Please name Josh Allen the starter

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What better way to spend a "rebuilding year" than giving your franchise QB much needed game experience? Why would you waste, what essentially becomes house money in terms of wins and losses, on Peterman when Allen needs game day reps?

I would agree if not for the serious risk this line may present.  Our starting qb broke his collar bone behind it not 20 hours ago and you guys want JA to get in there?  Maybe the line will get better with more games under their belt but let the first weeks not be JA who is the crash test dummy used to find out.

Just now, sleeby said:

I would agree if not for the serious risk this line may present.  Our starting qb broke his collar bone behind it not 20 hours ago and you guys want JA to get in there?  Maybe the line will get better with more games under their belt but let the first weeks not be JA who is the crash test dummy used to find out.

If you play football scared, you get hurt. Injuries come with the sport, you can't "protect" Josh from them. He's a big, durable kid who needs game reps. If you delay getting him that experience until the team is "perfect", you are then going to have to waste one or two seasons getting him the veteran experience needed to lead a "perfect" roster to a title. 

You can walk and chew gum at the same time. Josh will be fine behind this line, he's better equipped to avoid injury behind a bad line than either of the other two QBs on the roster due to his size and mobility. 

Start the kid. There's no reason not to. He's the best QB on the roster by far, and he's the most likely to survive behind a bad O-Line.

(imo of course)

2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

We shouldn’t play Allen or Shady this year. Not behind that o-line. We have to cryogenically freeze them both and preserve their bodies until we have an o-line that you approve of.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

If you play football scared, you get hurt. Injuries come with the sport, you can't "protect" Josh from them. He's a big, durable kid who needs game reps. If you delay getting him that experience until the team is "perfect", you are then going to have to waste one or two seasons getting him the veteran experience needed to lead a "perfect" roster to a title. 

You can walk and chew gum at the same time. Josh will be fine behind this line, he's better equipped to avoid injury behind a bad line than either of the other two QBs on the roster due to his size and mobility. 

Start the kid. There's no reason not to. He's the best QB on the roster by far, and he's the most likely to survive behind a bad O-Line.

He's also country strong. He did break his collarbone as a sophomore I think but he stupidly barreled into a LB when he didn't have to. He's shown an innate ability to sense where guys are, and to slide and run OB already. The guy that would likely get hurt behind this OL is NP. AJ already has. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Nah.  No way.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you are a lousy card and or chess player.  Playing the best first over and over blindly is not the way to win the long game.

The oline may be criminally dangerous - let Peterman run recon in the first weeks and see just how dangerous it is.  The bills are not contenders in 2018 either way.

Peterman looks like he is running from a swarm of bees at all times. His arm isn’t good.

he should never throw an out pattern, not ever. Almost pick 6 every sinlgle time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

He's also country strong. He did break his collarbone as a sophomore I think but he stupidly barreled into a LB when he didn't have to. He's shown an innate ability to sense where guys are, and to slide and run OB already. The guy that would likely get hurt behind this OL is NP. AJ already has. 

Completely agree. I understand people worry about injuring the shiny new toy before he's all the way out of the box, but in today's NFL there's no time to wait. Team's windows are smaller than ever before, Allen's need for game day experience (to me) trumps the concerns about him getting dinged up behind a so-so to poor O Line. 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We shouldn’t play Allen or Shady this year. Not behind that o-line. We have to cryogenically freeze them both and preserve their bodies until we have an o-line that you approve of.

That's a good idea. I could be wrong but I think the NFL increased the CFL to up to four players last season. 

I will say that a part of me selfishly wants JA to start as he was fun to watch.  But if he gets seriouly injured due to a mia online the bills will be to blame for the three years lost time it would likely take to get back to the feeling we went to bed with last night; amd i suspect many.of those now calling for JA in week1 will grow memory loss and blame the coaching for that.

21 minutes ago, sleeby said:

JA was amazingly fun to watch.  Woot!  But Peterman should start the reg season.  Many of you do not seem to understand or remember that this is a rebuilding year.   Last year should have been but everyone wanted a dumb playoff game which really screwed us in the draft and caused is to need to trade away picks we needed for an oline so as to get a QB.  

We seem to have struck gold on the QB but we also know we have a horrible oline.  Why gamble the rookie and maybe future franchise QB we have been waiting more than 20 years for on this season?  We cannot win this season with all the holes we have.  Run defense and oline being big ones it seems.

Start Peterman and spare the kid in the first few games at least.  Peterman will likely have a few really bad days thus allowiing JA to get some game time; he may even get injured as AJ did what with this line.  2018 bills season is not about W-L but about the future.  Losing 12 games is fine - ruining or breaking our new hope QB just to make 8 wins and not 4 is dumb.

Man, JA really looked the part; and then some.  Pre season Game 3 has me more anticipated to see than just about any reg season bills game in recent memory.

I tend to agree, but then you play your best players...

IF, and it's a big IF, the Bills only win 4, well, play Allen so he learns for real, without undue pressure. And draft high!

I say that but of course the goal is to win. It's just that it seems this season is a no lose proposition if Allen plays a lot (not necessarily from week one). Either the team wins NOW which is more fun and the goal, or they draft high next year and Allen has learned a lot.

He was able to see 2 minute drill, goal line action, etc. And he handled it well. Hell the 2 minute drill - and audible and hard counts - was better than what experienced TT did in his 3 years here! So he convinced me that while he'll sure have growing pains and make dumb rookie mistakes, he's not just a big arm. He has enough wits for the position and to learn on the job!

8 hours ago, nucci said:

wondering why....what does Peterman have over Allen?    and you're right...he does look like the starter

At this point, just a little advantage in the mental aspect of the game.

Starting Peterman is more about Allen (and they should have traded McCarron by this time). There's no rush to start Allen. Let Peterman fall on his sword through the first half of games (toughest part of our schedule). Then Allen takes over. There's no questioning of it by the media or fans (or teammates). It's a natural progression of QBs.

If a QB can be "ruined" by a below average offensive line or playing through growing pains, that QB lacks the killer instinct to play the most demanding position in sports. 

David Carr was never going to be a good quarterback. His line sucked, but he also lacked presence and had an incredibly slow release. He seems very comfortable on TV. I think of excuses when I think of David Carr, not a guy who was forever ruined by circumstance.

JA gives the Bills the best chance to win right now. Period. If he can play, he's going to show you he can play. 

You wanna sit around and wait for the perfect time to start him? When we have all pros at every position? Reminds me of Costanza pushing off his wedding date. Spring. Rejuvenation. Everything's blooming. All that crap!

Edited by LSHMEAB

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was firmly in the "don't rush Allen" camp but watching him last night, along with McCarron getting injured, has changed my mind. The kid is either better than advertised or he learns at an astonishing rate. I would be shocked it Allen doesn't start Sunday vs the Bengals, and if he plays at the same level, named the starter.

I was the poster child of "be patient with him".

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My sentiments exactly.  Let the kid start next game.  He either wins the job or McD can safely go in another direction and let Allen sit a little longer.  In fact, he can still let Allen play most of the 4th preseason game too for more snaps to keep him progressing in case NP struggles in the early weeks of the season.

+1.  Let him start next week.  He has "earned it".

3 hours ago, Billscowboy said:

I can tell you that this offense is not hard for my man JA.  He ran a simalar one with my Cowboys. Coach Bohl runs the west Coast offense and has for ever,  that’s why Carson & Josh are comfortable with it. Enjoy what’s coming.   You have a lot more fans now with Josh and Eddie in blue And white....

Thanks and welcome aboard!

57 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If a QB can be "ruined" by a below average offensive line or playing through growing pains, that QB lacks the killer instinct to play the most demanding position in sports. 

David Carr was never going to be a good quarterback. His line sucked, but he also lacked presence and had an incredibly slow release. He seems very comfortable on TV. I think of excuses when I think of David Carr, not a guy who was forever ruined by circumstance.

JA gives the Bills the best chance to win right now. Period. If he can play, he's going to show you he can play. 

You wanna sit around and wait for the perfect time to start him? When we have all pros at every position? Reminds me of Costanza pushing off his wedding date. Spring. Rejuvenation. Everything's blooming. All that crap!

I've wanted to say this for a while.  Maybe David Carr is an examole, but like you, I doubt it. And I can't think of any other examples.  If you're good enough to be good, difficult circumstances at the beginning of your pro career won't stop you. Didn't stop Peyton and didn't stop Aikman. 

If he's the best, he plays.  The coach owes it to the other players.  Otherwise the coach is saying to the other players that he doesn't care if they get hurt, but he does care about Allen.  That's a non starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JaxBills said:

The goal line TD was all I needed.  Two amazing drives with amazing TDs in two weeks.

Four scoring drives in two weeks.

4 straight scoring drives over 2 games by my count.

Competition over, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sleeby said:

I missed the memo.

3 hours ago, sleeby said:

JA was amazingly fun to watch.  Woot!  But Peterman should start the reg season.  Many of you do not seem to understand or remember that this is a rebuilding year.   Last year should have been but everyone wanted a dumb playoff game which really screwed us in the draft and caused is to need to trade away picks we needed for an oline so as to get a QB.  

We seem to have struck gold on the QB but we also know we have a horrible oline.  Why gamble the rookie and maybe future franchise QB we have been waiting more than 20 years for on this season?  We cannot win this season with all the holes we have.  Run defense and oline being big ones it seems.

Start Peterman and spare the kid in the first few games at least.  Peterman will likely have a few really bad days thus allowiing JA to get some game time; he may even get injured as AJ did what with this line.  2018 bills season is not about W-L but about the future.  Losing 12 games is fine - ruining or breaking our new hope QB just to make 8 wins and not 4 is dumb.

Man, JA really looked the part; and then some.  Pre season Game 3 has me more anticipated to see than just about any reg season bills game in recent memory.

Rebuilding year? Did you just come out of a time capsule from the 2017 offseason? Dude, we made the f*cking playoffs, drafted a franchise qb, and will probably have a top 10 d unit, WTF are you smoking??

• Like (+1) 1

Okay, so...

Josh Allen has played exactly three-quarters of one football game. In those three quarters, he has thrown two insane TD passes, should have two more (the bombs to Foster), has not turned the ball over, has showed the ability to throw short, medium and deep, left, right and down the middle, has an absolute cannon, has been accurate, completed passes on the run, rolling either way, and from the pocket, has had two two-minute drives and they scored ten points on them, has shown a great ability to avoid the rush, has scrambled/run the ball very well, shown terrific mobility and straight line speed, and strength, has known down and distance, has called audibles, showed great confidence and good command of the offense. 

In three !@#$ing quarters!

SO LET'S SIT HIM!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(imo of course)

It’s impossible to make a good case as to why he should sit. Some folks have cornered themselves with their takes on Allen and just won’t let it go. He needs to learn, he isn’t ready etc. 

All the under 60 percent completion guys have disappeared, how loud would they be yapping if Allen struggled last night. Sure, it’s only preseason but anyone watching can see what Allen has.

He is a natural. Play the kid. Trust Daboll and McD to utilize their best player and protect him with scheme design. Nathan Peterman is only a viable alternative if your other QB is Uncle Bernie. 

• Like (+1) 1