Please name Josh Allen the starter

They should use JA to launch satellites into space.

Also. Noticed this the other night, curious if anyone felt the same. But I can’t remember the last time we went empty set on the 2-3 yard line on 3rd down. This is the difference. 

NP lines up empty set and the defense is drooling. JA lines up empty set and it’s going to start making defenses feel hopeless.

Just an optimistic thought.

Also. You truely could see the Browns D totally shift after a few Allen throws. Backed up, spread out. That dimensional addition changes the offensive diversification abilities quite tremendously. Back shoulders play more. 5-7 yard outs met with less draping coverage. His presence was clearly felt.

• Like (+1) 8

10 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

They should use JA to launch satellites into space.

Also. Noticed this the other night, curious if anyone felt the same. But I can’t remember the last time we went empty set on the 2-3 yard line on 3rd down. This is the difference. 

NP lines up empty set and the defense is drooling. JA lines up empty set and it’s going to start making defenses feel hopeless.

Just an optimistic thought.

Also. You truely could see the Browns D totally shift after a few Allen throws. Backed up, spread out. That dimensional addition changes the offensive diversification abilities quite tremendously. Back shoulders play more. 5-7 yard outs met with less draping coverage. His presence was clearly felt.

He threw ZERO deep pass against the Browns yet his arm strength still made a difference. Impressive

First preseason we were drooling at his arm strength and mobility. Physical stuff.

This time it was his poise, side steps, audibles, hard counts, 2 minute drills, command of the huddle... who expected that from him and so early?

Again he'll have growing pains and make dumb rookie mistakes, but he is the best of the 3, well make that 2 QBs now,  with the most upside. He has to start IMO. He has a lot to learn. but what quicker way than to do so on the job? He seems tough enough mentally to handle the inevitable slumps and all, and the coaches intelligent enough to mentor him mentally and not just skill wise and physically. And it's great that Nate has shown improvement that could make him a good backup.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1) those of you saying Allen is too mentally fragile to start as a rookie and should be spoon-fed until he’s able to walk, have to remember that Peterman had one of the most disasterous games in the history of the NFL - as a rookie - and he doesn’t seem to be any the worse for wear. So why do you think Allen would collapse under the pressure of getting beat a few times?

2) most impressive throw of the game for me was Allen’s third down throw to Holmes. He was on the money with a throw that HAS to be made 6, 7 times a game.

3) Allen is going to throw some picks, sure. But most of these will be down the field and almost as good as a punt. We all know what kind of INT Peterman is likely to throw - and those can end up being pick-sixes.

4) Let the kid take his lumps like Wentz and Goff did. The Bills probably won’t be that good this years, but who knows? With Allen at the helm, they could surprise. Does anyone think Peterman gives the Bills any chance at all of a good year?

5) I think so e of you need to tell McD and the rest of the coaching staff and team that this a rebuilding year. I don’t think they got the message. Have you already forgotten last year?

Start the kid. Let’s get him the experience he’s going to need to be able to make a real Super a bowl run in three years time. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

JMO but I have concerns about JA starting at this time in the regular season. I have a hard time believing that he has cleaned up the problems that were so evident in his college tape in the few months since he was drafted. It took AR three years to work out the kinks in his game - and they were fewer and less serious than Allen's. More recently a more accurate passer (under the tutelage of Andy Reid no less), P. Mahomes, was given a year to straighten out his footwork. 

JA brings as much physical ability to the table as Cam Newton or Andrew Luck. But he is a lot less polished than they were when they came into the league. JA is not Carson Wentz either. Wentz was fully in control of a pro style offence. Allen's offence may have featured pro style sets, but it's not just lining up under centre that makes it a pro offence. Unlike Wentz, Allen was given simplified half field read responsibilities where he threw to his receivers if and when they were open not unlike in a typical college spread system. He did not run a true pro style timing offence.

My concern is not that starting him early will destroy his confidence. He may at this time actually have too much of that. My concern is that starting him now behind a porous line will make it much more difficult for the coaches to work on correcting his flaws and bad tendencies, even if he gives the team the best chance of winning in the short term. Unless that stuff gets cleaned up he will never become franchise transforming player we all want him to be. 

My guess is that the braintrust will resist fan and media pressure to start him right away, meaning that we are likely to see Peterman.

With Mac out for what is now an indeterminate period the Bills are in a really tough spot as their options have been considerably limited.

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but I have concerns about JA starting at this time in the regular season. I have a hard time believing that he has cleaned up the problems that were so evident in his college tape in the few months since he was drafted. It took AR three years to work out the kinks in his game - and they were fewer and less serious than Allen's. More recently a more accurate passer (under the tutelage of Andy Reid no less), P. Mahomes, was given a year to straighten out his footwork. 

JA brings as much physical ability to the table as Cam Newton or Andrew Luck. But he is a lot less polished than they were when they came into the league. JA is not Carson Wentz either. Wentz was fully in control of a pro style offence. Allen's offence may have featured pro style sets, but it's not just lining up under centre that makes it a pro offence. Unlike Wentz, Allen was given simplified half field read responsibilities where he threw to his receivers if and when they were open not unlike in a typical college spread system. He did not run a true pro style timing offence.

My concern is not that starting him early will destroy his confidence. He may at this time actually have too much of that. My concern is that starting him now behind a porous line will make it much more difficult for the coaches to work on correcting his flaws and bad tendencies, even if he gives the team the best chance of winning in the short term. Unless that stuff gets cleaned up he will never become franchise transforming player we all want him to be. 

My guess is that the braintrust will resist fan and media pressure to start him right away, meaning that we are likely to see Peterman.

With Mac out for what is now an indeterminate period the Bills are in a really tough spot as their options have been considerably limited.

Carson Wentz and Jake Allen had the exact same HC in college, Craig Bohl. Bohl left South Dakota State and went to Wyoming. 

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Looks like a quick learner to me

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Carson Wentz and Jake Allen had the exact same HC in college, Craig Bohl. Bohl left South Dakota State and went to Wyoming. 

I know. It means absolutely nothing because of the differences between what Wentz was asked to do, and did, and what Allen's responsibilities were. If you think Allen is as polished and pro ready as Wentz was you are mistaken. Some of the differences are accounted for by the fact that Wentz, though also playing for a small school, had a much better team than Allen had, especially the 2017 WYO team.

The difference in talent between Mac and Nate on the one hand and Allen on the other is impossible to miss. Allen dwarfs them in terms of physical ability, that's readily apparent. Allen may well also give you the best chance of winning in the short term but becoming a franchise player is a longer term proposition. 

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Looks like a quick learner to me

Thats entirely possible. But a few months is almost certainly not long enuf to properly prepare him. It took AR three years. Mahomes got a year. 

Rodgers was behind a HOF QB, nobody will ever know if he came in day 1 that he wouldn't have lit it up.  He didn't need 3 years to learn, circumstances kept him on the bench because Favre kept jerking GB around until they finally had enough & handed the keys to Rodgers.  If Favre had retired or gotten himself traded earlier, most likely Rodgers would have been ready.  Who knows if Mahomes needed last year on the bench or not, or if he'll ever be any good.  

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I know. It means absolutely nothing because of the differences between what Wentz was asked to do, and did, and what Allen's responsibilities were. If you think Allen is as polished and pro ready as Wentz was you are mistaken. Some of the differences are accounted for by the fact that Wentz, though also playing for a small school, had a much better team than Allen had, especially the 2017 WYO team.

The difference in talent between Mac and Nate on the one hand and Allen on the other is impossible to miss. Allen dwarfs them in terms of physical ability, that's readily apparent. Allen may well also give you the best chance of winning in the short term but becoming a franchise player is a longer term proposition. 

Thats entirely possible. But a few months is almost certainly not long enuf to properly prepare him. It took AR three years. Mahomes got a year. 

It means something because he groomed both of them, presumably the same way, and has compared the two himself in certain ways they are similar. Of course they are not the same player. It would be very interesting if they both came out the same year which one would have been drafted higher, or if the Bills would have wanted Wentz over Allen. I don't know the answer and couldn't guess. The Bills fell in love with Allen as a guy almost as much as a player and prospect and now I can see why. And not saying anything wrong with Wentz at all. I like him. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Do I really need to point out that those 2 qbs sat behind pro bowl qbs?

Coaches cant afford to wait as long as what you are wanting....they just cant.

The best QB on your team needs to play......Allen is EASILY the best QB on this team.

Give him this year to make his makes and learn.....use that huge cap room and draft picks we didnt give up to give him proper protection and targets next year.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
49 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I disagree.  Allen has shown so far that the narrative about him in college was overblown.  I don't think there is any way to really measure how ready a guy is before he gets in the league.  Saying Wentz was more ready is convenient but comes with two years of watching him at the pro level.  The reason people don't think Allen is ready is because of pre-draft analysis that was likely way off in the first place.  Also as has already been said, Rodgers didn't start right away because he had a legend in front of him. 

I am of the opinion that there is not a thing in life that you can learn faster by watching than doing.  I also believe the idea that a QB needs to sit and watch is as outdated as defenses win championships.   

You talk about working on his flaws but that comes in practice day in and day out more than it does in games.  You drafted this guy 7th overall and he has looked the part so far.  This team went to the playoffs last year and if you start Peterman over him, all you are doing is giving your team less of a chance to win.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought Peteman's play last night was eye-opening.   He did a lot of good things.  

I'm usually a stats guy, and I distrust the eyeball test, so I'm way out of my comfort zone here, but I'll take what my eyes tell me about Allen over Peterman's obviously superior stats.   Why?   In part because of what I was saying about the game getting easier with Allen playing.  He's a better scrambler, a better thrower than Peterman.    Peterman looked to me like he always was on the edge of a disaster.  Allen looked like he was taking candy from a baby.   

Yea, I was at the game and agree about Peterman, he's fools gold and looks like he has to work his hardest to be effective preseason.  I just don't trust him when the real games start.

What was impressive about Allen was his decisions Friday night.  He was taking what the defense gave him and not just trying to gun it in a tight window all the time, just when needed (the TD).

Big jump for him.  I would rather he sit to start the year but IMO he's the best we've got and thus he should start.

I would like to see JA named the starter, but until I see some form of O-Line protection I think it's a bad idea. If the O-Line can show some sort of progress against Cinci, I say go ahead and name him the starter. Otherwise, if the O-Line doesn't come together and Peterman starts, JA could be in by the end of the 1st qrt against the Ravens. That way when JA makes the expected rookie mistakes the fans will stand behind him and the coaching staff instead of beating the crap out of them for starting him too early. But just my opinion...