Advice Needed re: Managerial Dilemma at Work

Fadingpain

Either a bucket your you barf into the bath tub.   I actually keep little buckets in every bathroom under the sink.   We used to use them to bath the kids when they were little.   But just never took them out.

I would use the trash can also in the event of such an emergency, just take out the trash bag and let it go, then hose it out after.  

I have had food poisoning and for me, after about 2 hours, most of it's out and you're just dry heaving until your head wants to explode.  That's the worst. 

26 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If you've never had food poisoning affecting both ends at the same time, pray you never do. I did once, it was a living hell.

Oh my.  Never had it happen.  But I guess it becomes a vicious circle... Getting worse and worse.  The smell of sh*t, puke, building to a crescendo and then the never ending dry heaves...  Holy !@#$... I dread that day on earth just kill me.

Kinda like Chunk fesses  up!

I hope your buddy knew enough about what she was doing so he could step in and speak intelligently about it in her absence.

Otherwise, my experience has taught me the more people on the call, the less important it is, so if it was really 30 people, most of them probably didn't need to be there and were thrilled to have the meeting cut short.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It sounds to me like mistake #1 was not starting the meeting by ensuring that anyone expected to contribute was not "present".  That's on your bud 100%. Attempts could have been made to loop her in or failing that, mea culpas and a promise to follow up appropriately with the missed info she was expected to provide.

As to Linda, on the face of it "some type of food poisoning incident" is way too little to decide on her professionalism. She apparently tried to let your guy know (last minute) she couldn't make it. That's a good sign. Whether the food poisoning was legit or she should have said something sooner is something your guy needs to figure out. In the end he needs to be able to trust his employees.  

That note on checking who is present is extremely good advice.  In all the phone meetings I have ever been a participant in, this was common practice, especially since phone meetings start with everyone logging in.   A meeting with 30 people I would have thought he would have written down all the participants as they logged in, especially if he was a key participant.  

I would be willing to bet he does so in all future phone meetings.

Fadingpain- ask your bud if he's any good at math. If he is, break it down for him like I would: you have a situation wherein A: Linda, a supposedly 'good' worker, suffers a health issue (an uncommonly bad one, which causes her to alter her normally responsible behavior and not alert your friend to her status) which by all accounts is an unlikely occurrence (I'm giving it a value of <1%, which seems high in all honesty if you divide the number of times/year a person might suffer from such a health issue by 365), and B: it happens on the same day your friend has given her a task to complete which directly affects his ability to properly administer a presentation (seems like another fairly uncommon situation, if we control for the amount of presentations your friend does per year and then factor in how many of those depend upon Linda, I'm not sure the value here but it seems likely given he reached out to you for advice this is another fairly unique event; say 10 presentations/year of which Linda is responsible for 1 of them)...the likelihood that both these events occurred on the same day at roughly the same time is VERY small, and the more probably explanation is that Linda is not as good a worker as your friend believes her to be.

33 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

That note on checking who is present is extremely good advice.  In all the phone meetings I have ever been a participant in, this was common practice, especially since phone meetings start with everyone logging in.   A meeting with 30 people I would have thought he would have written down all the participants as they logged in, especially if he was a key participant.  

I would be willing to bet he does so in all future phone meetings.

I bet in the future all the information needed will be forwarded to his email and printed prior to the meeting.  

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Cleverness helps. Hold a bucket, while sitting on the throne.

Had that just about a month ago. Had dinner with the wife and her friends at a small seafood place. The only thing we all at together was steamers as an app, all different dinners. I was the only be that got sick, but I still say I got the bad clam out of the dozen. 

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It's not a situation where she's faking it and doing something weird.

Apparently there were some witness to the scene in the ladies bathroom and it wasn't good.

It wasn't a vomiting problem.  It involved the other end of things.

Was it Red Lobster? I always get the ***** about an hour after eating there. 

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Had that just about a month ago. Had dinner with the wife and her friends at a small seafood place. The only thing we all at together was steamers as an app, all different dinners. I was the only be that got sick, but I still say I got the bad clam out of the dozen. 

Was it Red Lobster? I always get the ***** about an hour after eating there. 

Carrabbas

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

poor communication.   It's one of the most rampant problems at every business everywhere.   People don't communicate.  

Dealing with it right now at work, i send over some information I need our insurance department to do an update on so i can do my job and i get no response.   None whatsoever. Pisses me off to no end. Then when i do get a response an hour later there is a bunch of "You're making me drink, blah blah blah whine whine".

Around here the culture is make a huge fuss about everything and no one will bother you.  

Kill the entire department...isn't that what burned out office workers do these days? You should have became a Conservation Officer...

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Kill the entire department...isn't that what burned out office workers do these days? You should have became a Conservation Officer...

FWC officers get shot at regularly by poachers.    

I'll just write a strongly worded letter and drop it in the suggestion box.  maybe we could do some team building exercises to boost morale or something.   

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

FWC officers get shot at regularly by poachers.    

I'll just write a strongly worded letter and drop it in the suggestion box.  maybe we could do some team building exercises to boost morale or something.   

Think I'd probably just taker her out on the boat for a quick trip to the 1000 fathom. Best case scenario we work it all out and come home with some blood on the decks, and if it turns out after a few cold ones she was just slacking you can pretend she went overboard without a life preserver. IMO most of life's problems can be solved by going fishing.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I was going to guess Zion's Bank.  They were a serious group of !@#$-ups.

That fool of a boss sounds like a real winner.  He should have been hit in the face for that.  Hard.  With something odd and obscure, like a wombat.  I've had bosses like that, and I've decided I'll never work for another.  The aforementioned report, he was worried about being fired, and I told him "If they fire you for a health condition, I will quit on the spot, because that is some **** up with which I will not put."  I have spent too much of my career making myself miserable trying to satisfy high-motivation low-performing Stepford Managers whose only measurable skill is the ability to spell "MBA" to waste even one more minute with another one.

When I left FU (as I like to call them), I moved to Florida and was deciding between 2-3 banks. In one interview I was asked some question about work ethic. I had a nice little answer, and toward the end wove in the child’s brain surgery vs work comment of “my job has always come first”. She knew an interview is a two way process, and she gave me the answer that made my decision. She said “it shouldn’t even come in second, should it?” I’m all about hard work,  but your job is what you do, not who you are. 

I ate some undercooked chicken as part of a sandwich I got at a Ruby Tuesday's before going to an Alanis Morissette concert (Tori Amos opened).  I was fine throughout the concert, but when I got home, I puked my brains out.  Nothing else ... just the puke.  I consider myself lucky.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I ate some undercooked chicken as part of a sandwich I got at a Ruby Tuesday's before going to an Alanis Morissette concert (Tori Amos opened).  I was fine throughout the concert, but when I got home, I puked my brains out.  Nothing else ... just the puke.  I consider myself lucky.

I've heard that's a fairly common reaction to Alanis Morissette concerts. 

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I've heard that's a fairly common reaction to Alanis Morissette concerts. 

12 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

You were on thin ice there.....Tori Amos was the shizzzzz back in the day.    

They were both quite phenomenal, actually.

And hot.

Words of advice:

1.  Don’t go to Red Lobster

2.  If you go to Red Lobster, don’t order the linguini with shrimp

3.  If you get the linguini with shrimp, don’t take leftovers home

4.  If you take leftover linguini with shrimp home, DON’T eat it the next day