Star Lotulelei: Where is the Impact?

Lotulelei was brought in as an interior run defender and the interior run defense is pretty good, even with a rookie MLB. Maybe they overpaid for him but that’s a different discussion. The real problem is at DE, where they are getting gashed on runs to the perimeter and failing to generate a consisten pass rush.

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly.  The Bills seem to have overpaid by a couple of million.  It happens in FA all the time.

Watch to see how Beane will have to overpay during next years FA.

IMO Star has to play a lot more games for a real good assessment can be made of his overall worth.

It's the one down side to rebuilding through FA - no player really wants to come to a team that won't compete, especially one that looks like this. Rebuilds are best started through the draft to build a talent base for 1-2 years before bringing in real top FA talent to fill out the roster at key positions of need. Right now we have the cap space, but I'm worried we'll have to overpay to get anyone here. Hate to say it, but it looks like we made our playoff push a year too early given our cap situation next year :P 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, vincec said:

Lotulelei was brought in as an interior run defender and the interior run defense is pretty good, even with a rookie MLB. Maybe they overpaid for him but that’s a different discussion. The real problem is at DE, where they are getting gashed on runs to the perimeter and failing to generate a consisten pass rush.

He was also brought in to push the pocket in order to prevent opposing QBs from stepping up to avoid outside rushers. 

On 9/17/2018 at 8:10 AM, joesixpack said:

I don't understand the vitriol toward Star. He hasn't been TERRIBLE by any measure.

Hasn't even been bad, really. He's just consistently been doing his job, which has admittedly been hard to see when the Bills are getting blown out by 20+ in the first half of games.

If people were expecting a bunch of sacks from Lotulelei they were always bound to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Hasn't even been bad, really. He's just consistently been doing his job, which has admittedly been hard to see when the Bills are getting blown out by 20+ in the first half of games.

If people were expecting a bunch of sacks from Lotulelei they were always bound to be disappointed. 

That's more of a them problem than a star problem?

• Haha (+1) 1

Its amazing to me all these people talking about MArcel and we should've kept him. Dude was a fat bum who didn't want to play. Everyone's memory is so short. We all had the pitchforks ready when he was here and were happy when we traded him. I for one was ecstatic he was traded. Was sick of seeing him getting into trouble and taking off games. He wasn't doing jack the year he was traded and isn't doing jack now. We cleared a lot of cap space by trading him and helped the locker room. Our biggest problem was how we replaced him. Signing Star to that contract was a complete flop on Beanes part and unfortunately will be for the next 3 years until it becomes cost effective to cut him. Beans moves as GM have been bad at best. Im not ready to lynch him yet but im getting close. I see what hes trying to do but hes not getting much talent to do it with.