Please name Josh Allen the starter

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Allen has shown flashes of brilliance. Unbelievable arm strength, some pocket presence, command of the huddle.  His potential is incredible.

McCarron looked horrible last night, not as good as last week.  Peterman looked OK, not as good as last week, but would start him over AJ in a minute.

That being said, Allen isn’t As NFL ready as the other two, but you have to start him.  Put him in next week for the first half, if not first 3 quarters.  His few rookie plays a game are outweighed by his ability.  Did I say that dudes arm is unbelievable?  

If he starts, the expectation can’t be the playoffs, 7-9 would be my guess.  I’m fine with that.

This is the correct analysis.  When you weigh all the pluses and minuses, Allens physical capabilities outweigh his lack of experience. He's just going to make more plays than Peterman.  He's more mobile and his arm allows him to complete passes that Peterman can't.  

Three examples:  Each of his two TD passes were big-time nfl throws.  Peterman probably doesn't make either of those plays.  But the play that meant a lot to me was the simple sideline throw to Holmes for a first down. There's no substitute for a guy who can get the ball there accurately with that velocity.  It makes completing passes in the short- to mid-range game so much easier.  He had a throw into a tight window over the middle that showed it too.  Tough plays for an average nfl arm, easy for him. 

His throwing ability is so special, and his mobility in the pocket is a plus, that it outweighs the things he hasn't learned yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Directly to the point.

Th I s a different play but it's exactly what I was talking about.  It's a huge advantage for the qb to be able to deliver the ball that quickly and accurately.  

Receivers love it, too, because they do the work to get open, and they don't want to wait for the ball while the defenders are closing in.  I m sure receivers are telling McD "play the kid.  Please."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

If he had started this game, there’s a good chance he’s out the season. I don’t see him faring any better from McCarron from that hit.

You put money on AJ you crimson fan boy... Didn't you? ?

You are the only person who actually sounds upset that Allen looks so good.

Edited by JaxBills

Since neither Nate nor AJ have shown to outclass Allen, why not start him? If it were still TT, sure. But IMO at least have Allen start this week 3. I would have liked too to have him groomed but he's as ready (or not) as the other two QBs which is now down to one anyway... He'll learn more by playing than watching Nate who is only a 2nd year guy with less than 2 games of NFL experience. And I like that Nate seems a quality backup as with that OLine play we might see all 3 QBs this year no matter who starts first!

Yeah... let's forget that AJ got hurt because our o-line got man-handled. That's really what Allen need right now. 

It's funny, when our QB's suck, "it's only preseason gosh!" But when we see one do well, it's full steam ahead, next stop Hall of Fame! 

And despite Peterman actually playing better than any of our starters, we could care less because "oh , ah! Look at Josh Allen's arm!" And all based on some preseason games... If he was the exact same person, only drafted in the 5th round, I highly doubt there'd be half as much of this going around. 

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Allen has shown flashes of brilliance. Unbelievable arm strength, some pocket presence, command of the huddle.  His potential is incredible.

McCarron looked horrible last night, not as good as last week.  Peterman looked OK, not as good as last week, but would start him over AJ in a minute.

That being said, Allen isn’t As NFL ready as the other two, but you have to start him.  Put him in next week for the first half, if not first 3 quarters.  His few rookie plays a game are outweighed by his ability.  Did I say that dudes arm is unbelievable?  

If he starts, the expectation can’t be the playoffs, 7-9 would be my guess.  I’m fine with that.

This is exactly how I feel about all three QBs.

Eagles threw Wentz in as a rookie and the team went (7-9).  He showed progress all season and came into the next season with that experience under his belt.  He looked great (until his injury) last year - MVP-style great.  That likely wouldn't be the case had they red-shirted him the year before.

Before I get pounced on, my only comparison (for the purposes of this thread) of Allen to Wentz is that they are/were both rookies.

All along, my stance is that I hope McD starts the best QB.  I honestly can't see how anyone could not believe that Allen is the best QB on this roster.

Go Bills!

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Directly to the point.

CB...I was not one of those upset when they drafted him, but now I am just plain starting to love this kid.

what a crying shame that he just plain is not ready and should sit, and needs the most time to develope of the first round qbs,  and has played against limited talent in Wyoming, and wasn't that good and has a low completion percentage, and has the maverick tendency of being able to learn from his coaches, and shows signs of being a racist in a tweet when he was 15.

...ridiculous.

Just now, BigDingus said:

Yeah... let's forget that AJ got hurt because our o-line got man-handled. That's really what Allen need right now. 

It's funny, when our QB's suck, "it's only preseason gosh!" But when we see one do well, it's full steam ahead, next stop Hall of Fame! 

And despite Peterman actually playing better than any of our starters, we could care less because "oh , ah! Look at Josh Allen's arm!" And all based on some preseason games... If he was the exact same person, only drafted in the 5th round, I highly doubt there'd be half as much of this going around. 

I'll say it again.  The Bills are not making the QB decision based on the status of the OL. They will start Allen based on his own development time table and performance on the field. 

AJM contributes to some of the hits he takes by holding on to the ball too long without much in the way of mobility. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

He's exactly what we were told he can be, people didn't want to listen because college completion% > Actual talent

You have to accept that the argument was legitimate.  He was a low probability guy.... But I've also said the statistics arent made in a vacuum, so trends get bucked.  

Cred to Beane for being the man.

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Th I s a different play but it's exactly what I was talking about.  It's a huge advantage for the qb to be able to deliver the ball that quickly and accurately.  

Receivers love it, too, because they do the work to get open, and they don't want to wait for the ball while the defenders are closing in.  I m sure receivers are telling McD "play the kid.  Please."

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dk4WNwTWwAANF64.jpg

Dk4WNwWW4AAk07Z.jpg

Dk4WNwWW0AY76g7.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

You put money on AJ you crimson fan boy... Didn't you? ?

You are the only person who actually sounds upset that Allen looks so good.

Why would I be upset that Allen looks good? I’ve been a big defender in the face of the ridiculous QBASE and accuracy claims.

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

If he had started this game, there’s a good chance he’s out the season. I don’t see him faring any better from McCarron from that hit.

So you think that the hit Allen took from the db on I do believe his 2nd snap was not a hard hit? Allen absorbed the hit from a guy who had a running start and Allen almost managed to shake it off. The db couldn't drop Allen with the hit and had to throw him to the ground. It didn't phase Allen. I watched him all through college taking hits and putting hits on people. Allen is not an easy guy to take down. You will find out the guy is tough. I don't see your reasoning why Allen would have gotten hurt if he had started the game. Did you not see what he had to put up with in the game before?

I really don’t agree with those that say Allen is not as NFL ready as Peterman, who was a 5th round draft pick last year. Peterman isn’t some time wiley veteran.

Start Allen. The kid certainly is physically ready and the learning part will come along just fine. Nothing about him makes me worry he will shrivel up with a bad throw or a bad game.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Many media members were impressed with Allen's performance, but ESPN's Darren Woodson took praise for the quarterback to the next level on SportsCenter. According to Woodson, Allen is destined to be a superstar in the NFL.

"Josh Allen's play absolutely jumped out at me today," Woodson said on SportsCenter. "The one thing you know about him is his arm's electric. He's a big-time football player. A big-time athlete that can run around the outside of the pocket. He can sit in the pocket. He can make every throw on the football field. He needs more reps. Once he gets those reps, this kid is destined to be an absolute superstar."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With A.J out this is a two man race.  Right now I have it at 50/50 with Allen moving up and Peterman treading water.  I think teammates (and fans)are starting to get excited about the big play skills Allen brings to the table. Coach would love to already have this piece solved but I think both players will get a good portion next week and the winner of game three starts.

30 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The thing you and  lot of other people don't see, I that defenses have to play differently when Allen is in the game. They have to respect his pocket presense and scrambling ability. They can't give a step on short throws because of how quick the ball gets there. And they certainly don't want to get beat deep. So if you don't understand it all yet, I will spell it out for you. Defenses have to play him straight up. That helps out the line as he doesn't get sacked often, making them look better than they are. His offensive weapons have more room to do their thing. Little things like better spacing and defenses can't load up the box. I can go on all day pointing out the intangibles Allen brings . If you don't get it yet you probably don't understand football at a very basic level.

Edited by BB@Shooter

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Lots of analysis was done as to how Marrone ruined EJ. Look at first down play calls and Marrone and Manuel. The read is worth it. It explains EJs first four game peak as a rookie to slide into oblivion under Marrone.

Marrone ruined EJ's potential. EJ was a solid B class starting QB waiting to happen, but needed coaching and stability.

Allen is so much better than EJ, but after EJ I don't want to rush any Bills QB. It's wash and repeat. Allen is a special talent, can he handle it so soon? Will Buffalo or the Bills organization handle 4-12 to 6-10 to let a QB grow?

If injuries dictate it, go young. Go young across the board. QB, OL, DL, LB etc. Start to build the empire. Take it on the chin this year.

Let Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Teller, Ike, Lee etc earn their lumps together. It formed our best teams.

Can we as fans, media etc handle this?

Injuries to KW and AJM make us question this.

I'm ready to go young. I argued for it at WR, where the vets have looked ok, but not the other positions.

Give Teller, Groy, Miller, Ike B. Lets bring on Murphy. Lets bring on the young WR.

Let's move ahead with the rebuild and see what we have. At 4-12 to 6-10 go young. See what you have and draft for weaknesses.

The KW and AJM injuries have me rethinking everything.

Maybe it's not just the WR position that needs a youth injection, maybe it's across the board.

Let's see what McDermott et al have as coaches, and teach up a young team.

Good points. I look at EJ like a plain donut. Not bad, you can get behind it and even say its pretty good. Then when a vanilla dip with sprinkles comes along, you had no idea it even existed. Now, that plain donut is kind of a drag. 

We had never had a hot shot rookie qb of our own that was decent. No comparisons we could get behind.

Preseason or not, its pretty easy to deduce Allen has the frosting AND sprinkles.

Im just hoping there isnt one out there w/frosting, sprinkles AND JELLY FILLED;)

• Like (+1) 1