The local & national "just start him already" narrative is officially here

I would like to see Josh Allen start the next preseason game. I think he has proven himself enough to keep raising his level of involvement. I just would like to see it with the starting squad before I am fully on board starting him this season.

Can I get one more solid performance with the starters before I think it's sealed? 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Based on Lorenzo's public backing, I think it's nearly a done deal. And McD REALLY respects Lorenzo.

I agree with this.  And didn’t McDermott already inform the players on his plan?  I don’t know if that meant the week 2 of preseason plan, or if it was the rest of preseason and regular season plan.  If he has stated to the team that Allen is moving up the depth chart, it would make sense for players to start publicly making comments about trust in him and his ability.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Great question! But if you look at the ratings it appears the nation started turning off CNN a long time ago.

Got it, so based on that logic you are claiming that the Backstreet Boys made better music than the Jackson 5. Wow, that's quite a claim sir, you certainly either have poor taste in music, or your logic has a flaw.

https://www.top10hq.com/top-10-successful-boy-bands-time/

Edited by HardyBoy

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The angry obsession in this country with rooting out supposed media bias is, frankly, insufferable.  And most of the campaign is led by semi-illiterates.

If Josh Allen can play football, the positive accolades will come.  We will know soon enough but there are positive signs.  In the meantime, stop with the media witch hunt.

So you believe the national media, and the corporations that run them shouldn't be questioned? It's only semi-literates that question the media or corporate goals? I guess it's easier to denigrate people that don't agree with you instead of arguing the point.

I'd argue the opposite. Only rubes and sheep follow the national media and their corporate owners without question.

Go look up who owns these media darlings.

The coverage of the football kneeling protests aren't about patriotism or social justice. I would argue that it is another attack on anything traditionally American or masculine in the country that can stand up and fight for itself. People on both sides have bought in 'hook, line and sinker'. It is a basic divide and conquer strategy.

The national sports media has already painted Josh Allen as a loser. I know what I see when I watch him. He is no loser, and the Bills took a good risk with him.

To the OP's post, I don't care what the 'national media' thinks about Josh Allen. They tried a smear campaign on him before his career even stated. Don't you remember the Twitter racism garbage that has all been debunked? The guy was a teenager quoting music and TV shows, and his tweets were taken out of context to make him look bad. What other rookie QB had this scrutiny? Maybe Baker Mayfield, in Cleveland. Cleveland and Buffalo, not sexy or growing.

How did the 'national media' treat Shady McCoy this off season? As the story evolved how did things unravel? Shady was dumb, yes, but no criminal. They tried to make him look like OJ or Ray Rice who deserved the punishment they ultimately received, maybe more.

I find it no coincidence that McCoy and Allen, two of Buffalo's highest profile players, were targeted this off season. They were painted as 'bad guys' in an era when the NFL continues to move teams to bigger and sexier markets. Cui Bono? Who benefits from stories like these? What is the big picture?

You are free to believe or care about the 'national media', that is your right. I defend your right to do so.

I don't care about the national media and how they portray the players on the Buffalo Bills, and that is my right too.

Edited by RocCityRoller

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think what it boils down to is that most sports broadcasters and journalists are lazy and just go with the conventional wisdom and don't want to put in the time and effort to see if the conventional wisdom about Allen is correct or not.  They listen to the same pundits we do and heard all of the flaws in Allen's game just like we did.  On this board many of us spent some time and went back and watched film of Allen playing in Wyoming and at the Senior Bowl and throwing at the combine and at his pro day.  We followed Allen's performance in the training camp practices open to the public.  We wanted to have an informed opinion about Allen, but having an informed opinion takes a little bit of effort.  Do you think they did all that to prepare for this game?  Of course not

The word out of the draft was that Allen has a rocket of an arm but was inaccurate.  He was probably going to be a huge bust.  With that framework in place they see everything through those lenses. Get used to it because until the evidence becomes overwhelming and shows that narrative is incorrect, that's what we are going to continue to hear week after week.

Their inaccurate reporting and skewed perspective against Allen isn't malicious, it's just lazy reporting.

You're correct about this, and there's more that seals the deal.  

First, no one remembers six months from now what these guys write.   In that sense, they aren't accountable for what they say.   If Allen is a star in December, they'll be writing that he's a star, and the coaches get a lot of credit, and the kid really came on.   They won't be writing that they were completely wrong about him.

Second, there's no mileage for the writers to go against the conventional wisdom.   In this case the conventional wisdom is twofold:  1.  the Bills suck and always will suck and 2. Allen has a big arm, is inaccurate, is raw and needs a lot development.   If you're a writer in June and you write that Allen will be an All-Pro in two years, you lose credibility with your readers, because your readers KNOW, as a matter of certainty that the Bills suck and Allen is a project.   So your readers think you've been smoking too much weed, and you lose your readers.   So, since no one remembers what you said six months ago, there's no upside in just spouting the conventional wisdom, while there's real downside (loss of readership) going against it.  

Plus, as others have said, it takes real work and guts to figure out the truth and go with it.   That's in short supply in the modern world.  

Holy crap... I didn't realize this was going to deteriorate into the realm of Infowars vs. CNN.

I'm just excited about Allen and, living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, get very very little Bills coverage out here so it bodes well for my viewing habits personally for Allen to start getting this national buzz.

But it's not just media, respected film guys, too

I am still not so sure.  I am behind Allen all the way but not sure that starting him so soon is a good idea.  Given how bad our OL played against Cleveland’s first team I am reluctant to throw him to the wolves at this time. 

If he starts the next game and does well then it will be hard to sit him.  I envisioned he would take over by week 6 unless whoever was playing had us in contention.  He needs time to learn how to prepare and learn the NFL’s weekly rhythm that a starter goes through.  I wish we had a veteran QB on the roster that could help him.  Not McCarron or Peterman.  Perhaps we can pick up a vet QB off of waivers to help the kid out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2018 at 2:19 AM, Doc Brown said:

This is why sports are so much simpler than politics.  You can let your playing on the field destroy any narrative put out there.  I'll definitely have to eat crow if Allen turns into a franchise QB, but all those expert anti Allen prognosticators have to also.

It's really the same.  In politics their is overwhelming facts to support something, that the media refuses to admit, but in both cases, people don't actually look for there self.  They pick who the like to listen to...normally who says what you want to hear, and people blindly believe.

But it's nothing new.

23 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Based on Lorenzo's public backing, I think it's nearly a done deal. And McD REALLY respects Lorenzo.

This.   As he is one of the team leaders he is most likely speaking for a majority of the locker room (specifically, the vets).  They see "it" w/Allen.  If 17 plays decent against 'Nati, he is starting week 1. But if he lays an egg, nah.  

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

This.   As he is one of the team leaders he is most likely speaking for a majority of the locker room (specifically, the vets).  They see "it" w/Allen.  If 17 plays decent against 'Nati, he is starting week 1. But if he lays an egg, nah.  

Considering lorax is the guy who talk about the tweets of Allen's youth .....  I agree 

Josh needs to show me what he can do against a first team D.  Cmon man, put him in in game 3, which fits perfectly with the process.  Can he do what Peterman can? is the big question.  If he can, then can Peterman, and start the drafted kid on opening day.  If he can't do what Peterman can, let him sit for a few games.  With our O line, and our first 3 opponents, it's gonna be hard knocks for whoever starts.  It would be more strategic to start Peterman, and if it goes bad because of the O line, then Josh can go in game 4.  BTW, this is best preseason since the Flutie and Johnson days.   Go Bills!!

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

You’re right , MSNBC is doing much better!

Independent media is the way to go now a days.  I won't ever pay for cable again.  It's incredible what information we have access to.  We're just lazy and prefer to have our opinion given to us instead of developing an acctual interest.

When it becomes obvious the play of the O as a unit is elevated with Josh Allen behind center, which appears to be the case, any argument not to play Allen goes against the betterment of the team IMO. 

So what will McD do now...

• Like (+1) 1