Sam Darnold Dazzles in Debut

Gugny

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

This brings me to the Bills' playoff drought.

Did the Bills really "make" the playoffs? 

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

Yes, it's over.  Lots of team need someone to win/lose the last week of the season.  I think you'd feel different if the Bengals won early in the day, and then we won to get in.  

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

This brings me to the Bills' playoff drought.

Did the Bills really "make" the playoffs? 

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

This is 'alternate facts' argument. Regarding the no -hiiter. You said 'in reality , it is not'. Actually, in reality it is, because that's how it's recorded in the record books. It's a no hitter.  Do you really think like this? It makes no sense at all.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well, that’s it then. The Great and Mighty Klos has spoken.

It shouldn't have been necessary for me to speak, but yeah, once I have spoken the discussion should be over. Carry on now.

Just now, nucci said:

really? no reason to be a d**k....That should be it...we played in a playoff game....therefore....

I don’t think I was. It was a takeoff from the Wizard of Oz. But, if klos mosunderstood then he has my full apology. Still, you must admit, he was rather dismissive and overly definitive in his statement.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jusr a guess, but me thinks Gugs is just stirrin’ the pot.. He’s pretty effective in that role.

Oh sure, but what the hell.  I made a poll anyway.

Don't think we will see many votes in the "NOT" camp.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jusr a guess, but me thinks Gugs is just stirrin’ the pot.. He’s pretty effective in that role.

this thread is no longer....

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

I don’t think I was. It was a takeoff from the Wizard of Oz. But, if klos mosunderstood then he has my full apology. Still, you must admit, he was rather dismissive and overly definitive in his statement.

ahh, sorry for the overreaction then....but it should be a definitive statement. The Bills made the playoffs....therefore the drought is over......

Edited by nucci

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Watching the end of another game after your season is over, hoping a team loses so you can "get into" the playoffs is the textbook definition of backing in.

This is fan lingo, and its 100% false.  

Whats the difference then if we are the late game and the Bengals game was the morning game?  In that scenario, the spot is open for us if we win...we still HAVE to win our game to get in.  

Furthermore...what if both teams were 11 win teams like when the Pats did NOT get in when Cassel started.  Thats an 11 win team that did not get in for tie breaker reasons.  

Bottom line is, if your team does enough to make the playoffs, you have made the playoffs.  There is no "back in" category, you are either in or not...there is no other bracket.  Bills had to win no matter what that last week, and they got the job done.  Period.  Other teams had a chance to get in, and they ultimately did NOT do enough to get in and the Bills did.  Everyone plays under the same rules, tie breakers, etc.  When two teams tie, its absurd to say the winning team "backed in", especially in a 16 game season where every single game is massively important unlike basketball or baseball.  

So no offense, but I hate this absurd "back in" notion to discredit the accomplishment.  Sure, you prefer to see a team win the division and not leave themselves vulnerable, but our streak is absolutely broken without question.  

Disclaimer:  I would be more on board with a "backed in" label if say the Bills were in a position of "Win and you are IN, but lose and someone else needs to lose to get IN".  For example, had the case been if we beat the Fins we are 100% in no matter what, but if we lose in week 17 we can still get in if someone else loses.  In that case, we are put in a position of controlling our own destiny...if we lose our way into the playoffs, I can get more on board of the "backed in" notion even though the reality is making the playoffs still counts no matter what in terms of "breaking the streak".  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

We deserved to be there 

Having said that you can I think make an argument we’re still in a drought.  We actually haven’t won a playoff game since 1995.  The actual Jags game was pretty forgettable 

Edited by Another Fan

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

I think it's easy to be over definitive- it's a clear cut question. Is the playoff drought over. If we made the playoffs, it is, if we didn't make it last season, it would still be on. Let's not overthink this.

Just now, klos63 said:

I think it's easy to be over definitive- it's a clear cut question. Is the playoff drought over. If we made the playoffs, it is, if we didn't make it last season, it would still be on. Let's not overthink this.

But, the subtleties should be considered.

Stuff like this is stupid and stop being a fan. Yes the drought is over they made the playoffs and lost to Jacksonville. It will say that forever in the history books.

I despise when people play the shoulda coulda game on what happened during the season. You are your record and the result that followed. The Bills 1990 team shoulda been SB champs but they missed a FG plus a sh*t ton of other chances to close. Guess what history will say forever they lost regardless of circumstance and history will say the 2017-18 Buffalo Bills made the playoffs ending the drought.

Sorry if your fantasy of the team going 11-5, winning the division, and being a true contender wasn't reached, but this was the team that did it. if you honestly can't enjoy what happened regardless of what it took just stop cheering for the Bills and join the Patriots bandwagon loser.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

But, the subtleties should be considered.

maybe for a different discussion- were the Bills worthy of a playoff spot, were they good enough, did they get lucky or luckier than other teams....

When a team loses but a competitor for the playoffs also loses, and the competitor is eliminated while your team advances, that's backing in.

Winning your last game and having a competitor lose a game on the same day is NOT backing in.  That's what happened.