The local & national "just start him already" narrative is officially here

Peterman looked good as well.  I still think it's Peterman's job to lose, but looking at the bigger picture....the fact that Allen is playing well is great for this organization moving forward.  I'm cautiously optimistic at this point as it's only been two games, but I was really afraid he would suck.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

And you are just waking up to the fact the national media is garbage? Why do you think most Americans go to late night comedians and youtube for news?

The national media is far and away trash. No journalistic integrity. Most are run by multi-national corporations.

Do you expect national media guys to be experts on all 32 teams when it's inarguable that the most devoted fans in this site who live and die Bills football 24-7 have wildly disparate views on virtually everything about the team, especially the QB? 

I think what it boils down to is that most sports broadcasters and journalists are lazy and just go with the conventional wisdom and don't want to put in the time and effort to see if the conventional wisdom about Allen is correct or not.  They listen to the same pundits we do and heard all of the flaws in Allen's game just like we did.  On this board many of us spent some time and went back and watched film of Allen playing in Wyoming and at the Senior Bowl and throwing at the combine and at his pro day.  We followed Allen's performance in the training camp practices open to the public.  We wanted to have an informed opinion about Allen, but having an informed opinion takes a little bit of effort.  Do you think they did all that to prepare for this game?  Of course not

The word out of the draft was that Allen has a rocket of an arm but was inaccurate.  He was probably going to be a huge bust.  With that framework in place they see everything through those lenses. Get used to it because until the evidence becomes overwhelming and shows that narrative is incorrect, that's what we are going to continue to hear week after week.

Their inaccurate reporting and skewed perspective against Allen isn't malicious, it's just lazy reporting.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes the media...

They know best.

Nope. They don't always... for sure.

That doesn't mean they're wrong.

And it is, notably, such an overwhelming response, though... with some pretty well respected "film guys" (Miller & Prisco) thrown in there, as well.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Peterman looked good as well.  I still think it's Peterman's job to lose, but looking at the bigger picture....the fact that Allen is playing well is great for this organization moving forward.  I'm cautiously optimistic at this point as it's only been two games, but I was really afraid he would suck.

With his very first throw tonight Peterman convinced me he's either out of the starting job already or will be yanked absolutely no later than mid-season.

Dude's clearly not an NFL starting QB.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

20 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

And you are just waking up to the fact the national media is garbage? Why do you think most Americans go to late night comedians and youtube for news?

The national media is far and away trash. No journalistic integrity. Most are run by multi-national corporations.

People turn away from the news because they don't like the story they tell, so they turn to places like this so that they can bask in an echo chamber. Just because people disgaree with doesn't mean they lack integrity.

It's also funny to me that you seem to be implying that the bleacher report is "national media". You can write a Josh Allen article on there if you feel you have more "journalistic integrity".

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

With his very first throw tonight Peterman convinced me he's either out of the starting job already or will be yanked absolutely no later than mid-season.

Dude's clearly not an NFL starting QB.

Probably the latter.  The one silver lining with McCarrons injury is we'll see a lot of both the last two preseason games.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Do we like the media now or are they all still idiots? It’s hard keeping track around here.

It's actually very easy.

If they say something praising the Bills, or with positive implications for the Bills, they know what they are doing.

If they say something negative or insult the Bills, they are total idiots.

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It's actually very easy.

If they say something praising the Bills, or with positive implications for the Bills, they know what they are doing.

If they say something negative or insult the Bills, they are total idiots.

Eh, they're just saying what most Bills fans watching the team closely since OTAs have been thinking... they're just a little late to the party...

along with a select handful of Bills fans :flirt:

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

People turn away from the news because they don't like the story they tell, so they turn to places like this so that they can bask in an echo chamber. Just because people disgaree with doesn't mean they lack integrity.

It's also funny to me that you seem to be implying that the bleacher report is "national media". You can write a Josh Allen article on there if you feel you have more "journalistic integrity".

I'm well aware of echo chambers, but when the majority of major media companies fall under the corporate umbrella of GE, Raytheon, Electro Boat, Harris and others I begin to  question their integrity and motives. You should too. I then seek as many news media outlets as possible, both international and new media. I find it funny people are now defending multinational corporations and their near monopoly on the US media. It seems anathema to me.

I have an MBA from a well respected small New York State private college that specializes in engineering and business. When your career fair looks like a meeting of 'Lord of War' corporations who make money off of the death of others, you start to question things. When you realize these are the same companies who own 'main stream media' you begin to really question things and motives. Our debate probably belongs in PPP. I didn't start this debate along these lines here, you did.

Going back to sports, the national sports media (ESPN, NFL.com etc) is owned by the same companies. Believe it or not. Since this has to spelled out to BullBuhannon et al. it has already been painted that Josh Allen and the Bills as a losers for picking him.

What I tried to note is that the national sports media is not bullet proof. They make mistakes. They may even have an agenda, like pushing small market teams out of the NFL. No you say? What about Oakland, Saint Louis and even San Diego? Do you think Buffalo, NY is bullet proof? Maybe they don't report things truthfully. We all know what we have seen with Josh Allen in games one and two. He is a very promising rookie.

Some outlets have said so, some have not, I questioned their integrity then and now. They tend to spin the negative (not that that ever happens).

I think Josh Allen looks as rookie ready as any Bills QB I've ever seen. I await the media onslaught.

I know what I I see. Do you?

I don't care about the 'media'.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of Bills fans pegged the Bills as losers for picking Allen too. It's not some global conspiracy to get the Bills to move to Toronto. I'm pretty sure ESPN and The Bleacher report don't give two !@#$s that the NFL has the audacity to have teams in the rust belt. I'm well aware of media bias, and I'm also well aware of the "everything is fake news - no collusion" crowd. Just because something is printed or said doesn't mean it has to have an agenda beyond the facts.

There are plenty of indisputable facts for why some people think he's a bad prospect including win/loss, accuracy, and very weak competition. If the kid earns respect they'll give it to him.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think what it boils down to is that most sports broadcasters and journalists are lazy and just go with the conventional wisdom and don't want to put in the time and effort to see if the conventional wisdom about Allen is correct or not.  They listen to the same pundits we do and heard all of the flaws in Allen's game just like we did.  On this board many of us spent some time and went back and watched film of Allen playing in Wyoming and at the Senior Bowl and throwing at the combine and at his pro day.  We followed Allen's performance in the training camp practices open to the public.  We wanted to have an informed opinion about Allen, but having an informed opinion takes a little bit of effort.  Do you think they did all that to prepare for this game?  Of course not

The word out of the draft was that Allen has a rocket of an arm but was inaccurate.  He was probably going to be a huge bust.  With that framework in place they see everything through those lenses. Get used to it because until the evidence becomes overwhelming and shows that narrative is incorrect, that's what we are going to continue to hear week after week.

Their inaccurate reporting and skewed perspective against Allen isn't malicious, it's just lazy reporting.

This is why I stopped watching ESPN. They are a crew of lazy announcers and reporters.  NFLN is a little better, and NFLR usually has decent analysts.

I take all of this stuff with a grain of salt as I trust my eyes more than what an announcer is telling me, and really don’t care if Mayfield is the darling and Allen is maligned.  Who cares?  We win and that’s all that matters.  Easiest way to shut people up.  Announcers still don’t want to give the Bills credit for making the playoffs, and slid into a slot, vs. they played well enough to be there.  Easiest way to shut them up is we do it again.

• Like (+1) 3

The angry obsession in this country with rooting out supposed media bias is, frankly, insufferable.  And most of the campaign is led by semi-illiterates.

If Josh Allen can play football, the positive accolades will come.  We will know soon enough but there are positive signs.  In the meantime, stop with the media witch hunt.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The angry obsession in this country with rooting out supposed media bias is, frankly, insufferable.  And most of the campaign is led by semi-illiterates.

If Josh Allen can play football, the positive accolades will come.  We will know soon enough but there are positive signs.  In the meantime, stop with the media witch hunt.

VvQDHy1OhZytFKXx2tbic_HmHD-H3A4NrYJS2znd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If Josh Allen can play football, the positive accolades will come.  We will know soon enough but there are positive signs.  In the meantime, stop with the media witch hunt.

Willfull Ignorance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nope. They don't always... for sure.

That doesn't mean they're wrong.

The collective media has been extremely critical about Allen in the lead up to the draft and the months afterwards...

They are either wrong then or wrong now when they are praising him after two preseason outings..

Either way I take their comments with a grain of salt..

Should Allen become exceptional, the pundits will CYA and write “as I stated in my Award Winning Draft review, he must learn better footwork, be more patient with his reads and work tirelessly on his accuracy. Obviously, he heeded my advice.”..........

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1