Star Lotulelei: Where is the Impact?

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Looking at Star, to me he's doing his job.  He's taking on two blockers and holding the point.  The problem is the linebackers are not filling lanes.  They are LOST.  Notice most of the big runs are where Edmunds or Milano should be and not where LORAX should be.  I'm thinking they are going to have to have Edmunds and Milano on the move to shore up the run issues or misdirection and cutbacks are going to kill this team.

Bothe Star (via double team blocking) and Kyle were being handled on the Browns' 1st drive that led to a TD. 

7 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Yeah, I'm afraid we saw the real 2018 Bills tonight.

We're definitely rebuilding the Oline and the DLine., and LB's............. again.

We're thin.......at several key positions............

This is a possibility BUT...

I also wondered if the "starters" weren't sort of "phoning" it in - playing not to get hurt.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Looking at Star, to me he's doing his job.  He's taking on two blockers and holding the point.  The problem is the linebackers are not filling lanes.  They are LOST.  Notice most of the big runs are where Edmunds or Milano should be and not where LORAX should be.  I'm thinking they are going to have to have Edmunds and Milano on the move to shore up the run issues or misdirection and cutbacks are going to kill this team.

If Milano loses his job this week we know who blew those assignments. The Bills really need a Weakside backer badly.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Lotulelei? Really?

How about Tremaine Edmunds just running into the defensive linemens' back every play?!

Edmunds is a rookie who turned 20 after the draft and was known to be very raw coming in, so while I'm not happy with his play so far, I'm also not as concerned as I am with Star, a guy with a few years under his belt, who's had one good season, and since has regressed ever season thereafter, which is not a good sign, since he was one of the absolute worst D lineman in the NFL last year when looking at advanced metrics.

I'm much more worried about the $50+ million we gave Star with the hopes that his one good season was the truth and not a fluke.

(I do agree with your that I had hoped Edmunds would be further along as of now though)

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I want to be, Mark. But on the opening TD drive vs starters, he was completely lost, running the wrong way of the play, stumbling & fumbling from moving forward 1st at the snap, rather than read, and miss tackles. He improved a bit as the half went on and Cleveland played 0-16 worthy scrubs. He FINALLY recorded a tackle.

I’m concerned he hasn’t earned his ‘Starter Since Draft Night’ position on the team.

Who can we get, like today???

I havent seen much out of Star in 2 games, Kyle looks and plays a lot slower, Star was getting pushed around(not doubled either) Jerry abd Lawson were both invisible.

Our o line is gonna get a few guys killed. Our Gm and coach gotta see this, but they go after over rated injury prone guys as solutions.

2 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

I concur. Edmunds just need to be more instinctive than reactive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It may be different in the regular season, but thus far I see no impact in a positive sense. 

Stealing money basically and living off of one good season under McD in Carolina. 

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Run D is hard to evaluate in preseason. Run defense is as much mental as physical. What I saw was poor run fits by LBs and DBs. That stuff will get cleaned up.

Star takes the double but this is obviously a mental breakdown by LBs. My guess is Milano filled the wrong hole.

Actually, I may have jumped the gun on Edmunds.  Pause this at 15 seconds.  There are a few ways we can read this in terms of run fit.  I'm not sure how it was/is coached but to me, everyone does exactly what they are supposed to do except Miliano.  If you stop it at 15 seconds, Star places his body in the Left A gap to clog the lane.  Kyle plays the outside shade on the right side, 3 tech and he stands his ground there.  Miliano should have filled the A gap on the right side. Edmunds played the C to the backside contain.  That's the way I read this initially.

Another way to read it:  Star and Kyle got completely turned and it opened up the run lane.

Which one is it?  We'll see this week.  If Miliano starts fading out then we know what it was.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the run game issues last night were more of an LB problem than a DL problem. Edmunds and Milano were missing gaps the whole 1st quarter. I do have faith that we will put it together though.

We may miss PB short term against the run. The guy could not cover to save his life but was was a damn good run defender. 

3 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I think the run game issues last night were more of an LB problem than a DL problem. Edmunds and Milano were missing gaps the whole 1st quarter. I do have faith that we will put it together though.

We may miss PB short term against the run. The guy could not cover to save his life but was was a damn good run defender. 

I'm going to go back and look at Edmunds again.  This might not be an Edmunds issue except reaction time.  I think he understands his gap assignments.  This might be a weakside backer issue not sure.

Edited by NewEraBills

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Star and Trent Murphy were the tw big free agent defensive ‘splashed’. I know it’s only preseason but so far it’s been a belly flop.

...Murphy is the bigger concern...bet McCarron is back before him................

The impact will be seen in the regular season. Do you guys remember when we signed Alan Branch (2013 with Marrone)? He was putrid in pre-season games, I thought bakc then that he was a waste of roster spot, then came the season and turned the switch on. He was a very important player in the DL rotation, very stout against the run. 

13 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

The impact will be seen in the regular season. Do you guys remember when we signed Alan Branch (2013 with Marrone)? He was putrid in pre-season games, I thought bakc then that he was a waste of roster spot, then came the season and turned the switch on. He was a very important player in the DL rotation, very stout against the run. 

...and now has been performing well for Belichick.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Star was getting blocked 1v1 and he wasn’t winning and couldn’t block shed. Even if he did shed a block he looked completely incapable of moving laterally. He’s so stiff and slow it was shocking to see. 

Its sad to have to hope a guy wasn’t putting in max effort but that’s honestly what I’m hoping for at this point. Bc if that’s his max effort he doesn’t even belong in this league.  

Edited by SoCoBills

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Lotulelei? Really?

How about Tremaine Edmunds just running into the defensive linemens' back every play?!

It really seemed like the things were happening over in Kyle's gap. Star did miss 1 tackle sack. I really wanted to see the star and Phillips pairing last night. 

8 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Look, we have to give Edmunds time. He's just 20 years old. He's going to be a stud. You can see how fast he is but he need to get stronger. I can remember how awful Talley was as a rookie. They are throwing a lot at the kid. Stand back and see the kid become an all pro in a couple of years.

They can’t, it’s the era of instant gratification, absurd knee jerk reaction and participation trophies.

Ive never seen a bunch of so called fans with so little knowledge of football in my life. As though a kid playing in his first PRE SEASON games (yes Preseason) in a leadership role, is supposed be an immediate ALl PRO.

Jesus.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I saw that too, however Edmunds made a couple of good tackles tonight. He definitely played better. I'm not worried about him.

He got better as the night went on. He got completely lost on hydes big gain over the right side. I don't know why he played the left. At 6'5 he has to be able to read the plays better. 

8 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

Star was getting blocked 1v1 and he wasn’t winning and couldn’t block shed. Even if he did shed a block he looked completely incapable of moving laterally. He’s so stiff and slow it was shocking to see. 

Its sad to have to hope a guy wasn’t putting in max effort but that’s honestly what I’m hoping for at this point. Bc if that’s his max effort he doesn’t even belong in this league.  

Not completely true at all.  For instance, pause the following video at 15 seconds

He got combo blocked.  Now we can read this as either he got moved off the point by the combo block, OR we can read it as he actually did what he was supposed to do by moving his body in the left A gap to cut off that lane and the weak side linebacker didn't fill the Right A gap, which is where the football was ran.  We'll see in the upcoming week.  If Miliano's snaps decrease then we can begin to form a picture of what's going on.

5 minutes ago, dlonce said:

They can’t, it’s the era of instant gratification, absurd knee jerk reaction and participation trophies.

Ive never seen a bunch of so called fans with so little knowledge of football in my life. As though a kid playing in his first PRE SEASON games (yes Preseason) in a leadership role, is supposed be an immediate ALl PRO.

Jesus.

......so you finally realized you're surrounded at TBD by the "One And Done Gang"?...........Edmunds sucks......Allen meh....fire McD....fire McBeane........Peterman shoulda been gone LAST year.......and it only gets BETTER......:thumbsup: