We Learn A Lot About Allen When He Plays the Browns

Shaw66

It does seem like a way to artificially create some urgency and pressure for a preseason contest.  Those are the 2 things good QBs do best.  With a lot on the line play calm inside yourself and rise to the occasion.  With Coleman instead of Foster running under his deep ball he could still the show tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hotseat????

It's preseason. If he's good, it won't matter because it's preseason. If he's bad,  it won't matter because it's preseason.

I agree with Shaw.  You are right in that his roster spot is not in jeopardy, but even though he doesn't tak in such terms, he's doing whatever he can to start sooner rather than later.  He' will not be very happy with himself if he does poorly, soI'm pretty sure he feels pressure in that sense.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

We don’t know whether his chance to start depends on tomorrow’s game. 

You and Duffy said the same thing.   Maybe you're right.

But the third preseason game historically has been the dress rehearsal, and the fourth game the starters sit and the marginal players are fighting for spots.   If the Bills follow that pattern, the guy who starts the third preseason game IS the starter, and he'll get all or most of the first team reps in practice next week.   If Allen isn't getting the first team reps, I think there's virtually no chance he starts week one.  

And if you aren't starting week one, you need some peculiar things to happen to get the starting call later in the season.

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It does seem like a way to artificially create some urgency and pressure for a preseason contest.  Those are the 2 things good QBs do best.  With a lot on the line play calm inside yourself and rise to the occasion.  With Coleman instead of Foster running under his deep ball he could still the show tomorrow night.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.   

Tomorrow is a BIG game for him. 

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You and Duffy said the same thing.   Maybe you're right.

But the third preseason game historically has been the dress rehearsal, and the fourth game the starters sit and the marginal players are fighting for spots.   If the Bills follow that pattern, the guy who starts the third preseason game IS the starter, and he'll get all or most of the first team reps in practice next week.   If Allen isn't getting the first team reps, I think there's virtually no chance he starts week one.  

And if you aren't starting week one, you need some peculiar things to happen to get the starting call later in the season.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.   

Tomorrow is a BIG game for him. 

Agree.  He is the darkhorse to start week 1 imo.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As I said, it means A LOT to him.   His chance to start this season depends on his play tomorrow night.  

It really doesn't.  He's competing gains two nobodies on the roster and he's a top 10 first round picks.

This coaching staff is dying to start him ASAP over Come Sack Me Mccarran and Come Pick Me Peterman.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

:lol:

so are the fans

Can you imagine?

"Yeah, Bills fans, we are going to have a 5 or 6 win season with Mccarran..........so Josh Allen can 'learn' behind that".

Let's see Kim sell that on a T-shirt.  She will need to rehire Russ to pull that sales miracle off on the fans.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can you imagine?

"Yeah, Bills fans, we are going to have a 5 or 6 win season with Mccarran..........so Josh Allen can 'learn' behind that".

Let's see Kim sell that on a T-shirt.  She will need to rehire Russ to pull that sales miracle to the fans.

Right. The real question is which QB gets traded for a 2020 7th round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FearLess Price said:

Right. The real question is which QB gets traded for a 2020 7th round pick.

Depends on how they perform in the preseason.

They are both on the hot seat to get the Bills that draft pick...may the best man lose!

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As I said, it means A LOT to him.   His chance to start this season depends on his play tomorrow night.  

I agree with your op..

He can def lose any chance of starting , as I'm sure they'll want a starter by game 3 . 

It's a big game for him for sure, should be a hyped crowd too..

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’d say definitely not hot seat. But the rest I agree with. 

They havent announced a starter yet for tomorrow. and deep down I’m really hoping it’s allen for tomorrow and give him a chance to look incredible or just lose the job outright for himself for now. 

it would be great to see josh show up tyrod, but then again it would be nice to see all 3 of them do it.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

i think Allen starts against the Browns.

the presummed starter traditionally starts the third pre-season game. the only way to know if he is in any way ready at all, he has to play with the 1's in this game. this is his chance to show what hes got and where he stands with his curve.

Exactly this 

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

it would be great to see josh show up tyrod, but then again it would be nice to see all 3 of them do it.

My money would be in the fact that they all do better than BrokeRod. Unless your talking about rushing yards, in that case He’ll beat out McCarron. 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What don't we know?   You think he doesn't care if he's the starter this season?

Or do you think whether he's the starter this season DOESN'T depend on how he plays tomorrow night?

I think both points are beyond doubt.  

I don't know does he?  Whether he starts this season or not doesn't change the amount of money he'll earn.   I realize these are all very high ego types of people, but Allen does seem pretty well grounded.  Look at the grave yard of NFL QB's over the years who started as rookies and never did well.  You'll always wonder would they have benefited from sitting a year.  Not to say that he hasn't come to the conclusion that in the long run he'd be better off sitting and watching for a year.

And yes if he plays poorly tomorrow night, then he likely wouldn't have a chance to start, but even with a good performance unless the other two look terrible or get hurt, he still may not start. I'm sure too that McD remembers what happened last year with Petermann so  likely would be more cautious with starting him barring some miracle performance.

So to sum it up, I don't think either point are beyond doubt.

And speaking of Fridays game, who is it being broadcast by? (since I'm not local) and start time?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't know does he?  Whether he starts this season or not doesn't change the amount of money he'll earn.   I realize these are all very high ego types of people, but Allen does seem pretty well grounded.  Look at the grave yard of NFL QB's over the years who started as rookies and never did well.  You'll always wonder would they have benefited from sitting a year.  Not to say that he hasn't come to the conclusion that in the long run he'd be better off sitting and watching for a year.

And yes if he plays poorly tomorrow night, then he likely wouldn't have a chance to start, but even with a good performance unless the other two look terrible or get hurt, he still may not start. I'm sure too that McD remembers what happened last year with Petermann so  likely would be more cautious with starting him barring some miracle performance.

So to sum it up, I don't think either point are beyond doubt.

And speaking of Fridays game, who is it being broadcast by? (since I'm not local) and start time?

Wow. 

He's an athlete and a competitor.  Every athlete and competitor wants to play, not sit.   

If he is sitting there in his room tonight thinking "I've got my money, and I probably could use a year on the bench," the Bills drafted the wrong guy.   

I guarantee you he wants to be the starter against the Ravens.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We simply do not know that. 

If you read between the lines. Everything McDermott and Beane have said points to Allen starting preseason game 3 if he plays well tomorrow night and starting opening day if he plays well in preseason week 3.