The Case for Peterman

DollaBills

1 hour ago, The Process said:

That was my thought on the almost pick 6. My first thought was if that was Allen the ball would have gotten to the receiver a nano second earlier....CB was playing the ball....catch and run for 10 or more yards.  On the other hand, Peterman did see the blitz coming from the right on one play took a one step drop and hit the unattended TE for a nice completion. For that play my thought was ..... I wonder if Allen would have seen that. Conclusion: Allen can pick that stuff up, doubt Peterman can aquire Allen's arm.

I like Peterman, I know it sounds like I bash him often. I'd like him as a QB2 or QB3. I think he understands the game and has value in the QB room.

He has the brain and has shown a really nice rhythm. He just doesn't have the physical tools.  Daboll would have to craft a Chad Pennington style offense around him for him to be effective. Really good teams can defense that though.

Allen is raw but can make every throw. You can't defend some of the things he can do. We just have to be willing to take the good with the bad. I'd understand if AJM is out for a while, if the Bills start Peterman for 4 games or so. Reminds me of when Pederson started the first 4-5 games for the Eagles while McNabb caught up, and I think Allen has a more exciting skill set than McNabb.

If that is the case I don't want to see Peterman throwing long, or throwing out patterns. He just doesn't have it. A quick strike, short pass rhythm game is where Peterman can do best. He is not a long term answer though, IMO.

1 hour ago, BmarvB said:

No way do you throw Allen in there behind that OL.

I think people overstate this argument. First of all there are very very few good offensive lines in the NFL. If we're waiting for a great offensive line before we start Allen, we'll be waiting years. More importantly the 2nd team offensive line wasn't any better. It LOOKED better because Allen is so quick with the ball and he's athletic. He can make throws under pressure that McCarron doesn't have a prayer of completing. And he can escape the pocket a lot better than McCarron and Peterman. Put him with the 1s and suddenly the offensive line will look decent. Like the TD he threw, that was poor pass protection. If McCarron is in on that play he would take that sack and you would be saying "can we trust Allen with the 2nd team o-line?"

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

We always hear, if you don’t start your best QB you are in danger of losing the team. McD needs to start Allen. There is no debate on who the better QB is. 

So shouldn't that be the guy with the most yards per attempt, completion percentage and touchdowns? Starting Allen ahead of Peterman at THIS point is giving him a handout. Make him earn the job by playing better.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Um Peterman is a career 50% QB, where do you get this 85% nonsense?

Oh wait...I know...one drive against literally the most Vanilla D possible with no game plan, a scheme he will never once ever face in an actual game because it was the first preseason game of the season...combined with a quarter against scrubs who won’t be in the NFL in 2 weeks.  

Against real competition he’s sub 50% in regular and post season with 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  And he’s the only QB to turn the ball over this preseason and almost had another pick 6 on his first pass against scrubs yesterday.  

Yet you want to act like he’s some high percentage completion guy all of a sudden.  If he was capable of regularly doing what you say, he would have been leading this competition by a wide margin and AJM wouldn’t have even had a chance to start yesterday.  But you see, he is NOT dominating or consistent in practice either the way you describe him.  Instead you are over exaggerating SCRIMMAGE type scenarios as if it’s his normal output.

So why hasn’t the king sealed the job in practice if he’s so accurate like you say?

Against the exact same players Peterman is 85% and Allen is 56%. Peterman torched 1's, and Allen did pretty well too, but not as well. Peterman then destroyed the 3's and Allen struggled. It's public record - Peterman is 85% through the pre-season. Last season is in the past. Nate was also a 61% college passer,s o not sure where you get 50% from 

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When will this myth die? There is a lot more to arm strength than throwing the ball deep. A good example is the pick six Peterman threw that the defender dropped. If Allen throws that ball it is a completion. Peterman can't throw those short outside hitches, Allen can hit then easily.

There's also a lot more to completing passes than Arm strength. You don't always have to play hero ball and fit a ball in a tight window to make a great play. If your scheme and your WRs arent complete trash, you should be able to make a good play without needing a cannon. Maybe you can't make "that" play, but lots of Hall of Fame QBS didn't have rocket launchers. I feel like the barometer for NFL arm has gotten thrown out of whack around here, because Allen has one of the strongest arms in he last 30 years, at least. You don't need that to complete passes and win football games.

Edited by BullBuchanan

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I like Peterman.

He’s a Team guy who you want in your locker room.

If you believe we have a legit shot to do something of meaning this year( deep run on the playoffs) you approach the season trying to get each win above all else.

If you believe you are a team that has a lot of holes or lacks depth at too many positions then you can get yourself into the mindset of starting your rookie QB.

Peterman is a backup. If we were able to draft our backup last year, and keep him on a cheap rookie deal, bully for us. 

Allen has “ IT”. He is also raw as heck. He also looks like a guy who you can’t “ ruin”. But, if you think Kelly had a rough introductory season in ‘86 you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

JA is going to do some STUPID rookie stuff. Bad picks, bad clock management, take unnecessary sacks and just generally look Rookie-ish. I can handle watching that knowing the dividends it will pay next year when we have the cap room and draft picks to surround him with better talent.

People here are in denial that Allen will look like a typical rookie complete with mistakes while he grows.  

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's also a lot more to completing passes than Arm strength. You don't always have to play hero ball and fit a ball in a tight window to make a great play. If your scheme and your WRs arent complete trash, you should be able to make a good play without needing a cannon. Maybe you can't make "that" play, but lot's of Hall of Fame QBS didn't have rocket launchers. I feel like the barometer for NFL arm has gotten thrown out of whack around here, because Allen has one of the strongest arms in he last 30 years, at least. You don't need that to complete passes and win football games.

Maybe Peterman does not want to take a chance on this but if I were McDermott I would be trying to get Peterman into the weight room to work on that.  

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Pickerman's first pass last night sealed it for me.  That should have been a pick 6, but the 3rd string CB couldn't pull it off.  A first string CB will.  Allen's ball is so fast that the CB won't have time to make the pick 6.  Allen should be the Bills starting QB against B'more.

And Allen flinging the ball up in the air last week while getting tackled was every bit as bad. That was "almost a pick six" too. What's your point?

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Pickerman's first pass last night sealed it for me.  That should have been a pick 6, but the 3rd string CB couldn't pull it off.  A first string CB will.  Allen's ball is so fast that the CB won't have time to make the pick 6.  Allen should be the Bills starting QB against B'more.

False: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_career.htm

I’m seeing less and less reason to start NP as the preseason goes on. He throws a very interceptable ball. It looks like he’s a capable backup at best. With the McCarron injury, the only deciding factor in this competition will be when, not IF Allen is ready. In the eyes of the coaches, that is. Any case for Peterman begins and ends with Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BmarvB said:

Some people just won't let go of that one bad game. Even Jim Kelly had games he'd like to forget. Peterman got over it, put it behind him, and moved on. With McCarron hurt, he could very well be the week 1 starter. He's playing much better right now. No way do you throw Allen in there behind that OL.

I remember Jimbo throwing 3 picks in the first half of a MNF game against Cincy. Honestly the only throws that concern me about NP are the quick side line outs like some have mentioned. He just doesn't get it there as quick and elite and top DBs are gonna jump routes for INTs. He does pretty well other than that.

8 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The reason why Peterman should be the backup is he has the tools of a backup

QB.  That 7 yard out that he constantly floats for the defenders to jumpmin front of is a great example of why he is not a starter in this league.

Please explain how this is a good tool for a backup.

If you're in the playoffs and he gets put him do you really need a guy that throws dying ducks like he did vs Jacksonville?  What good is that?