The Case for Peterman

DollaBills

Josh Allen is a prospect. He's showing that he can be a starting NFL QB. Its promising and makes me feel good about Beane/McDermott's regime.

Quietly however, Nathan Peterman has been having a couple of solid games in the preseason. He's got a clear rapport with Benjamin, who may be a saving grace on an offense that is usually predictably overly reliant on Lesean McCoy's ability to make plays as a runner and as a passer. He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes. 

The same people that want Allen in NOW and dont even consider Peterman are the same people who will you Peterman threw 5 int's vs The chargers last year. In their minds, Peterman is not even in the discussion because he's already a "bust". There is more than one person on the football team however. 5 int's sounds bad, but many of them were errant timings with receivers and an o-line that was getting steamrolled on the line of scrimmage.

Allen could very well be the franchise guy. The issue is who is the better Quarterback in two weeks.

Peterman could easily be him. 

Honest question:

If Peterman starts against the Ravens and throws 3+ INT in the first half, does McD then have to send Allen out for the 2nd half, basically anointing him "starter" going forward?

Would the coaching staff then look even dumber than when they benched Tyrod?

I know it's a hypothetical, but I don't think it's a crazy scenario to ponder.

Edited by ericcomposer72

8 hours ago, DollaBills said:

Josh Allen is a prospect. He's showing that he can be a starting NFL QB. Its promising and makes me feel good about Beane/McDermott's regime.

Quietly however, Nathan Peterman has been having a couple of solid games in the preseason. He's got a clear rapport with Benjamin, who may be a saving grace on an offense that is usually predictably overly reliant on Lesean McCoy's ability to make plays as a runner and as a passer. He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes. 

The same people that want Allen in NOW and dont even consider Peterman are the same people who will you Peterman threw 5 int's vs The chargers last year. In their minds, Peterman is not even in the discussion because he's already a "bust". There is more than one person on the football team however. 5 int's sounds bad, but many of them were errant timings with receivers and an o-line that was getting steamrolled on the line of scrimmage.

Allen could very well be the franchise guy. The issue is who is the better Quarterback in two weeks.

In 52 career pass attempts he has 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles.  He only completed 50% of his passes last preseason, and less than 50% in reg and post season.  

His 2nd drive of the preseason this year he threw a pick again.  His first pass of the 2nd game tonight was a dropped pick six.

The TD pass tonight to O’Leary was slow and behind him so bad that despite being wide open by 10+ yards with a clear path the endzone, Nick had to slow down and wait for the ball that led to the defender getting to him requiring Nick to break a tackle to score on what should have been a walk in TD on broken coverage.

So no, it’s not just people saying one game, it’s his body of work past and present.  Every time he throws an out pattern it’s a risk to get picked.  He played one drive with KB and now all of a sudden he has a “connection”?  Talk about over exaggerating one drive in the first preseason game.  

I dont know what NP has done to warrant this mythological elevation of him, but it’s like he has hypnotized people.  And people are not enamored with Allen because he can throw it deep, it’s his ability to get passes into places others can’t, his ability to move and avoid the pressure in the pocket, how poised he is, etc.  NP has performed terribly under pressure so far, and one or two drives don’t change the body of work.

Most importantly, NP just doesn’t have the ability to make all the throws while Allen can not only make all the throws, but he can also make some that most other people can’t make.

Sorry I just have yet see NP play a game where I go this guy can be a consistent starter in this league.  I hope he proves me wrong, but right now I can’t make a case for him over Allen.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Peterman can't throw a 60 yard bomb, but Allen can't complete 85% of his passes either. I'll take the guy that keeps us on the field until Allen is clearly better. They shouldn't give him the job until he consistently outperforms the guy in front of him. Once that happens, I'm team Allen. 

2 hours ago, DollaBills said:

He blows.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

He blows.

Wow!  What an intelligent and well-spoken rebuttal!  There always has to be at least one DA who thinks he's so funny and just has to post some BS one-word response like this so everyone else can see just how cool he is.  Congratulations on being that idiot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

The reason why Peterman should be the backup is he has the tools of a backup

QB.  That 7 yard out that he constantly floats for the defenders to jumpmin front of is a great example of why he is not a starter in this league.  

Compare that to how Allen makes that throw. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DollaBills said:

He might not have a cannon, but there is more to winning football games than just deep WR routes.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I know it's very early with just two preseason games down and Allen going against 2nd and 3rd string defenses, but I think he's shown pretty clearly that there is much more to his game that just the deep routes he's famous for.  Even last night he was very good at the short and intermediate routes all across the field.  I've been pleasantly surprised by this development myself. 

I do see the point of the OP, however.  The media and so many others are ridiculously fixated on that debacle of a first half against the Chargers.  At least 2 of those 5 picks were because the receiver couldn't catch the damn ball thrown right at his hands.  Take away those 2 and it's not the same situation.  And the pick in the Carolina game last week was a bad deflection as well. 

I am, like others, very concerned about Peterman's lack of arm strength though.  It's becoming more obvious each week.  He seems very smart football-wise, but lack of arm strength is a pretty big deal at this level. 

2 hours ago, ericcomposer72 said:

Honest question:

If Peterman starts against the Ravens and throws 3+ INT in the first half, does McD then have to send Allen out for the 2nd half, basically anointing him "starter" going forward?

Would the coaching staff then look even dumber than when they benched Tyrod?

I know it's a hypothetical, but I don't think it's a crazy scenario to ponder.

This might actually be the real concern we should all have.  Unless they swing a trade for, say, Bridgewater, we're going into this season with Peterman and Allen as 1 and 2 and this scenario, or Peterman getting injured, is not that unlikely I think (or maybe I'm paranoid). 

16 minutes ago, Mr Beavers said:

Wow!  What an intelligent and well-spoken rebuttal!  There always has to be at least one DA who thinks he's so funny and just has to post some BS one-word response like this so everyone else can see just how cool he is.  Congratulations on being that idiot.

...says a guy named “Mr. Beavers.”

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, nucci said:

that's a little childish though, isn't it? 

It's a JOKE, bro.  It's silly.  And some guys out there will get it and laugh a little. And I'm a little childish myself, I'll admit it.  Big deal.  You only live once.  Might as well enjoy the **** out of it.