Please name Josh Allen the starter

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...manhandled by the Bengals AND Browns....we're on the wrong side  of uh..oh....

If our Oline was even half as good as our Dline it'd be a whole different game, but for reasons unknown some people's kids still want to draft the shiny new object ahead of good offensive linemen..  

As much as I don't think AJ is your answer I do think sitting Allen until your oline can gel is a better option. I don't wish AJ any ill will, but he has been around the league awhile and can probably be a decent place holder while Allen matures and readies himself for big time defenses..   

19 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

you can delete this thread now

delusional fans. 

I think I was most delusional in thinking our OL would be all right.

I haven't totally dismissed the idea of them working out the kinks for the regular season, but right now I would be absolutely fine if McCarron or Peterman are named the starter and it's all on how bad our OL is.

Allen appears to be physically, mentally and emotionally tough enough to start week 1 and today's lack of success clearly was on the OL and WRs dropping balls much more than him, but this is a good excuse McDermott can use to put Allen in bubble wrap to start the season while McCarron or Peterman either get beat the hell up or rise to the occasion.

Josh Allen is the 3rd best QB on this roster right now.

He needs to hold a clip board and learn the position this season.

Peterman should start, and McCarron should be his backup. If another starter, or a backup get injured early in the season, I'd try to trade McCarron and promote Allen to primary backup at the end of September/early October. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think I was most delusional in thinking our OL would be all right.

I haven't totally dismissed the idea of them working out the kinks for the regular season, but right now I would be absolutely fine if McCarron or Peterman are named the starter and it's all on how bad our OL is.

Allen appears to be physically, mentally and emotionally tough enough to start week 1 and today's lack of success clearly was on the OL and WRs dropping balls much more than him, but this is a good excuse McDermott can use to put Allen in bubble wrap to start the season while McCarron or Peterman either get beat the hell up or rise to the occasion.

My take too. I still hope he's the starter but that game gave McD the munition to say otherwise to his players if that's his plan, which we just don't know. I just don't see how can AJ outbid Peterman since Nate supposedly outperformed him all camp long.

Man... just bc you figured out how to use your smart phone doesnt mean it helps you post smarter things...

Ha ha. Spot on as well

Edited by Jerome007

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Explain. 

Peterman is our best QB. He's shown he's in command of the offense, is accurate, and he gets the ball out on time. His arm is obviously lacking, but he does a good job attacking the middle of the field and we can game plan to attack that area off play action once Shady is on the field. It's when he throws to the boundary that he can get into trouble. 

I think McCarron is probably a step behind him. We haven't seen much of him but he's proven to be a somewhat capable NFL backup in the past. 

Allen is the 3rd guy IMO. His inexperience showed badly today. He held the ball too long, took unnecessary sacks when he could have got rid of the ball and ultimately looked very overwhelmed.

Josh Allen was a massive project when we picked him. People might not want to hear it, but this is a guy who was a 2-3 year project who needed to learn how to lead an offense and consistently move the chains. He hasn't done that so far. His 4.7 YPA for the preseason is pathetic and today showed that his awareness still isn't where it needs to be. He held the ball too long and took sacks when he could have dumped the ball incomplete. 

Stash him on the bench for as long as possible. He needs to work on a lot of things before he's ready to play meaningful regular season games yet. 

Edited by jrober38

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Josh Allen is the 3rd best QB on this roster right now.

He needs to hold a clip board and learn the position this season.

Peterman should start, and McCarron should be his backup. If another starter, or a backup get injured early in the season, I'd try to trade McCarron and promote Allen to primary backup at the end of September/early October. 

Said it before, I’ll say it again: stick to European football.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Please stop with this because this is ridiculous. How in the hell was he supposed to do anything getting sacked as soon as he hit the back of his drop?

This simply isn't true.

He patted the ball on at least 3 of his sacks when he could have thrown it at a receiver's feet incomplete.

Allen did nothing to anticipate pressure. He didn't look for his hot reads and stayed locked onto his 1st read despite the Bengals bringing some pressure. By sticking to his reads, the ball didn't come out on time and he wound up taking sacks when he could have thrown it incomplete. Those sacks kill drives and he's got to do a much better job getting rid of the ball when he has time to, even if it means throwing an incomplete pass. He's got to feel that pressure coming when it's right in his face. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This simply isn't true.

He patted the ball on at least 3 of his sacks when he could have thrown it at a receiver's feet incomplete.

Allen did nothing to anticipate pressure. He didn't look for his hot reads and stayed locked onto his 1st read despite the Bengals bringing some pressure. By sticking to his reads, the ball didn't come out on time and he wound up taking sacks when he could have thrown it incomplete. Those sacks kill drives and he's got to do a much better job getting rid of the ball when he has time to, even if it means throwing an incomplete pass. He's got to feel that pressure coming when it's right in his face. 

I seriously think that he would have gotten intentional grounding on a few of those. He did throw it away a couple times which was good to see. But he had nowhere to step up, could barely roll out, and when he did get a pass off, Clay or KB would stonehands it. 

Geez, people are so caught up in the moment. I'm glad fans don't call the shots. 

It was OBVIOUS going into the season, and even more obvious during the preseason that our O-line is bad and would get Allen killed, but even though fans always excuse poor play in preseason by saying "PRESEASON DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING!" everyone was so quick to anoint Allen the starter for week 1 because of preseason play against backups.

Now people seem to be realizing, oh....maybe we do have a problem. That's nice. I'm glad you guys can finally form non-biased opinions when you're smacked in the face with a bit of reality. For someone who was considered a long term project, and the most raw of the big 4 first round QB's, the last thing we should want is to trot him & get him killed week after week this season. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Geez, people are so caught up in the moment. I'm glad fans don't call the shots. 

It was OBVIOUS going into the season, and even more obvious during the preseason that our O-line is bad and would get Allen killed, but even though fans always excuse poor play in preseason by saying "PRESEASON DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING!" everyone was so quick to anoint Allen the starter for week 1 because of preseason play against backups.

Now people seem to be realizing, oh....maybe we do have a problem. That's nice. I'm glad you guys can finally form non-biased opinions when you're smacked in the face with a bit of reality. For someone who was considered a long term project, and the most raw of the big 4 first round QB's, the last thing we should want is to trot him & get him killed week after week this season. 

The OL is bad, but some of the sacks were self inflicted. 

Allen just holds the ball too long. He got away with it in college against lesser competition, and it's usually a hard habit for athletic QBs to correct. He can't run away from NFL calibre defensive linemen like he did against Mountain West opponents, and he needs to do a better job consistently stepping up into the pocket to buy time or getting the ball out to a hot read faster once he learns to anticipate pressure. 

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This simply isn't true.

A young rookie from a small school who was a project/still is ( IMO )  behind a horrid OL , 

I’m sorry he didn’t exceed your expectations! 

I wouldn’t start him week 1 or any week for that matter UNTIL this JOKE of an OL  gets fixed ( replaced ) , 

but hey let’s put ALL the blame on Allen ?!

1 minute ago, Putin said:

A young rookie from a small school who was a project/still is ( IMO )  behind a horrid OL , 

I’m sorry he didn’t exceed your expectations! 

I wouldn’t start him week 1 or any week for that matter UNTIL this JOKE of an OL  gets fixed ( replaced ) , 

but hey let’s put ALL the blame on Allen ?!

I don't get the purpose of lowering the bar for a player. 

If this were Tyrod of Ryan Fitzpatrick, fans would be calling for his head on a spit. 

Allen played really poorly today. I don't understand the purpose of making excuses for the guy.