Trent Murphy - Should we be worried?

wppete

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Should Beane have drafted Mahomes from Carolina?  LMK  :flirt:

Yeah, getting a 2nd for Sammy was so dumb.  They should have just let him walk the following year for nothing...  No way he was re-signing, and he's still missing games with his cronic feet.

This is based on what?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is based on what?

My opinion.  

It was clear to me that beyond franchising him, Sammy was going to price himself out of Buffalo.

Then, the team that gave up Gaines and a 2nd round pick for him, let him walk the very next year. Now he his missing multiple games with more foot issues.

The Sammy trade is an odd thing to criticize Beane for at this point.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Should Beane have drafted Mahomes from Carolina?  LMK  :flirt:

Yeah, getting a 2nd for Sammy was so dumb.  They should have just let him walk the following year for nothing...  No way he was re-signing, and he's still missing games with his cronic feet.

Never said Mahomes was anything to do with Beane..........just pointing out the stale nature of that baseless catch-all "dint wanna' be here" excuse that's been used for years.........meaning used for every garbage regime that preceded McBeane.

They wasted most of the capital they got for Watkins on Kelvin Benjamin............AND subsequently they haven't been able to pass the ball for 2 years...........the Watkins decision is also bigger than Beane.........McDermott made the bad call on not picking up his option which added pressure.

Bottom line...........HUGE.......and I mean HUUUUUUUGE net negative on the pro personnel side of the job for Beane.     The draft?   Remains to be seen.   I still like the Allen and Edmunds picks but we are most definitely grading them on a curve because they've put more bad than good on tape so far.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bottom line...........HUGE.......and I mean HUUUUUUUGE net negative on the pro personnel side of the job for Beane.     The draft?   Remains to be seen.   I still like the Allen and Edmunds picks but we are most definitely grading them on a curve because they've put more bad than good on tape so far.

I'd agree that pro personnel has been a net negative.  The KB situation is a disaster and Murphy hasn't worked out.  But I disagree that Star has been bad.  And McKenzie has provided a spark.  Grabbing Gaines in the Sammy deal worked out last year as well.

24 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'd agree that pro personnel has been a net negative.  The KB situation is a disaster and Murphy hasn't worked out.  But I disagree that Star has been bad.  And McKenzie has provided a spark.  Grabbing Gaines in the Sammy deal worked out last year as well.

The amount of bad decisions wrt pro personnel......from letting FA's walk to trades is borderline staggering in a league where you really should be 50/50 without even trying.

They've been *somewhat* competitive since the Dareus/KB moves.........but they've done that in spite of the moves...........8-13 is bad but they could easily have been worse.

Lotulelei is the best they did in FA last offseason and he has been pretty lousy for $10M.     There was a little narrative starting early in the season about him playing well but he's not been good.    He arrived with a rep for being in decline and he's probably declined more this year than ever.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1)  #2 CB is the weakest position on the defense...........and Wallace hasn't looked like an answer...........that Vontae signing though!

2)  They were 5-2 with Dareus and he was making plays...........8-13 since and Star has not been good

3)  He said he did............and after the trade he said he'd be willing to come back...........that whole "he didn't want to be here" shtick is always funny though, thanks.?  Did Mahomes not want to be here?  LMK:flirt:

4)  Ragnuts was a bad pick to start with

Beane has been incomplete/JAG as a GM thus far..........on paper clearly not "good"........but also not terrible because we don't know the results of Allen and Edmunds.

Don't confuse the defensive ranking with Beane's work........McD has done a good job coaching up the defense with little help from Beane's personnel magic.

So I'll ask you this, is Beane incompetent?

Follow-up to the CB situation. Should we have kept EJ Gaines?

Edited by Mark Vader

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1)  #2 CB is the weakest position on the defense...........and Wallace hasn't looked like an answer...........that Vontae signing though!

2)  They were 5-2 with Dareus and he was making plays...........8-13 since and Star has not been good

3)  He said he did............and after the trade he said he'd be willing to come back...........that whole "he didn't want to be here" shtick is always funny though, thanks.?  Did Mahomes not want to be here?  LMK:flirt:

4)  Ragnuts was a bad pick to start with

Beane has been incomplete/JAG as a GM thus far..........on paper clearly not "good"........but also not terrible because we don't know the results of Allen and Edmunds.

Don't confuse the defensive ranking with Beane's work........McD has done a good job coaching up the defense with little help from Beane's personnel magic.

The GM provides the coach with material to work with.  You can't conveniently pooh-pooh the Bills being #1 in pass defense and then say "well, #2 CB is bad..."  You also can't talk about the Bills being 8-13 and ignore the Jags being 3-8 this season with Dareus, without being disingenuous knowing it's offense on both teams that is holding them back.

As for Watkins, he's proven to not be a #1 WR.  There is no other way to explain this to you.  I'd be pissed right now if the Bills signed him to a $16M/year contract. 

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So I'll ask you this, is Beane incompetent?

Follow-up to the CB situation. Should we have kept EJ Gaines?

Beane's competence is TBD............but for sure he hasn't pulled a "Hughes for Sheppard" or Lorax or Zach Brown or Incognito out of his hat..........and the guy that did that is considered to have been incompetent.

And I'm not praising Whaley............the point is that history is not kind unless you do A LOT of good work.............and Beane's work in pro personnel has been anemic at best.

I think they've drafted good players(with McD as de facto GM and with Beane) the past two years...........but I also think they hit a two year stretch of good fortune wrt QB's in the draft  that's unprecedented in Bills history.........first they had Mahomes/Watson fall into their lap and then they had a 1st round with 5 legit franchise QB candidates!   

Really comes down to Allen..........if he's great it will buy a lot of time for Beane to do better wrt free agency/pro personnel.  

EJ Gaines.........I would have liked to see him re-signed but I understood why they did not.  

On 11/4/2018 at 9:18 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Another bad signing by Beane....Washington didn't want him for a reason,his knee is glass.How much more money is being spent on Star louistoleabelly? Beane made some very poor judgements last spring.

...McBeane seems to be willing to gamble on players coming off injury....a//k/a "Halftime Davis".....yet Sammy and Glenn were dumped coming off injury (Sammy perhaps because of $13 mil 5th year option as well; OL was hardly solidified making Glenn trade bait to move up IMO).....more puzzling is the Murphy signing with a PED suspension.....

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane's competence is TBD............but for sure he hasn't pulled a "Hughes for Sheppard" or Lorax or Zach Brown or Incognito out of his hat..........and the guy that did that is considered to have been incompetent.

And I'm not praising Whaley............the point is that history is not kind unless you do A LOT of good work.............and Beane's work in pro personnel has been anemic at best.

I think they've drafted good players(with McD as de facto GM and with Beane) the past two years...........but I also think they hit a two year stretch of good fortune wrt QB's in the draft  that's unprecedented in Bills history.........first they had Mahomes/Watson fall into their lap and then they had a 1st round with 5 legit franchise QB candidates!   

Really comes down to Allen..........if he's great it will buy a lot of time for Beane to do better wrt free agency/pro personnel.  

EJ Gaines.........I would have liked to see him re-signed but I understood why they did not.  

So you don't think Beane should be fired?

As for your earlier comment about Vontae Davis.....No one saw that coming. I'm not blaming Beane for that.

38 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So you don't think Beane should be fired?

As for your earlier comment about Vontae Davis.....No one saw that coming. I'm not blaming Beane for that.

No one saw a 30 year old CB not coming back to form after a torn achilles?   Zat right?  Hmmph.:rolleyes:

DC Leslie Frazier on Murphy:

Trent Murphy is still not 100 percent healthy. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said as much Monday when explaining why Shaq Lawson saw the majority of the reps at that spot.

“Trent is not quite where we’d like him to be physically,” Frazier said. “He’s getting there, he’s very close. The first game back was last week against Jacksonville, so we kind of had him on a pitch count, watching him in reps and seeing how he responds. We tried some of those reps yesterday to get him some more opportunities, and we’ll do the same thing again. He’s not quite 100 percent, but he’s close to being 100 percent. What we don’t want to see is a setback, because we really want him to stay on the field and get in a rhythm. If that happens, he’ll continue to get better.”