A pleasant surprise? The misfit toys at the WR position.

Tipster19

It has been well chronicled about the Bills being weak at the WR position but they are quietly assembling quite a collection of quality WRs imo. 2 former 1st riders, a high 2nd rder and a nice blend of veterans with a sprinkle of some young, unproven players as well. 

The Panthers weren’t enarmored with Benjamin and dealt him quite reasonably to us while the Browns just about gave us Coleman. I don’t have a lot of trust and belief in Zay but he was a high 2nd rd pick for us and he has a lot to prove this year. Streater and Holmes were once Raiders and are now once again teammates againon the complete opposite side of the country. Kerley is a well seasoned vet as well. None of them, other than Zay, were wanted enough by their original team(s) and were relinquished. All of them resemble the misfit toys, not really wanted by the masses and having no place to go. I hope that fortifies them as a group and that they play with a chip on their shoulders and they feel like they have something to prove.

Reilly reminds me of a more tougher Hogan and there has got to be at least 1 player out of the Dupre, Proehl, McCloud, Phillips and Foster mix as well.

Anyways, what has been perceived as a weakness for us could very well be a pleasant surprise to many.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel better now we have Coleman. My faith in the young guys is low at this stage but Benjamin, Kerley, Coleman and hopefully a turn around from Zay that is at least a serviceable group. 

Agreed, and who can't really like the emergence of Ray Ray thus far as well. Hopefully they turn out to be a good, solid group.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

No Sreater love?

and who is this Lee cat?  Great catch last week.

i am pleasantly surprised.

Benjamin, Holmes, Streeter, Coleman, and Kerley sounds like a real unit. Ray Ray looked great too.

Khairi Lee is a tight end. Mainly a blocking TE and has a shot to make the team in that role but Daboll seems to think he can get out and catch balls too. 

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

All depends on KB’s knees

^^^^This...

This group can only be thought as marginally acceptable if KB stays on the field. No other WR will draw the same attention and allow others to work freely due to their limitations.

Pretty sure this will be one of the main position priorities next season in FA or the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Khairi Lee is a tight end. Mainly a blocking TE and has a shot to make the team in that role but Daboll seems to think he can get out and catch balls too. 

Made a great grab for Allen just before the TD last week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Made a great grab for Allen just before the TD last week.

He did.  I think it is he who is pushing O'Leary out. 

EDIT: which leaves Croom v Logan for the last spot I reckon. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Two perceived areas of great weakness heading into training camp -- OL and WR -- may turn out to be more than serviceable.  If that happens it is a testament to Beane's roster-building prowess and the staff's coaching.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

It was a great catch.

Ill advised throw like the 4th down toss, but great catch nonetheless.

:lol: it was anything but "ill advised" -- it was a perfect pass thrown where only Lee could make a play on the ball.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

:lol: it was anything but "ill advised" -- it was a perfect pass thrown where only Lee could make a play on the ball.

I guess it was perfect because Lee caught it. But,..... If rolling out and falling backwards throwing off your back foot constitutes "perfect", so be it. 

13 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It was a great catch.

Ill advised throw like the 4th down toss, but great catch nonetheless.

C'mon.  We can't bash Tyrod for refusing to throw to a reciever unless they're open by a mile...then get upset at Allen for throwing to a reciever that wasn't open by a mile...

• Like (+1) 5

On 8/17/2018 at 8:40 AM, The Red King said:

C'mon.  We can't bash Tyrod for refusing to throw to a reciever unless they're open by a mile...then get upset at Allen for throwing to a reciever that wasn't open by a mile...

I wasn't upset. it was a great throw that truly shows off the kids strength and arm talent.

Now that I think about it, it was 2nd and 10 down 11 points in the 4th with 1:45 on the clock so ill advised would be the wrong term. You gotta take chances at that point

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

^^^^This...

This group can only be thought as marginally acceptable if KB stays on the field. No other WR will draw the same attention and allow others to work freely due to their limitations.

Pretty sure this will be one of the main position priorities next season in FA or the draft.

I hope it's a priority! Not even so sure about Kelvin. Although he is far and away our best.. depends on how much he wants to back his cam trash up

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I hope it's a priority! Not even so sure about Kelvin. Although he is far and away our best.. depends on how much he wants to back his cam trash up

Can't help but think he's going to give it his best considering its a contract year for him.