Sam Darnold Dazzles in Debut

Gugny

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

This brings me to the Bills' playoff drought.

Did the Bills really "make" the playoffs? 

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

I've already said this so many times, but I'll say it one more:

The Bills DID earn their way into the playoffs. ONE MORE LOSS anywhere in the season and they don't get in.

They beat a Broncos team that was 2-0 and playing hot at the time. They beat the playoff-bound Falcons IN Atlanta. They took care of the Raiders and Bucs at home. The Bucs game, in particular, was NOT a gimme. After a horrible midseason stretch, they rebounded and beat the Chiefs in a crucial game AT ARROWHEAD! They beat the Colts at home, which if you've forgotten, is a game they almost lost. They then won enough of the remaining games that they needed to win, including sweeping the Dolphins. Also winning a must-win week 17 game is never a gimme, especially for the Buffalo Bills.

Yes, it took the help of the Bengals to put them into the playoffs. However, by winning the games they won throughout the year, they put themselves into position to be the beneficiaries of the Bengals win. Again, had they lost ONE MORE GAME anywhere in the season, they wouldn't have made the playoffs. They were a well-coached team, beat some quality opponents, and made the playoffs with an arguably inferior roster. It happened. Let's move on.

5 minutes ago, macaroni said:

IMHO …..

I don't consider the drought as over. We haven't played our way into the playoffs, we needed help. HOWEVER, the clock has been reset, we Bills fans no longer have to suffer the "experts" pointing out that it's been 17 years since we've appeared in a playoff game.

Wow. We’re you mistreated as kid? Did your parents take your Xmas gifts and give them to poor kids?

There’ve been TEN WIN teams that didn’t make the playoffs -including the Pats* in this era. No one here was involved in setting up the NFL Playoff rules. All we can do is live -or die- by them. 

Its over. 

It's over because we played a playoff game and that's official.  Nor was it the product of error.

Was it the most convincing regular season campaign in league history? The most solidly earned playoff berth of all time?

Hardly.

But karma has a way of working out in the end.

We were barely what could be considered a playoff team and that was demonstrated when we lost our first game to a middling opponent with only 3 points to show for our efforts.

That's a fitting playoff performance for the team in that year.

It's also why Tyrod is gone.  That 3 point performance in Jacksonville was his ceiling.

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Watching the end of another game after your season is over, hoping a team loses so you can "get into" the playoffs is the textbook definition of backing in.

If the Bengals game ended before ours, would that be NOT backing in? Is that the only issue here,  the timing of the games? 

Just now, Gugny said:

It looks like it's split about 50/50.  I think it's a legitimate discussion to be having.

Pretty sure there was an 11 Win team that missed out at one point. 

I wish a team had to have a winning record to be eligible. But that’s not the rules.

Creating ‘yeah, Buts’ serves no purpose. We didn’t write and can’t change the rules to fit a perspective narrative.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It looks like it's split about 50/50.  I think it's a legitimate discussion to be having.

No it's not. We made the playoffs, therefore the playoff drought is over. Just because half the posters here think otherwise doesn't make it a legitimate discussion. That half is totally wrong. We made the playoffs. It's no longer a playoff drought. Over!

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with this .... I still consider the Mets to be a team with zero no hitters in its history.  Why?  Because in 2012, when Santana was vying for the 1st no-no in franchise history, Carlos Beltran got a base hit that was a) obvious and b) erroneously ruled foul.  On paper, it's a no-hitter.  In reality, it is not.  And I'm a Mets fan.

This brings me to the Bills' playoff drought.

Did the Bills really "make" the playoffs? 

The Bills' regular season was over after the Dolphins game.  The Bills didn't do enough to make the playoffs.

The Bengals did enough for the Bills to make the playoffs.  That is the reality.

And yes ... I feel the same way about the (7-9) Seattle team (even though they actually won a playoff game).

I'm torn.  Part of me says, "Yes, the drought is over."  But part of me says, "It's not over until the Bills make the playoffs without having to back in."

No disrespect to the thread starter, but I absolutely hate this argument.  If the Bengals vs. Ravens game that happened Week 17 had instead been played in, say Week 3, and that game unfolded the exact same way...the Bills Vs. Dolphins game Week 17 would have been a win-and-in scenario for Buffalo.  EVERY playoff spot has some "thing" associated with it that happened during the season that could be construed as "lucky" that aided X team in getting a playoff spot.

The Bill did not back in to the playoffs...they just...made the playoffs.

The national media liked to say the Bills needed help to get in the playoffs.  Guess what?  Every team technically needs "help" to get in the playoffs.  They need to win their games and other teams need to lose certain games.  Just because it happened in the last game of the season doesn't, in any way, shape, or form diminish the accomplishment.

Enjoy it...the drought is over!

Just now, klos63 said:

No it's not. We made the playoffs, therefore the playoff drought is over. Just because half the posters here think otherwise doesn't make it a legitimate discussion. That half is totally wrong. We made the playoffs. It's no longer a playoff drought. Over!

Well, that’s it then. The Great and Mighty Klos has spoken.