Sam Darnold Dazzles in Debut

Gugny

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

This brings me to the Bills' playoff drought.

Did the Bills really "make" the playoffs? 

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

It is like banging the fat girl, after a 17year dry spell. Yeah, it is over, but I'd keep that to myself. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

Yes, they played the Jaguars and lost 10-3. They didn't back in. They finished 9-7 and qualified as a wild card based on NFL rules

Just now, nucci said:

Yes, they played the Jaguars and lost 10-3. They didn't back in. They finished 9-7 and qualified as a wild card based on NFL rules

Watching the end of another game after your season is over, hoping a team loses so you can "get into" the playoffs is the textbook definition of backing in.

Just now, Gugny said:

Watching the end of another game after your season is over, hoping a team loses so you can "get into" the playoffs is the textbook definition of backing in.

Look at it how you want. The Bills played in the playoffs last year. That's all that matters.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

Look at it how you want. The Bills played in the playoffs last year. That's all that matters.....

Sometimes I agree with this.  Like I said ... I'm torn!

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

So, with your logic, I guess Armando Galarraga really did throw a perfect game then, huh?

Dude ... that was heartbreaking.  But no, it doesn't go both ways.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Sometimes I agree with this.  Like I said ... I'm torn!

Don't be...it'll drive you nuts...just enjoy it...I think they make the playoffs again. They are not as bad as most seem to think

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn't the first time a team got help and "backed in" to the playoffs...step one is to put yourself in the position to even be able to get in with some help. The Bills did that much last year. Didn't the Giants "back in" when they beat the **Pats in the Super Bowl???

Sure, the Bills had some luck (for once). That shouldn't take away from what they did do, what they could control. Sometimes its better to be lucky, than good.

The drought is over. Regardless of how it happened, embrace it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We'll, nothing says it can't start over.. but yes by definition.

To your point though,  I think so.  Even if we miss this year, I think McBeane can sail this ship.   (I loved embedded!)

That backed in stuff is kind of a cop out to me.

Edited by JaxBills

I see the argument the OP is making.  On one hand, officially, the drought is over.  On the other hand, it would be nice to see them decisively get into the playoffs without help.  As to the former, that was probably the best case scenario for last years team, so they out performed IMO.  As to the later, I don't expect to see that until next season.  If the Bills get into the playoffs this year, I suspect it will be similar to what we saw seven months ago.

Just now, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

It wasn't the first time a team got help and "backed in" to the playoffs...step one is to put yourself in the position to even be able to get in with some help. The Bills did that much last year. Didn't the Giants "back in" when they beat the **Pats in the Super Bowl???

Sure, the Bills had some luck (for once). That shouldn't take away from what they did do, what they could control. Sometimes its better to be lucky, than good.

The drought is over. Regardless of how it happened, embrace it.

in sports you always need some luck to win a championship...

• Like (+1) 2

I think that there is universal agreement on this topic. The Bills were pulled into the playoffs by Cincy.  When have you ever seen such an outpouring of $$$ from one fan base to a player on an opposing team.  That was our way of saying “thank you” to Cincy for getting us in the playoffs.

I’m extremely happy with the progress that the team made last season, please don’t misread me, but, we needed more than a little help to get to that playoff game.

The drought will officially be over when the Bills warm their way into the playoffs.

It is an acceptable and oft used way to make the playoffs. We’ve had a number of 9-7 & 8-8 years since the Music City Debacle that could have turned out better for us from a League perspective. If it did, would you be questioning that we ‘by rights’ shouldnt have been in those playoffs as well? What if we won the SB from a last minute of the last game invite due to another teams misfortune? Would you taint that as well?

End story: we did our part and waited on other Game results to see if it was enough. Happens nearly every year.

This time it was.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think that there is universal agreement on this topic. The Bills were pulled into the playoffs by Cincy.  When have you ever seen such an outpouring of $$$ from one fan base to a player on an opposing team.  That was our way of saying “thank you” to Cincy for getting us in the playoffs.

I’m extremely happy with the progress that the team made last season, please don’t misread me, but, we needed more than a little help to get to that playoff game.

The drought will officially be over when the Bills warm their way into the playoffs.

Every year someone gets in because someone else loses.  That's why they play the games.  It's such an odd concept to me.  We had to win our share too.  It's almost self loathing,lol?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaxBills said:

Every year someone gets in because someone else loses.  That's why they play the games.  It's such an odd concept to me.  We had to win our share too.  It's almost self loathing,lol?

It's Buffalo

• Haha (+1) 2