Please name Josh Allen the starter

42 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol, there were a LOT of us. In fact, most of Buffalo figured we drafted the wrong Josh. As a fan of the team, at somepoint ya just need to move on and get behind it. Hes making it easier as we progress. You are more likely the majority rather than the minority

Fwiw (and i dont disagree w you) but EJ sure did show a lot of poise in that CAR comeback. Fooled maybe people by flashing a glimpse of the IT factor..

Lots of analysis was done as to how Marrone ruined EJ. Look at first down play calls and Marrone and Manuel. The read is worth it. It explains EJs first four game peak as a rookie to slide into oblivion under Marrone.

Marrone ruined EJ's potential. EJ was a solid B class starting QB waiting to happen, but needed coaching and stability.

Allen is so much better than EJ, but after EJ I don't want to rush any Bills QB. It's wash and repeat. Allen is a special talent, can he handle it so soon? Will Buffalo or the Bills organization handle 4-12 to 6-10 to let a QB grow?

If injuries dictate it, go young. Go young across the board. QB, OL, DL, LB etc. Start to build the empire. Take it on the chin this year.

Let Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Teller, Ike, Lee etc earn their lumps together. It formed our best teams.

Can we as fans, media etc handle this?

Injuries to KW and AJM make us question this.

I'm ready to go young. I argued for it at WR, where the vets have looked ok, but not the other positions.

Give Teller, Groy, Miller, Ike B. Lets bring on Murphy. Lets bring on the young WR.

Let's move ahead with the rebuild and see what we have. At 4-12 to 6-10 go young. See what you have and draft for weaknesses.

The KW and AJM injuries have me rethinking everything.

Maybe it's not just the WR position that needs a youth injection, maybe it's across the board.

Let's see what McDermott et al have as coaches, and teach up a young team.

• Like (+1) 1

I was very negative towards the pick at first but completely turned around. It might be preseason but you can get a decent feel for some things.

Allen throws a hell of a jump ball when the defender has his back turned. We haven't had that in a long time. Somebody with the guts and talent to put the ball where your guy catches or it's incomplete. These are chunk gains so seeing this is fantastic.

Allen's delivery and arm strength allow him to be slower as far as reading defenses. He trusts his arm and he can see things and deliver the ball where others would surely be picked. It will bite him at times as he develops but he will always be able to react to what he sees faster than most QB's based on his release and arm strength.

Allen is pretty nimble and likely not fun to tackle. You will have to spy this kid. That is crazy to think. You have to spy a guy who probably has the strongest arm in the NFL and when you tackle him he falls forward.

Improvisation skills are certainly well developed. He can escape the pocket and throw it to virtually any place on the field. Also very solid throwing from odd angles. 

Guy is dynamic in the red zone. Run/Pass/Broken play. Another thing that might bite him a bit early just as far as risk taking in the RZ but he has generated some incredible TD's that very few QB's could execute. 

Some things I want to see improve is staying in the pocket. He bailed a lot in Wyoming even when he had a pocket.  He's doing some similar things so far in the preseason. We have seen some glimpses of him standing tall and stepping up. He's a natural with playaction and steps up in that situation. Just not as often from the shotgun. 

Curious if they could redraft based on the first two preseason games if Allen goes #1. He's been impressive.   

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 7

I was definitely in the let Josh sit and learn this year camp. I figured the defense would be better and the running game would be good, so we'd be ok with

McCarron or Peterman managing the offense until Josh was ready (later this year or next year). I really expected McCarron to be our starter for game 1. Nathan #2 and for Josh to remain #3 for now. I thought McCarron's experience would make him the best start.

After last preseason game, I was really impressed with Josh, and though they had similar numbers, I thought Peterman had a better game than McCarron. So, in my mind Peterman jumped McCarron and Josh showed promise, but probably still wasn't ready yet. 

After tonight's game, although I thought Peterman again played well, it seems clear that we might as well put Josh in and ride the roller coaster. I feel really bad for McCarron getting injured, and yes, the offensive line didn't help him tonight...but that is not an excuse really in McCarron's favor because if the O-line has trouble then you don't want someone like McCarron in there, you either want Josh (whose pocket presence is great and who can scramble) or Peterman, who gets the ball out fast. So, I do think despite the O-line and injury, McCarron played himself out of the starter competition tonight. Since Allen is the better talent overall, the only reason you don't start him is if you're worried that he will make too many rookie mistakes that would hurt the team or his development, but he hasn't shown that that will be the case with his first two preseason games. No doubt there will be some bad plays and mistakes, like the 4th down play last game, or wasting a time out or not reading the blitzing safety tonight...but his good plays have far outweighed his mistakes. I now believe he gives the team the best chance to win.

And as far as the idea of ruining the kid by playing him too early, there are a couple of reasons why I'm not worried about that. 1. Josh is a level-headed, humble kid who has had to work for what he has, so I don't think it's in his personality to fold under pressure. He's coming from a bad Wyoming team, not a stacked SEC team. He knows how to handle adversity, losing, being up against it. 2. McDermott's culture and team first mentality. The team will support him through the good and bad, like they have with Peterman.

I can no longer find a reason not to start Josh Allen week 1. Let the new era begin.

Go Bills!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

KZooMike, my good friend, YE OLE concurs. I hated the pick on draft night. I had bought the narrative that he had generational talent in terms of arm strength but couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Clearly, the woeful accuracy thing is not true. He’s fitting the ball into some tight windows.

We’ve obviously all talked about it, but the way the ball travels to the receiver it literally looks like he’s playing a different game than everyone else. I would’ve been over the moon had we gotten Mayfield or Darnold, and would’ve preferred Rosen over Allen, but as of right now I think I would take Allen over all of them. It’s preseason and who’s to say how any of them turn out, but Allen does things on a level that the other QBs in this class physically can’t do. Maybe he’ll still devolve into a complete train wreck, but right now I certainly see what McBeane bought into.

• Like (+1) 5

I feel like he gives us the best chance to win seeing him out there over the other two QB's.  The arm talent is something we have not seen with our Bills. If he starts this season he will have his ups and downs but should still learn and develope like Wentz in his first two seasons. That's THE PROCESS we're looking for.  IN THE PROCESS WE TRUST!!  GO BILLS!!

Edited by BuffaloButt

Allen is making it really hard for McD not to start him in week 1. He is so. Exciting to watch.  He’s not perfect, but what rookie is perfect.  For all f the hype about fantastic Mayfield is on the field, he still looked like a rookie last night.  I’m such an addict, I’m actually watching the replay on NFLN even though I just watched last night.

id love to see Allen start next week and see how he does now that McCarron is out with the hairline fracture.  I’m surewe’ll Hear more today.  I know I’ll be listening to press pass with Vic on NFLR this morning as he usually gives a very balanced opinion.  I know some posters find fault in every announcer and reporter covering the Bills (see Tasker thread), but I like him as well as Sal.

• PlayoffsPlease changed the title to Please name Josh Allen the starter
9 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

He's looking better than Baker. Baker is 2/4 for 0 yards lol.

Baker only did well once the 2s and 3s were in. TT was terrible last night. 

8 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Allen just called more audibles in a quarter of football than Tyrod Taylor in three years as a Buffalo Bill. They guy seems to be in command of the offense. I'm afraid that Vlad Ducasse and weak ass Bodine will get the starter killed once the games are for real. 

I wanted to say maybe Dennison had something to do with no audibles but I dont recall  TT audibling at all last night either.

• Like (+1) 1

On talent, there is no doubt who the best Bills QB is: it is clearly Josh Allen. He has that IT! factor. It's must-see TV when he is on the field.

Peterman has looked good -- very good -- in the preseason. But there is no doubt who is more dynamic and who has more upside between him and Allen. So now with McCarron is out of the picture, all things considered, I would roll the dice with Allen.

Also, consider this, as far as game experience, Peterman has exactly two NFL starts, and both of those were about a quarter. He has one half of a game more playing time than Josh Allen. Yes, he has a head start on practice and study time, but at the end of the day, it is a meritocracy and the better player needs to be on the field.

Start Josh Allen now!

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I see one trait that is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to teach.

He seems to know where the rush is coming from, except the free blitzer, which is easily coachable.

Yes - also quick release and fast ball beats defense    Esp zones.  

Im all in. I get why they liked him. Start him 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He looks like the starter. Peterman and McCarron just aren't very good. 

I'm still voting for starting Peterman week 1 and ease Allen into it. I think Allen will be starting halfway through the season, anyway.

There's no rush.

wondering why....what does Peterman have over Allen?    and you're right...he does look like the starter

Edited by nucci

7 hours ago, The_Dude said:

The thing on Allen — and I hate to say this — TRUST THE PROCESS. 

I dont care about the W-L record this season. 

I dont. 

This season is allllll about Allen. And I don’t care if he plays. 

If the line cant hold — don’t play him. 

Take it slow. Get it right. 

If hes ready — giddyup! 

But please, God, let him be the guy. 

I do see a bit of Kelly’s grip-it-and-rip-it in him. 

So many Bills fans only remember the bad about Trent Edwards. 

But there was a time when this board was going nuts over him. In 2008 the Buffalo Bills started 4-0 and so many were saying that Edwards looked like a young Joe Montana. Then they went to Arizona and after three passes an unblocked Cardinals rusher sacked Edwards and drove his helmet into the turf resulting in a very serious concussion. Edwards was never the same after that play even though he won the next game against San Diego. 

That unblocked hit on Edwards was very much like the one Josh Allen took in that first series as a Brown player came unblocked on 2nd and 7 and flung Allen to the ground. No concussion this time. but all it takes is one bad one and he could be done for the year or longer ...like Edwards. 

Josh Allen is bigger, stronger than Edwards but even Aaron Rodgers has suffered concussions that have taken him out for long periods of time. Looking at the Packers over the last few seasons they might have taken a toll. 

After watching what AJ McCarron went through against that first string Cleveland defense with that Bills line looking like a sieve and not holding their blocks. This was against the CLEVELAND BROWNS! Not the Ravens, not the Vikings, not the Chargers, Not the Packers, not the Texans! 

Like The_Dude said, Take it slow. Get it right! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He's progressing perfectly. Peterman should start and play until a change is needed. Let Allen continue to develop.

why should Peterman start?

8 hours ago, The_Dude said:

The thing on Allen — and I hate to say this — TRUST THE PROCESS. 

I dont care about the W-L record this season. 

I dont. 

This season is allllll about Allen. And I don’t care if he plays. 

If the line cant hold — don’t play him. 

Take it slow. Get it right. 

If hes ready — giddyup! 

But please, God, let him be the guy. 

I do see a bit of Kelly’s grip-it-and-rip-it in him. 

you would be ok if Bills finish 2-14?

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

As of today he's earned it. Let Allen start next week and see if he can jump Peterman. Once you name Allen the guy you can't go back. I would rather Peterman take the lumps in a tough early schedule.

ok but I don't see how Peterman has earned it....Obviously I could be wrong but not sure how Peterman gives us a better chance to win....now coaches may feel Allen is still learning to read defenses....I just don't see Peterman as the best option...

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

ok but I don't see how Peterman has earned it....Obviously I could be wrong but not sure how Peterman gives us a better chance to win....now coaches may feel Allen is still learning to read defenses....I just don't see Peterman as the best option...

Why hasn't he earned it? His start was nearly flawless. He's done nothing to lose the job. Allen is gaining, but you have to remember, he's going to struggle as a rookie vs top defense. So you have to be realistic and understand it won't be pretty early on. Are you prepared to struggle with Allen starting, if not then let Peterman start to take pressure off Allen.

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Why hasn't he earned it? His start was nearly flawless. He's done nothing to lose the job. Allen is gaining, but you have to remember, he's going to struggle as a rookie vs top defense. So you have to be realistic and understand it won't be pretty early on. Are you prepared to struggle with Allen starting, if not then let Peterman start to take pressure off Allen.

You make good points but Peterman could struggle as well....I don't have the answer but I would prefer to see Allen....I've been wrong before.....