The Case for Peterman

DollaBills

I like Peterman.

He’s a Team guy who you want in your locker room.

If you believe we have a legit shot to do something of meaning this year( deep run on the playoffs) you approach the season trying to get each win above all else.

If you believe you are a team that has a lot of holes or lacks depth at too many positions then you can get yourself into the mindset of starting your rookie QB.

Peterman is a backup. If we were able to draft our backup last year, and keep him on a cheap rookie deal, bully for us. 

Allen has “ IT”. He is also raw as heck. He also looks like a guy who you can’t “ ruin”. But, if you think Kelly had a rough introductory season in ‘86 you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

JA is going to do some STUPID rookie stuff. Bad picks, bad clock management, take unnecessary sacks and just generally look Rookie-ish. I can handle watching that knowing the dividends it will pay next year when we have the cap room and draft picks to surround him with better talent.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr Beavers said:

It's a JOKE, bro.  It's silly.  And some guys out there will get it and laugh a little. And I'm a little childish myself, I'll admit it.  Big deal.  You only live once.  Might as well enjoy the **** out of it.

I get it....just not very funny.....we're all a bit childish...we're guys....

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

I get it....just not very funny.....we're all a bit childish...we're guys....

Not very funny to you.  You don't speak for everyone my friend.  I'm probably a little older than you and guys my generation and older will be more prone to laughing at something like this.  Thanks for your input though.  Yes, we are all a bit childish as guys - the absolute truth.  Sorry for knocking your opinion man.  I'm just defensive about my little joke as you can tell.  No hard feelings.

Apologies nucci and everyone.  I don't know why I'm so defensive this morning.  I'll shut up now.

Edited by Mr Beavers

1 minute ago, Mr Beavers said:

Not very funny to you.  You don't speak for everyone my friend.  I'm probably a little older than you and guys my generation and older will be more prone to laughing at something like this.  Thanks for your input though.  Yes, we are all a bit childish as guys - the absolute truth.  Sorry for knocking your opinion man.  I'm just defensive about my little joke as you can tell.  No hard feelings.

None taken and you may not be as older than me than you think....

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Peterman can't throw a 60 yard bomb, but Allen can't complete 85% of his passes either. I'll take the guy that keeps us on the field until Allen is clearly better. They shouldn't give him the job until he consistently outperforms the guy in front of him. Once that happens, I'm team Allen. 

Who can?

3 hours ago, DollaBills said:

Quietly however, Nathan Peterman has been having a couple of solid games in the preseason. He's got a clear rapport with Benjamin, who may be a saving grace on an offense that is usually predictably overly reliant on Lesean McCoy's ability to make plays as a runner and as a passer. He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes. 

No, no there’s not.?

3 key QB plays to consider:

1) A throw in the flat near the sideline

2) forced to run on 3rd & 7

3) scrambling around, a receiver breaks free running very deep

Who ya got?

A) Allen

B) Peterman

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In 52 career pass attempts he has 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  He only completed 50% of his passes last preseason, and less than 50% in reg and post season.  

His 2nd drive of the preseason this year he threw a pick again.  His first pass of the 2nd game tonight was a dropped pick six.

The TD pass tonight to O’Leary was slow and behind him so bad that despite being wide open by 10+ yards with a clear path the endzone, Nick had to slow down and wait for the ball that led to the defender getting to him requiring Nick to break a tackle to score on what should have been a walk in TD on broken coverage.

So no, it’s not just people saying one game, it’s his body of work past and present.  Every time he throws an out pattern it’s a risk to get picked.  He played one drive with KB and now all of a sudden he has a “connection”?  Talk about over exaggerating one drive in the first preseason game.  

I dont know what NP has done to warrant this mythological elevation of him, but it’s like he has hypnotized people.  And people are not enamored with Allen because he can throw it deep, it’s his ability to get passes into places others can’t, his ability to move and avoid the pressure in the pocket, how poised he is, etc.  NP has performed terribly under pressure so far, and one or two drives don’t change the body of work.

Most importantly, NP just doesn’t have the ability to make all the throws while can not only make all the throws, but he can also make some that most other people can’t make.

Sorry I just have yet see NP play a game where I go this can be a consistent starter in this league.  I hope he proves me wrong, but right now I can’t make a case for him over Allen.

52 career passes. He started as a 5th round draft pick in his first year, on the road, against the best defense in the NFL and then had a blizzard game, and you know everything you need to know right there. 

OK. Well I don't and I'll take a guy that completes everything except 3 passes over two games - with the bad players (whom Allen completed a far worse percentage) and the good players (with whom McCarron blew chunks). I know that he shouldn't have been put in that position against SD and even then, his team gave him no shot at all at playing well. It's like thinking that Josh Allen starting last night's game would have faired much better than McCarron. 

And there's no correlation between throwing the ball fast and throwing interceptions. None. For every Ryan Fitzpatrick I'll show you Chad Pennington or Joe Montana or a young Tom Brady - who people tend to forget was not known as a fastballer when he came up. Hell Drew Brees won't win a war based on his spin. Conversely, the number of guys with rockets that can't play in this league are selling an awful lot of used cars.

The ball to O'Leary got there. It ended in 6 points. Got there slow, got there fast ... he found the open man. That seems to be what he's done this year and it's a new year and I'll give him the space to succeed. You seem to be the only one that wants to credit him for the INT to Ivory. Funny how Allen fans won't credit Khari Lee as being the main reason for that long pass in the first game, but it's all NP's fault an NFL regular can't catch a pass on his left shoulder pad. Honestly, WTF?

He's not the future but so far this year, he's earned the right to start the 3rd PS game. Maybe I'll have a different take on the guy next week but right now he's our starter. So, that's what I see. 

• Like (+1) 1

These are Nate Peterman's stats in the 30 minutes (two quarters) of playing time he had last year:

• 24/49 = 49% completion rate
  • 252 yards, for an average of 5.1 per attempt
  • TD to Interception Ratio: 2/5
  • Overall QB Rating: 38.4

And people want to make a serious argument he should start?

4 hours ago, DollaBills said:

Josh Allen is a prospect. He's showing that he can be a starting NFL QB. Its promising and makes me feel good about Beane/McDermott's regime.

Quietly however, Nathan Peterman has been having a couple of solid games in the preseason. He's got a clear rapport with Benjamin, who may be a saving grace on an offense that is usually predictably overly reliant on Lesean McCoy's ability to make plays as a runner and as a passer. He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes. 

The same people that want Allen in NOW and dont even consider Peterman are the same people who will you Peterman threw 5 int's vs The chargers last year. In their minds, Peterman is not even in the discussion because he's already a "bust". There is more than one person on the football team however. 5 int's sounds bad, but many of them were errant timings with receivers and an o-line that was getting steamrolled on the line of scrimmage.

Allen could very well be the franchise guy. The issue is who is the better Quarterback in two weeks.

Peterman could easily be him. 

5th round draft picks can't be considered busts. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

5th round draft picks can't be considered busts. 

And they shouldn't be starting in their first year, on the road, against a premier defense. Please point out to me the other NFL teams that started a 5th round QB in their first year, because I'm pretty sure I can come up with a stack that didn't.

It makes the Charger argument irrelevant as could possibly be. 

What is amazing to me is that after 15 years of getting our brains beaten in by Tom Brady, Bills fans have missed the clear, simple, obvious way to winning games: 

Throw to the open man.

4 hours ago, ericcomposer72 said:

Honest question:

If Peterman starts against the Ravens and throws 3+ INT in the first half, does McD then have to send Allen out for the 2nd half, basically anointing him "starter" going forward?

Would the coaching staff then look even dumber than when they benched Tyrod?

I know it's a hypothetical, but I don't think it's a crazy scenario to ponder.

That’s kind of what the Texans did last year.

There is no case for Peterman.  I'm not sure why you guys are advocating this.  Hey he looked good with the 1's because it was the 1's.  He had 1 pass to O'Leary with the 3's that went for a TD on a blown coverage that a guy like Derek Anderson would also make.  Nothing impressive.

Bottom line, Our OL got AJ hurt and sadly it was our best lineman Dawkins. I'm not sure what Juan teaches but that was just terrible technique by Dawkins.  He even lowered his head taking on Garrett.  WTF was that?  In any case, there is only 1 QB on this team that can overcome the sad a$$ OL and that's Allen.  Ducasse should not be playing.  And Dawkins has to play better.  Garrett bullied him on the playground last night.  Mills didn't have a clue at times.  It was just a sad and pathetic looking bunch.  Allen needs to start because he can extend plays and his arm will scare defenses.  Peterman is not going to extend plays and his arm is just what defenses love when a QB is having to run for his life.

There needs to be a shake-up at LG.  Miller seemed OK at RG.