I think real Bills fans do not care who wins QB battle

KingRex

First, please understand that particularly in the modern NFL QB is by far the most important position on any NFL team.

Second, please understand the Bills do have a substantial interest in having traded extra value to move up in the 1st round to draft wunderkind Josh Allen and his unique demographics and skillset there is a real interest in seeing him become our QB of the future whom Bills fans hope ultimately he will not only rival but surpass Jim Kelly as the living statement of what bit means to be a Buffalo Bill!

However, even conceding these two points and desperately hoping Allen is on the verge of his first 19-0 record leading our team, reality knows he is a work in progress and that while we hope he will exceed the rookie accomplishments of Dan Marino, real Bills fans with any connection to reality simply know that the credible goal for this year's team is to find a starting QB among these three who can win games this year and give Allen the time and incentive through competition to become our undisputed QB of the future.

I and quite frankly no one else knows for sure what the future holds for us at QB.

While I and I hope most Bills fans would love to see Allen win the job this preseason, the smart bet for a true Bills fan is that I really am not worried whether Allen, McCarron, or Peterman wins the battle this summer, my rooting is to see any of these three command the initial starting job with a performance that just wins baby right now and sets up Allen to become the maximum QB he can be for the Bills.

Right now at this too early stage in his career to make even a reasonable judgment about what that future will be it is a close call as to whether I am most surprised and pleased with Allen's successful first venture as a starter during garbage time leading our scrubs against their scrubs or by both Peterman and McCarron leading the team to production versus NC.

In terms of the current 3 way QB battle as a Bills fan I am simply happy to see 3 players credibly compete with each other for the starting QB job.

Though also as a true Bills fan somewhat grounded in the reality of the NFL, I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO WINS THE CURRENT QB BATTLE. 

I am primarily rooting for the unknowable that  all remain healthy.  If that statement is true Saturday morning I am pretty confident I will be one happy Bills fan!

My GUESS  is that right now:

A. Peterman has the best shot at producing results which make him the Bills starting QB in game 1 of this year.  In retrospect, he was one of the most ready to start immediately among the drafted QBs last year even despite his lowly and legit 5th round pick status.  He surprised last year in his immediate ability to lead and command respect of his teammates (something even legit HOFer Jim Kelly was incapable of doing until virtually half a decade into his pro career as one of the clear causes of our team earning the label as the Bickering Bills).  Peterman showed impressive shills and production last year even despite the fact that McD and his now fired OC (whatshisname) not only screwed up starting him as a 5th round pick(even the best player in the NFL needed to sit and learn the game for a year and still profited massively from being forced to start and get crucially backed up by non-other Drew (brain cramp) Bledsoe in his first SB winning campaign.

Our braintrust totally mismanaged NP's training by not only starting him before he was ready, but by announcing this early in the week before the game giving SD's DC and defenders a full week to plan and practice fooling the rookie NP with disguised coverages and blitzes.  I think we were just lucky to not see apparently NPs self confidence and his teammate's confidence in him suffer a fatal blow to his career.  (for this fan as impressed as I am with the overall first year team performance with McD as HC, he remains on probation with this fan as meaningless of what me and my fellow Bills fans think).  Firing last year's OC, hiring Daboli with his resume of being a part of successful teams at both the pro and college highest level, and the O result of his first pre-season game  {its just pre-season so far from determinative, but this Bills team won the first half (important for training purposes as this was our A & B units against their A & B units in a less real than normal game}).

It easily may not happen but my sense after wasting too much time (according to my wife) of several decades of NFL viewing NP is th smart bet to be our starting QB.

B. McCarron is quite impossible he is going to be our QB of the future and possible but still less than likely to even be our QB of the present.  He does in real fact bring limited but real experience as an NFL QB (a real thing).  I like him as a plan B for finding a starter now particularly since we have wunderkind Allen on the roster.  No intelligent person should depend or even demand or expect him to be our starting QB, but I like him as our plan B(-).

C.  Allen has tremendous physical tools and his first pro outing leading our Cs and Ds against their Cs and Ds was quite hopeful and positive, but my fan-GUESS is that if the Bills make the same training mismanagement mistake of starting NP before he is ready that this would be an even greater error than our poor use of Peterman.

Football logic suggests to me that though I root for Allen to win the stating QBG job immediately, in reality it is far more likely that if Allen is GIVEN the starting job this pre-season it more likely kills his development into the franchise QB we want.

In general though I really do not have a horse in the current QB battle because I am a Bills fan.  Amid quite a few unlikely possibilities, the best unlikely to occur possibility for a successful Bills future is that Peterman wins the current QB battle but Allen learns enough that he cannot be denied a starter'job around week 8!

i think people are more concerned with being right, or that "their guy" makes it, rather than the genera;l success of the team. never understood this level of investment, or disdain people begin to develop.

either way, it doesn't matter to me. this season will be an eye opener.

• Like (+1) 1

The "true/real (insert sports team) fan" phrase annoys the piss out of me. You either are a fan or aren't. How much time and emotion you want to invest is totally your choice. 

I'd replace true/real with 'rational' bills fans. After all, we don't see all the reps so we'll trust the coaching staff to pick the best guy for week one and the best time for Josh to go into the lineup. 

PS - I don't get how you can say that about Jim; he earned respect and command of the huddle almost immediately. It was evident from the get go how skilled he was and how much the team could continue to grow around him. Bickering Bills wasn't on him - it was the overall passion and energy of the team in an attempt to further right the ship, as well as the media jumping on the chance to see players getting animated as some sort of alleged argument 

• Like (+1) 2

This is not a QB battle.

Allen can out play Peterman and/or McCarron right now.   That may not be best for him,  because there's a lot of learning - so this is all about what's best for Allen.  Peterman and/or McCarron will help us do what's best for Allen and then their starting dreams will swiftly be taken away.  

• Like (+1) 2

TL;DR; This is my general feeling. "May the best man win". In my personal opinion the best man last week was Peterman (and I am NOT a Peterman fan).

I don't believe the order of starting QB's matters in training camp or in pre-season. I think they came into camp with a plan and this is it: This week I believe they will start McCarron first, then Allen and then Peterman with the threes. Short of someone bombing completely I believe week 3 will start Allen with the ones, Peterman with the 2's and McCarron with the 3's. Is this because of their play? No. It's hard to hold a QB competition till you have seen all 3 QB's with all three levels of competition and if they all keep playing well or better I believe you will see this. 

Then, at the end of week 3 they will have seen all 3 QB's at all three levels of competition and can make a decision going into week 4. I believe this is their plan and will only stray from it if one person either shines exceptionally or bombs horrendously. So far this has not happened. (Peterman came close if his last drive had turned into another TD instead of the unfortunate INT). 

If this is their thought process then I am fine with it. At the end they should put in who the best QB is NOW. They all may have different ceilings / floors but I don't care about next season, I care about this season. If Allen proves to be the best QB then play him. If not, then don't. Same for the other two. 

What I DO NOT want to see is a QB played due to "flashes" of talent and "ceiling" etc. I want results and I want them now and the losers can use the year to reflect on what they can do better next year. 

#myTwoCents

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m a bigger and more real Bills fan than you!!! How did we get to this point in society?  It’s ok to not see things exactly the same and still want the same thing in life.  

Personally, I think Allen should start on the bench.  The preseason is fool’s gold.  If Allen starts right away, imo, he is going to be set up to fail.  He is facing vanilla coverages against guys who won’t be playing or even be in the league.  You would set the bar too high and expectations would be rational.  See how the other guys do and then start him when those guys show they aren’t good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, KingRex said:

First, please understand that particularly in the modern NFL QB is by far the most important position on any NFL team.

Second, please understand the Bills do have a substantial interest in having traded extra value to move up in the 1st round to draft wunderkind Josh Allen and his unique demographics and skillset there is a real interest in seeing him become our QB of the future whom Bills fans hope ultimately he will not only rival but surpass Jim Kelly as the living statement of what bit means to be a Buffalo Bill!

However, even conceding these two points and desperately hoping Allen is on the verge of his first 19-0 record leading our team, reality knows he is a work in progress and that while we hope he will exceed the rookie accomplishments of Dan Marino, real Bills fans with any connection to reality simply know that the credible goal for this year's team is to find a starting QB among these three who can win games this year and give Allen the time and incentive through competition to become our undisputed QB of the future.

I and quite frankly no one else knows for sure what the future holds for us at QB.

While I and I hope most Bills fans would love to see Allen win the job this preseason, the smart bet for a true Bills fan is that I really am not worried whether Allen, McCarron, or Peterman wins the battle this summer, my rooting is to see any of these three command the initial starting job with a performance that just wins baby right now and sets up Allen to become the maximum QB he can be for the Bills.

Right now at this too early stage in his career to make even a reasonable judgment about what that future will be it is a close call as to whether I am most surprised and pleased with Allen's successful first venture as a starter during garbage time leading our scrubs against their scrubs or by both Peterman and McCarron leading the team to production versus NC.

In terms of the current 3 way QB battle as a Bills fan I am simply happy to see 3 players credibly compete with each other for the starting QB job.

Though also as a true Bills fan somewhat grounded in the reality of the NFL, I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO WINS THE CURRENT QB BATTLE. 

I am primarily rooting for the unknowable that  all remain healthy.  If that statement is true Saturday morning I am pretty confident I will be one happy Bills fan!

My GUESS  is that right now:

A. Peterman has the best shot at producing results which make him the Bills starting QB in game 1 of this year.  In retrospect, he was one of the most ready to start immediately among the drafted QBs last year even despite his lowly and legit 5th round pick status.  He surprised last year in his immediate ability to lead and command respect of his teammates (something even legit HOFer Jim Kelly was incapable of doing until virtually half a decade into his pro career as one of the clear causes of our team earning the label as the Bickering Bills).  Peterman showed impressive shills and production last year even despite the fact that McD and his now fired OC (whatshisname) not only screwed up starting him as a 5th round pick(even the best player in the NFL needed to sit and learn the game for a year and still profited massively from being forced to start and get crucially backed up by non-other Drew (brain cramp) Bledsoe in his first SB winning campaign.

Our braintrust totally mismanaged NP's training by not only starting him before he was ready, but by announcing this early in the week before the game giving SD's DC and defenders a full week to plan and practice fooling the rookie NP with disguised coverages and blitzes.  I think we were just lucky to not see apparently NPs self confidence and his teammate's confidence in him suffer a fatal blow to his career.  (for this fan as impressed as I am with the overall first year team performance with McD as HC, he remains on probation with this fan as meaningless of what me and my fellow Bills fans think).  Firing last year's OC, hiring Daboli with his resume of being a part of successful teams at both the pro and college highest level, and the O result of his first pre-season game  {its just pre-season so far from determinative, but this Bills team won the first half (important for training purposes as this was our A & B units against their A & B units in a less real than normal game}).

It easily may not happen but my sense after wasting too much time (according to my wife) of several decades of NFL viewing NP is th smart bet to be our starting QB.

B. McCarron is quite impossible he is going to be our QB of the future and possible but still less than likely to even be our QB of the present.  He does in real fact bring limited but real experience as an NFL QB (a real thing).  I like him as a plan B for finding a starter now particularly since we have wunderkind Allen on the roster.  No intelligent person should depend or even demand or expect him to be our starting QB, but I like him as our plan B(-).

C.  Allen has tremendous physical tools and his first pro outing leading our Cs and Ds against their Cs and Ds was quite hopeful and positive, but my fan-GUESS is that if the Bills make the same training mismanagement mistake of starting NP before he is ready that this would be an even greater error than our poor use of Peterman.

Football logic suggests to me that though I root for Allen to win the stating QBG job immediately, in reality it is far more likely that if Allen is GIVEN the starting job this pre-season it more likely kills his development into the franchise QB we want.

In general though I really do not have a horse in the current QB battle because I am a Bills fan.  Amid quite a few unlikely possibilities, the best unlikely to occur possibility for a successful Bills future is that Peterman wins the current QB battle but Allen learns enough that he cannot be denied a starter'job around week 8!

I had no idea the QB position was by far the most important position on a modern NFL football team or that the Bills have substantial interest in the QB position after trading extra value to be in a position to draft a QB. Who knew!? I really need to pay more attention to this stuff. Thanks for educating me on what a REAL Bills fan is. Imagine my dismay to learn all these years I had it all wrong and YOU being the all knowing individual that you are, have known what a REAL Bills fan is all along and are now kind enough to fill us all in. Thank you for sharing this information. I strive to become a REAL Bills fan one day like you. In the meantime, I'll just hope and pray that I can find a spare week to finish reading your very lengthy explanation of why I shouldn't care. To use the words of a former NFL wide receiver....Child Please! (I'm sure some on here will know what the underlying meaning of that phrase is)

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m a bigger and more real Bills fan than you!!! How did we get to this point in society?  It’s ok to not see things exactly the same and still want the same thing in life.  

Personally, I think Allen should start on the bench.  The preseason is fool’s gold.  If Allen starts right away, imo, he is going to be set up to fail.  He is facing vanilla coverages against guys who won’t be playing or even be in the league.  You would set the bar too high and expectations would be rational.  See how the other guys do and then start him when those guys show they aren’t good enough.

"If I want your opinion I'll give it to you!" :)

Still though, pre-season is the only measuring stick we have. So whoevers play is the best, start them. That's my opinion :).