Trent Murphy - Should we be worried?

wppete

We can just draft his replacement.

DE  Zach Allen 6' 5" 285  Boston College

"What’s most exciting about Allen is how physical and strong he is at the point of attack. Not easily moved out of his gap, Allen does well to dictate reps with aggressive hand technique and a stout anchor as he plays through blocks. He offers sharp mental processing skills in his ability to diagnose plays and seamlessly disposes of blockers in pursuit. His executes with a relentless motor and high degree of urgency. "

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-zach-allen/

Trent Murphy needs to follow the TB12 Method. He does basically the opposite by powerlifting all off-season. He's shortening his muscles and losing flexibility thus damaging his body. Lorenzo Alexander does Pilates and I don't think any one of us would call him a sissy because he doesn't deadlift cars in a parking lot like Murphy. 

Murphy works out at a gym where the owner has a broken back, no bicep muscles because they have torn off, and has basically destroyed his body. That should have been his first clue.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I see.....so if a player plays one year for another team and gets injured.....and he misses a couple of games in the 1st year with OUR team....that player should automatically be dismissed?  Injuries happen.

Like I said...I will wait until the end of the season and look at his play for us as a whole.

Judging from your other recent posts, it seems you'll just defend & excuse anyone & everything related to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Trent Murphy needs to follow the TB12 Method. He does basically the opposite by powerlifting all off-season. He's shortening his muscles and losing flexibility thus damaging his body. Lorenzo Alexander does Pilates and I don't think any one of us would call him a sissy because he doesn't deadlift cars in a parking lot like Murphy. 

Murphy works out at a gym where the owner has a broken back, no bicep muscles because they have torn off, and has basically destroyed his body. That should have been his first clue.

Interesting.  Do you happen to have a link or source for this?  I'm curious to learn more

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting.  Do you happen to have a link or source for this?  I'm curious to learn more

He works out at Westside Barbell during the off-season where everyone does roids and then tries to squat 1000 pounds until their knees shred in half and they can't walk. It's no wonder he's always injured. I'm sure there's multiple articles on him working out there but you will learn more about it by looking up Westside Barbell and the owner Louie Simmons.

24 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

He works out at Westside Barbell during the off-season where everyone does roids and then tries to squat 1000 pounds until their knees shred in half and they can't walk. It's no wonder he's always injured. I'm sure there's multiple articles on him working out there but you will learn more about it by looking up Westside Barbell and the owner Louie Simmons.

At first I was like the ***** this dude talking about. I did some googling, perhaps their is some truth to it.

I also learned Trent Murphy is a year younger than me. Wow is that depressing, that guy looks old as.... I thought he was 31 or 32. His whole story as a pro is out there. 

10 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Another bad signing by Beane....Washington didn't want him for a reason,his knee is glass.How much more money is being spent on Star louistoleabelly? Beane made some very poor judgements last spring.

Our D isnt the problem.  I swear the only thing worse than our offense is some of the posters on this board.

1 hour ago, WRONG JOSH said:

OK, I found https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/why_trent_murphy_thinks_hes_an_ideal_fit_for_sean_mcdermotts_buffalo_bills.html so the Westside Barbell connection is indeed legit.

The guys on their webpage do not look like role models for the fitness a football player should emulate, and yep it talks about powerlifters and steroids.  I don't think you'll find this guy doing Pilates and Yoga to keep himself limber.

Legit gouge, thanks.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Our D isnt the problem.  I swear the only thing worse than our offense is some of the posters on this board.

Nah, the offense right now - it's legit worse.

The Trent Murphy signing didn't tie up a huge amount of money, but as an example of the players Beane brought in, I think it's legit to question his productivity and thus Beane's player evaluation choices. 

He's played an average of ~55% of the snaps in the 7 games where he's played, but when one looks under the hood, it's binary: the first game was 35 (bringing him in slow from a preseason injury) and so were the last 2 games (? battling the knee injury that kept him out the last 2 games?).  So it looks as though he's been fully available and good to go for 4, maybe 5, out of 9 games.  He's had 14 tackles and 3 sacks which is on-pace for a career low in tackles. 

I "get it" that tackles aren't the be-all end-all metric for a DE/OLB but they are an indicator as to whether he has returned to the 2016 form for which we signed him or his first two years "meh" with lack of availability to boot. 

• 4 weeks later...

Trent Murphy Q&A: On donating deer meat, Wolfgang Schmidt...

Trent-Murphy-e1543642806775.jpg

By Matthew Fairburn -  The Athletic

Trent Murphy Q&A: On donating deer meat, Wolfgang Schmidt and being ready to ‘showcase why they brought me here’

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Trent Murphy is sick of waiting.

The Buffalo Bills’ defensive end signed a three-year, $22.5 million contract over the offseason despite missing the entire 2017 season with a torn ACL. Murphy was ready for a fresh start, eager to prove his nine-sack 2016 season wasn’t a fluke.

But his debut season in Buffalo has been a frustrating one. He’s played in eight of the Bills’ 11 games and been on the field for just 40 percent of defensive snaps due to a series of nagging injuries. First, a groin injury held Murphy back during training camp. Then he injured his ankle early in the season before missing three games with a knee injury. He’s as eager as Bills fans are to put the injuries behind him and get back to producing.

After all, Murphy is the guy with a famed work ethic going back to his days growing up in Arizona. He spent the offseason at Westside Barbell, a world famous powerlifting gym. He’s not one to sit around and miss time. Last week, Murphy played 54 percent of the Bills’ snaps, his highest total since Week 5.

“He looked like he was gaining confidence as the game wore on, and this week will be another week for him to put another good week of practice out there and continue to gain some momentum with his health and with his confidence,” Sean McDermott said.

I talked to Murphy on Friday at his stall in the Bills’ locker room. We discussed his season but also his many interests and hobbies off the field …

On 11/5/2018 at 4:48 AM, Ittakestime said:

Add to the Beane's Bum list.

Remember that Beane was also the one that traded players like Watkins, Darby, Ragland, and Dareus.

Has the secondary suffered without Darby?

Was Dareus a "Process" guy?

Did Watkins really want to be here?

We'll never know about Ragland, but Beane is doing an overall good job.

24 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Has the secondary suffered without Darby?

Was Dareus a "Process" guy?

Did Watkins really want to be here?

We'll never know about Ragland, but Beane is doing an overall good job.

1)  #2 CB is the weakest position on the defense...........and Wallace hasn't looked like an answer...........that Vontae signing though!

2)  They were 5-2 with Dareus and he was making plays...........8-13 since and Star has not been good

3)  He said he did............and after the trade he said he'd be willing to come back...........that whole "he didn't want to be here" shtick is always funny though, thanks.?  Did Mahomes not want to be here?  LMK:flirt:

4)  Ragnuts was a bad pick to start with

Beane has been incomplete/JAG as a GM thus far..........on paper clearly not "good"........but also not terrible because we don't know the results of Allen and Edmunds.

Don't confuse the defensive ranking with Beane's work........McD has done a good job coaching up the defense with little help from Beane's personnel magic.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1)  #2 CB is the weakest position on the defense...........and Wallace hasn't looked like an answer...........that Vontae signing though!

2)  They were 5-2 with Dareus and he was making plays...........8-13 since and Star has not been good

3)  He said he did............and after the trade he said he'd be willing to come back...........that whole "he didn't want to be here" shtick is always funny though, thanks.?  Did Mahomes not want to be here?  LMK:flirt:

4)  Ragnuts was a bad pick to start with

Beane has been incomplete/JAG as a GM thus far..........on paper clearly not "good"........but also not terrible because we don't know the results of Allen and Edmunds.

Don't confuse the defensive ranking with Beane's work........McD has done a good job coaching up the defense with little help from Beane's personnel magic.

Should Beane have drafted Mahomes from Carolina?  LMK  :flirt:

Yeah, getting a 2nd for Sammy was so dumb.  They should have just let him walk the following year for nothing...  No way he was re-signing, and he's still missing games with his cronic feet.

• Thank you (+1) 1