Bills, Browns prognosis for 2018

Foreigner

This is just one persons opinion. (Matt Youmans, co-host of VSIN's The Edge-VSIN.com and SiriusXM 204)

Bills- This one is obvious. The Bills' expected regression from 9-7 is reflected in the betting market, where their

win total has been adjusted to 6. Buffalo finshed with a minus-57 point differential and was a fortunate playoff

participant last year. Tyrod Taylor, the quarterback who saved the season, scrambled off to Cleveland. At some

point in September or October, the Bills will probably start rookie Josh Allen, who has intriguing arm

strength, but is not ready to win many games in the NFL.

Browns-From 0-16, there's nowhere to go but up. A inside look at the Browns, via HBO's "Hard Knocks", shows the

team's coordinators - Todd Haley and Gregg Williams - are far more competent than  head coach Hue Jackson. 

Cleveland still has plenty of problems, but its win total is six, and Salmons (Westgate SB manager Ed Salmons)

has a bold prediction:

"Cleveland is going to bounce the other way," Salmons said. "The mistakes that killed this team last year are not 

going to happen with Tyrod Taylor. He knows how to play the game and he can run. I like Haley. Anything to get

Hue Jackson away from the offense is a good thing. The offensive line looks pretty good, and I really like their

defense. I think the Browns will end up winning eight or nine games".  

Don't kill me guys, I'm just the messenger to what I saw today in print.

4 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Browns-From 0-16, there's nowhere to go but up.

I really hate this expression for the obvious reason.  There is somewhere else they can go, nowhere.  That being said, I do think they will win a few games but don't think they will get to .500.

• Like (+1) 2

The Supremes recently changed the law.  Pretty soon most of the states that have lotteries, will have legal wagering,

whether online, mobile, apps or whatever way they came dream up to separate you from your money.

I stopped reading at "...Tyrod, the quarterback that saved the season."  Now if I can only stop laughing. ?

The Bills looked terrible on paper last season, too.  Coaching and defense saved the season.  Spirit of the thread...Bills 7-9 wins, Browns 4-6.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 2

Timely takeaways saved the season last year.

Takeaway totals - unfortunately - aren't very consistent from season to season.  They're a combination of skill & luck and not dependent on skill alone. 

That said, this year's defense will probably be better.  

27 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I stopped reading at "...Tyrod, the quarterback that saved the season."  Now if I can only stop laughing. ?

The Bills looked terrible on paper last season, too.  Coaching and defense saved the season.  Spirit of the thread...Bills 7-9 wins, Browns 4-6.

if that helps you sleep.

still amazes me how this fan base treated TT. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, The Red King said:

So were we making the playoffs with Peterman or Webb? Fact is Tyrod came back in after 'the half' and led us to a road win against KC and the only team we lost to the rest of the year was the Pats*. The other duo did get us a blizzard win against Jacoby Brissett and his 69 yards passing though, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 87168 said:

if that helps you sleep.

still amazes me how this fan base treated TT. 

Exhibit "A", the NO game.  Exhibit "B", the CAR game.  And the best evidence of all, exhibit "C", the JAX game...a game we still had a chance to win because our D held them to 10 points.

Yes, Tyrod was part of the reason, but he was in no way, shape or form "the quarterback that saved the season".  Not even close.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am pegging the Browns to be between 4-6 wins, I am also pegging the Bills to be between 5-7 wins. The Bills regression is more so due to the massive dead cap they have had to eat and the trade ups for Allen and Edumonds eating away a lot of draft capital leaving other areas of the roster compromised. That's not to say that the moves made weren't the right ones long term, but rather just that playing for the long term was the better move than trying to win in 2018 at all costs. 

As for the Browns they added a lot of talent to both sides of the ball and they finally settled down their QB situation both in the short term with Tyrod and longer term with Baker. But they still seem like they are a mess off the field. The coaching isn't where it needs to be and the organization isn't where it needs to be overall. I think that if the Browns could find a good coach they could be in a good place longer term as they have a ton of cap space and a foundation of good young talent plus all of their future draft picks. But the trust in the Browns ability to improve as an organization remains questionable at best.