Please name Josh Allen the starter

On 11/26/2018 at 4:56 PM, Green Lightning said:

Glad to made your favorites. I stand by it. In preseason Peterman outplayed the other QBs. He just royally sucked when the games counted.

Too bad our coach was as blind as you.

Peterman showed all the same flaws in preseason that make him incapable of being an NFL QB.

He threw an average of more than a pick per game and a couple pick-sixes... but the scrub DBs couldn't hold onto the football.

Plus, vanilla defense in preseason that doesn't disguise anything makes a pre-snap read--Peterman's "strength"--pretty damn easy.

Here are some more fun walks down memory lane from another QB thread, now closed, from Summer

@jrober38 said:

If Peterman is terrible, I think Allen will be worse this year

@Thurman#1 said

And yeah, Bills fans wanted Allen. That's what most fans do. They pick the heralded new guy and want to see him immediately. They choose the short term over the long term. They take the perspective of a person wanting entertainment rather than the perspective of a guy whose job prospects depend on the long-term success of the team and the QB in particular.

And as for Allen not starting the first game, one word ...

Duh.

(and in responding to someone calling McDermott clueless for starting Peterman)

Thang is we don't know yet whether what is due is blame or credit or whether the fans were right or wrong.

We do know that McD has a ton more info on the situation than we do.

@BullBuchanan said, in reference to why Peterman would win

Forget stats. He's the only QB that doesn't look like a deer in the headlights and can move the chains. The only reason it's taking this long is because McBeane desperately wants to validate selling the farm to draft a raw prospect 7th overall. It's ego and nothing more. It hasn't been a close competition at any point since the draft. 

And

Sorry, I can't hear you over his 85% completion percentage throughout the preseason. He went 8/10 113 and a TD. Allen went 9/19 against those "scrubs" last week. so what does that say? He's outperformed Allen in both games against 1rst and 3rd string players. You're starting to look like a fool.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Here are some more fun walks down memory lane from another QB thread, now closed, from Summer

@jrober38 said:

@Thurman#1 said

And yeah, Bills fans wanted Allen. That's what most fans do. They pick the heralded new guy and want to see him immediately. They choose the short term over the long term. They take the perspective of a person wanting entertainment rather than the perspective of a guy whose job prospects depend on the long-term success of the team and the QB in particular.

Duh.

Thang is we don't know yet whether what is due is blame or credit or whether the fans were right or wrong.

Forget stats. He's the only QB that doesn't look like a deer in the headlights and can move the chains. The only reason it's taking this long is because McBeane desperately wants to validate selling the farm to draft a raw prospect 7th overall. It's ego and nothing more. It hasn't been a close competition at any point since the draft. 

And

Sorry, I can't hear you over his 85% completion percentage throughout the preseason. He went 8/10 113 and a TD. Allen went 9/19 against those "scrubs" last week. so what does that say? He's outperformed Allen in both games against 1rst and 3rd string players. You're starting to look like a fool.

That thread had some winners in retrospect

@DFT

I think Peterman and McCarron are going to both shock some folks.   It’s going to be a good problem to have.

There was also that thread that I think was pretty Peterman specific.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Too bad our coach was as blind as you.

Peterman showed all the same flaws in preseason that make him incapable of being an NFL QB.

He threw an average of more than a pick per game and a couple pick-sixes... but the scrub DBs couldn't hold onto the football.

Plus, vanilla defense in preseason that doesn't disguise anything makes a pre-snap read--Peterman's "strength"--pretty damn easy.

How lucky this board is to have such far-seeing experts like you. 

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

@jrober38 said:

@Thurman#1 said

Duh.

And

I think some of those takes are fair opinions at the time, wrong but fair. Some fans bought into the "Josh Allen 56% completion" thing and never moved past it. He still has not been super accurate, but I believe he is special. To get a real laugh you have to dig up the "we should trade up for Mason Rudolph" stuff. And the "God I hope New England doesn't trade up in front of us for Mason Rudolph." Good times.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown

I had a hot take in this thread (kinda sad it wasn't quoted in the big funny post roll :/), where i said it would go like how Watson went, but i was also hoping Allen (and i'm still sticking my FavrElway tag) wouldn't get hurt.

In my hubris of being right and righteous, i was struck down by jinxing Allen to an injury.  I'm sorry fellow Bills Faithful, I hope you can find it in your red white and blue hearts to forgive me, love the sinner hate the sin and all that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think some of those takes are fair opinions at the time, wrong but fair. Some fans bought into the "Josh Allen 56% completion" thing and never moved past it. He still has not been super accurate, but I believe he is special. To get a real laugh you have to dig up the "we should trade up for Mason Rudolph" stuff. And the "God I hope New England doesn't trade up in front of us for Mason Rudolph." Good times.  

I am a Mason Rudolph believer and there is nothing yet to say he won't be a great QB. He is sitting behind Big Ben and whenever he does start, I think he plays lights out. I'm not saying he'll be Mahomes, but I think he will put up good numbers. And again, Rudolph going to a team like the Steelers or even the Pats, will make him even better. He wasn't ready this year and it was something I also advocated for when I would have preferred to stand pat and keep all the Draft picks and select him, which was to learn for at least a year. 

That said, I'm not one to boo-hoo over things I can't change. And while I was disappointed in the initial pick of Josh Allen, once he put on that hat and gave his first interview, I was a Josh Allen supporter and certainly see good reasons for optimism for his continued development. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I am a Mason Rudolph believer and there is nothing yet to say he won't be a great QB. He is sitting behind Big Ben and whenever he does start, I think he plays lights out. I'm not saying he'll be Mahomes, but I think he will put up good numbers. And again, Rudolph going to a team like the Steelers or even the Pats, will make him even better. He wasn't ready this year and it was something I also advocated for when I would have preferred to stand pat and keep all the Draft picks and select him, which was to learn for at least a year. 

That said, I'm not one to boo-hoo over things I can't change. And while I was disappointed in the initial pick of Josh Allen, once he put on that hat and gave his first interview, I was a Josh Allen supporter and certainly see good reasons for optimism for his continued development. 

I appreciate your take. I think what drove me bananas during that time is that I felt strongly that Rudolph would go in the third round, and some fans wanted to trade into the top ten for him. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he was, and is a third round prospect who has been inactive all season. But like you said, his full book has yet to be written. . 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't want us to draft Allen but once we did I was pretty certain he would be the best QB on the roster. I knew Peterman sucked and I had minimal confidence in McCarron's ability to be an NFL starter.

Yep.

That was the problem.

It wasn't hard to get better than Peterman or McCarron.  Most reasonable people could see that, except the most important one, our Head Coach.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:18 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

@jrober38 said:

@Thurman#1 said

Duh.

And

Is thisa reminder of how you were wrong? I'm not seeing any other reason for this necro.

26 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Is thisa reminder of how you were wrong? I'm not seeing any other reason for this necro.

I was wrong in terms of the outcome, but dead right in terms of logic and in terms of what the outcome clearly should have been if our Head Coach weren't so terrible at evaluating QBs... at least when it comes to Pick-Six-Peterman.

And that's obviously oh-so-true considering Allen became the Bills QB after a mere 30 minutes of regular season football and neither of the 2 guys who were even in that QB competition over the Summer are even on the team, anymore, including your love-buddy Peterman.

• 5 weeks later...