Trent Murphy - Should we be worried?

wppete

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yes, this was a high risk- high reward signing and so far the risk isn't paying off. 

Hopefully the emergence of Shaq in his 3rd season will be a safeguard if Murphy can't perform to the level of the contract he was signed to. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 4

Not really worried because I've never expected too much. I liked the signing in a "best case scenario" mindset, but am not surprised by his injury.

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yes, this was a high risk- high reward signing and so far the risk isn't paying off. 

What was the high risk?

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hopefully the emergence of Shaq in his 3rd season will be a safeguard if Murphy can't perform to the level of the contract he was signed to. 

Agreed. I'm ok with Murphy not panning out this season if Shaq actually turns into a real player.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not really worried because I've never expected too much. I liked the signing in a "best case scenario" mindset, but am not surprised by his injury.

What was the high risk?

Giving him a lot of cash ? coming off a major injury ?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

What was the high risk?

Major injury history along with PED suspension.  Additionally, he's only had one season of production. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...if I remember correctly, kid got some pretty high marks in TC.....not sure, but perhaps noted as "most improved"?...........

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What was the high risk?

$$$ We paid a ton of money to an injured player based on limited productivity. 

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if I remember correctly, kid got some pretty high marks in TC.....not sure, but perhaps noted as "most improved"?...........

By consensus, he's done well in camp and he showed well in the 1st preseason game. He needs to sustain the effort and production. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Major injury history along with PED suspension.  Additionally, he's only had one season of production. 

...so other than that, he's fine, right??......few minor details..........

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

By consensus, he's done well in camp and he showed well in the 1st preseason game. He needs to sustain the effort and production. 

...absolutely.....at least it seems like his "last chance wake up call" is working.....

5 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

It's okay to wait for the regular season before suggesting that someone might be on the of the worst FA signings of all time.

No. You must declare now! Before you know. That way, on the incredibly easy chance that you were correct in predicting a particular failure in the NFL, you can be one of the first to tell everyone "I told you so," and there is no greater thing you can do on a sports team message board than declare to everyone "I told you so."

Seriously. Nothing better.

Okay. A fried bologna sandwich is better. But then saying "I told you so."

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Mack and/or Donald if, IF on the market will command Von Miller++ type money.......and my hunch is that McBeane would not pull the trigger on those type of numbers.....maybe it's just me, but McBeane seems to take gambles on guys coming off injuries like Murphy, Davis, etc......hope it works out...

Agreed on their cost.

Beane has been taking lower cost gambles on injury return players because we had no cap room and had a bunch of dead money.

We have a ton of room next year and I'm sure he'd have no problem going for a big guy like Mack or Donald if they were available.

Look what he spent on Star.

16 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Giving him a lot of cash ? coming off a major injury ?

A lot of cash to you and I but not in the NFL

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A major risk would mean we made a significant investment.

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

$$$ We paid a ton of money to an injured player based on limited productivity. 

A ton? His cap hit is less than $5M this year, and dead money less than $4M as of next year. It aint our money, its Terry's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A lot of cash to you and I but not in the NFL

A major risk would mean we made a significant investment.

A ton? His cap hit is less than $5M this year, and dead money less than $4M as of next year. It aint our money, its Terry's.

Significant for this season at least although they do have an escape hatch thereafter. 

13 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed on their cost.

Beane has been taking lower cost gambles on injury return players because we had no cap room and had a bunch of dead money.

We have a ton of room next year and I'm sure he'd have no problem going for a big guy like Mack or Donald if they were available.

Look what he spent on Star.

GOOD point and I apologize for the oversight......with Murphy, would you categorize $10+ mil guaranteed as a lower cost gamble, especially with his ACL AND PED suspension?....now with the nagging groin injury, we may get zero return on the gamble...

• Like (+1) 1