarters) of playing time he had last year:

• 24/49 = 49% completion rate
  • 252 yards, for an average of 5.1 per attempt
  • TD to Interception Ratio: 2/5
  • Overall QB Rating: 38.4

And people want to make a serious argument he should start?

Last year? 

FWIW   we saw 5 games with ratings that bad. 

We need to see if he has improved and who of the (now) two of them takes control of the offense. 

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Peterman can't throw a 60 yard bomb, but Allen can't complete 85% of his passes either. I'll take the guy that keeps us on the field until Allen is clearly better. They shouldn't give him the job until he consistently outperforms the guy in front of him. Once that happens, I'm team Allen. 

He can't even complete 85% of his passes??  Cut him now.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

He can't throw an effective NFL 'out' pattern.

It's a pick 6 waiting to happen.

That was my thought on the almost pick 6. My first thought was if that was Allen the ball would have gotten to the receiver a nano second earlier....CB was playing the ball....catch and run for 10 or more yards.  On the other hand, Peterman did see the blitz coming from the right on one play took a one step drop and hit the unattended TE for a nice completion. For that play my thought was ..... I wonder if Allen would have seen that. Conclusion: Allen can pick that stuff up, doubt Peterman can aquire Allen's arm.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

I am in on peterman as well.  Looked good in preseason thus far.  Dont want Allen to get killed behind our o-line.  Lets get through this season, get some WRs and OL next off season and put Allen in there.

You don't want Allen to get killed but Peterman IS going to get killed and Allen will have to play anyway.