The Case for Peterman

DollaBills

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Peterman can't throw a 60 yard bomb, but Allen can't complete 85% of his passes either. I'll take the guy that keeps us on the field until Allen is clearly better. They shouldn't give him the job until he consistently outperforms the guy in front of him. Once that happens, I'm team Allen. 

Um Peterman is a career 50% QB, where do you get this 85% nonsense?

Oh wait...I know...one drive against literally the most Vanilla D possible with no game plan, a scheme he will never once ever face in an actual game because it was the first preseason game of the season...combined with a quarter against scrubs who won’t be in the NFL in 2 weeks.  

Against real competition he’s sub 50% in regular and post season with 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  And he’s the only QB to turn the ball over this preseason and almost had another pick 6 on his first pass against scrubs yesterday.  

Yet you want to act like he’s some high percentage completion guy all of a sudden.  If he was capable of regularly doing what you say, he would have been leading this competition by a wide margin and AJM wouldn’t have even had a chance to start yesterday.  But you see, he is NOT dominating or consistent in practice either the way you describe him.  Instead you are over exaggerating SCRIMMAGE type scenarios as if it’s his normal output.

So why hasn’t the king sealed the job in practice if he’s so accurate like you say?

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Allen is superior to Peterman.  There is no doubt.  That’s being said, the Ravens, Chargers and Vikings are games 1-3. Does Josh Allen survive vs those 3 defenses with this OL?  Bad things man.  

...his mobility for a big kid is surprising but hell no as a steady diet....posters have fingered McCarron as the culprit for holding the ball too long, which is probably true......then again, the OL did a helluva job opening gaping holes for Shady, right?...just askin'.......

Some people just won't let go of that one bad game. Even Jim Kelly had games he'd like to forget. Peterman got over it, put it behind him, and moved on. With McCarron hurt, he could very well be the week 1 starter. He's playing much better right now. No way do you throw Allen in there behind that OL.

Edited by BmarvB

There are 3 weeks left before the first game.

A lot of time and room for improvement. Josh could hit a wall or Peterman can shine. Both are going to get their time with the ones this week and the game should say a lot. I’d expect a rotation through the 3rd Qtr. 3-4 series each. Starters should play into the 3rd Qtr.

Daboll needs time after that to game plan for who McD selects as a starter. Daboll uses players for their strengths, but he needs to know who those guys are....

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

5 hours ago, Mr Beavers said:

Not very funny to you.  You don't speak for everyone my friend.  I'm probably a little older than you and guys my generation and older will be more prone to laughing at something like this.  Thanks for your input though.  Yes, we are all a bit childish as guys - the absolute truth.  Sorry for knocking your opinion man.  I'm just defensive about my little joke as you can tell.  No hard feelings.

Apologies nucci and everyone.  I don't know why I'm so defensive this morning.  I'll shut up now.

Don't apologize,for what? 

16 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

A lot of time and room for improvement. Josh could hit a wall or Peterman can shine. Both are going to get their time with the ones this week and the game should say a lot. I’d expect a rotation through the 3rd Qtr. 3-4 series each. Starters should play into the 3rd Qtr.

Daboll needs time after that to game plan for who McD selects as a starter. Daboll uses players for their strengths, but he needs to know who those guys are....

To me, it's Allen's job to lose.  I was against the pick but when we picked him I got on board and he won me in his interviews.  I said in May that in a perfect scenario I'd like Allen to start like week 11 but could very well see him starting week 1 and I'm not a fan of a rookie going into Baltimore against their secondary but it's what it is.  What I will say is that one way to keep defenses honest is to move the pocket and throw to the perimeter.  Guess which one of these QB's does that best?  It sure isn't the 5 INT guy from last year.  HE doesn't have the arm to attack the perimeter.  Secondly, one other way to keep defenders honest, even if you don't hit a deep pass over the top is to threaten them with it.  Guess which one of these QB's will make the DB's work for their money deep?  Again, it isn't the guy from last year.  Finally, when you have a bad OL you need a QB who has the ability to extend plays.  A sitting duck is going to get shot.   Guess which guy does that best?  So to me there is no argument for Peterman except as a backup.  We don't want to rush it but I think the time is here.

25 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Pretty sure Daboll works with the HC on picking the starters....he's already working on the game plan...

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He can't even complete 85% of his passes??  Cut him now.

Neither does Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Carson Wentz so I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean...

Not the way teams usually go about things in preseason, but maybe the Bills now give JA the majority of first team reps and start him next week. If he does well they install him as starter for the season opener. If he struggles they start Peterman.

JA is clearly the future and maybe the future is now but I'm a little nervous about throwing him to the wolves immediately. I'm not worried about his losing his confidence. He looks to be as strong mentally as he is physically. That said I might feel better if he got to start acclimating to the pro environment on the sidelines for a few games anyway.

I think Peterman may have the wherewithal to develop into a good long term backup for the Bills. When it comes to arm strength I'm not that concerned about his long ball. The PI TD that he threw to Streater in game 1 travelled 40 yards in the air and was spot on target. I think he can probably be effective within a range of 50 yards. That's not JA or Mahomes range but it may stretch the field just enuf. I am more concerned about velocity on throws in the intermediate range. I suspect that he can throw a decent out to his left but has difficulting making that throw at the NFL level to his right. As a right handed QB this suggests to me that the problem may be partly mechanical. You can maybe get away with less than ideal mechanics if you have Allen's arm, but Peterman does not have that luxury (and there is WYO tape of Allen getting pick sixed on a shallow out as well, the problem there being misreading coverage more than lack of arm strength). 

Peterman not only has good chemistry with our # 1 but, for those who remember his Senior Bowl, with Zay as well. I think he has the smarts and the basic skill set to execute Daboll's offence competently. So I would not be against him getting the start against the Ravens. But if Allen does well against the 1s in practice and in game 3 it will be difficult to deny him the start, as he will have earned it. 

I think Peterman has made a case for himself. All of his detractors are just blowing smoke. He played well with the starters. People excused it away because of awesome O-Line that got AJ destroyed the next week. Then the 3's are terrible and Peterman takes it to the house. The same guys people were crying got Allen destroyed.

Josh Allen is on the rise and if he is the hot arm you roll with him but in no way is Peterman slouching handing the job away. It's a real competition. 

At least come back to reality when talking about Peterman some of you are way to far gone to take serious. 

Edited by Lfod

To me Peterman can be an OK backup in the NFL. He doesn't appear to have the required arm strength to be consistently effective as a starter. When teams start game planning towards him and taking away all of the throws over the middle, we're going to see many INT's in my opinion; however, Peterman can come in and start a game or two and possibly be effective against weaker defenses.

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

These are Nate Peterman's stats in the 30 minutes (two quarters) of playing time he had last year:

• 24/49 = 49% completion rate
  • 252 yards, for an average of 5.1 per attempt
  • TD to Interception Ratio: 2/5
  • Overall QB Rating: 38.4

And people want to make a serious argument he should start?

What's his stats for his two preseason games?

Look,Josh is going to be the Man,but a lot of problems need to be fix on the OLbefore we end up having him in sickbay with AJ.

I trust the coaches decision either way!

10 hours ago, DollaBills said:

He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes. 

When will this myth die? There is a lot more to arm strength than throwing the ball deep. A good example is the pick six Peterman threw that the defender dropped. If Allen throws that ball it is a completion. Peterman can't throw those short outside hitches, Allen can hit then easily.

I'll preface my point of view by stating that for the first time in a couple ..decades... I feel confident that our coaching staff is going to make the right decision for the team, now and for the future.

The dilemma here is that Peterman clearly has gotten mental aspect of the game down.  By all accounts, he seems to have picked up the new offense and has performed well in camp.  In games, he's really good at reading the defense and almost always makes the proper presnap read and subsequent throw.  His problems are physical.  He clearly lacks the elite arm you want in an NFL QB. And when the pocket collapses (or in many cases, never even arrives), he looks skittish and usually something bad happens.

Josh, on the other hand, has all the physical tools you could ever dream of in a QB.  But, mentally, he's going to make a lot of bad decisions when the real bullets start to fly.  There's not a doubt in my mind, nor anyone with half a brain, that he is the future of this franchise.   Period and done. The only quesiton at this point is ...when is that future?

So, do we want the smart guy that's going to throw interceptions because he has a weak arm?  Or the sexy beast of an arm that's going to throw interceptions because of poor his decisions?

Prior to this game, I was confident that AJM was going to be the week 1 starter with Peterman as the backup. (AJM plays well and we trade him for a good draft pick after the season and move on) Now, I have no idea if AJM sees the field for the Bills again.  I can see arguments for both guys, Allen and Peterman, starting.  I will say this though.  I really like the idea of Peterman as our long term backup. He's smart, prepares well, and seems like a good team player.  I love the thought of Allen as the face of the franchise burning up the league for 15 years.   But man, I hate starting rookie QBs, always have.  But, do we have a real choice?   

More than anything, I guess I just hope the fans on this board and in the stadium, get behind and support whoever is on the field.  Either player is going to have good and bad throws/decisions.  And with our current Oline and WR situation, it's a likely to start off more bad than good for both of them.  Peterman is not all bad.  Allen is not guaranteed to be a savior.  They both need our support and prayers for a healthy season (cause we're likely to see both play one way or another).

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Allen is superior to Peterman.  There is no doubt.  That’s being said, the Ravens, Chargers and Vikings are games 1-3. Does Josh Allen survive vs those 3 defenses with this OL?  Bad things man.  

THIS is the case for Peterman. He's a punching bag for the first few games against tough defenses. There is no case for Peterman that involves his talent level.

• Like (+1) 1