Savannah, GA

That's No Moon

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I work for a paper company and in the mills all the time.  I actually don't mind the smell anymore...you just get used to it.

When buying property that your family is going to live in,  probably bad advice to choose an option that had a horrible smell that I could "get used to."

And it is horrible.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

When buying property that your family is going to live in,  probably bad advice to choose an option that had a horrible smell that I could "get used to."

And it is horrible.

I would assume the property values are really low in those areas.  That's why paper mills our usually in rural areas.

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

It's "night on a park bench" worthy.

Or at least it was in the early 90s

I met my wife while living in Hilton Head, about 45 minutes away. The St Patricks Day thing had a national rugby tournament attached to it. There were teams from like 30-40 states. It was INSANE. My Old Boys team from college played in the tournament (and actually won it that year!) so I invited my then fiancé  to join me as I went to visits the gang. It was a test! I told her, these are my guys, so you can decide now if you want to go through with this whole marriage thing. We’ve been married over 3 decades now. 

After leaving Hilton Head in ‘93 I talked trash about Savannah for many years. Back then we had to do our major shopping there. Every morning I’d turn on the TV and listen about all the crime that took place over night. There were only 2 decent blocks along the river, and beyond that was VERY sketchy. 

We went back a few years ago and I had to eat some crow. They’ve done a fabulous job there. The historic district is greatly expanded and it’s terrific. Great restaurants, very quaint and friendly. I can’t help with where to live specifically, but I’d love to get back there. 

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

powerful stank 

The paper mill is far worse than the marsh at low tide (I actually like that smell ?). 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Outside chance the family is going to have to relocate to Savannah, GA for work.  Anybody know anywhere nice with good schools?  The further west of Savannah out I-16 the better.

Savannah is a quaint historical town with a beautiful city center.  One of the few bright spots in the American South in my opinion.

I can think of worse places to relocate to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Savannah is a quaint historical town with a beautiful city center.  One of the few bright spots in the American South in my opinion.

I can think of worse places to relocate to.

We were actually last there a week or two after being in New Orleans. As I walked around I texted a buddy and told him Savannah was a cleaner version without the music, but you also avoided the scent of urine and vomit everywhere you walked. 

The squares that are everywhere downtown are very nice. The bars and restaurants encourage you to take a roadie as you walk around, which is fine in the district. Locals tell me you still have to be careful if you drift out of the historic district, but every town has it’s hood. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

We were actually last there a week or two after being in New Orleans. As I walked around I texted a buddy and told him Savannah was a cleaner version without the music, but you also avoided the scent of urine and vomit everywhere you walked. 

The squares that are everywhere downtown are very nice. The bars and restaurants encourage you to take a roadie as you walk around, which is fine in the district. Locals tell me you still have to be careful if you drift out of the historic district, but every town has it’s hood. 

There used to be a really seedy (and totally awesome) techno club near SCAD that I went to on the rare occasions I was stateside. I loved that town, and loved being there but staying there after finishing my enlistment wasn't an option.

Edit:

Also..two words: Wet Willie's.

Edited by joesixpack

On 8/17/2018 at 2:54 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I work for a paper company and in the mills all the time.  I actually don't mind the smell anymore...you just get used to it.

That's what all the poor people say, too. 

"Cant even smell it anymore!" 

My honest advice is to settle between Bluffton and Savannah on the SC side of the line. Take the cheaper cost of living and taxes, buy someplace with land, buy a boat, and send your kid to private school. There are alot of good ones in that area, and I've heard that land is still cheap. Within 30 mins, you can get to Beaufort, Hilton Head, Savannah and multiple shore points. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Get on google maps and do some scouting.    That's how i found the next place I want to live.  Oh and Savannah is lowlands, it's gonna smell like low tide, a lot.    Just be aware going in, there are also paper mills there and in Jacksonville.  So it does stink.   

But beautiful little vacation town, lots of weddings there and during St Patrick's day they really do it up right.   The outlet by I95 is always jam up with people.   and you get to see Tundra Mountain (little inside joke between me and my son when we go on hunting trips to SC we go through there, there is a Toyota dealership and they literally have tundra mountain there)

I will second the St Patrick's day thought.  Went down there in 1997 for Paddies weekend, great time had by all.  What a party they threw.  It was fantastic.