30 Best Westerns of All Time

TSNBDSC

21 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I stopped when "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was list at 28.  Blasphemy.  It's the best of all time.

Article sourced from 24/7 Wall St.  "Insightful Analysis and Commentary for U.S. and Global Equity Investors". Rotten Tomatoes doesn't tell me what stocks to pick.  Maybe 24/7 Wall St. shouldn't tell me what's a 'best' western.

The opening sequence to "Once Upon a Time in the Old West" is one of the coolest/most artistic entrances to any movie I have ever seen.  The pacing of it.  The lack of dialogue.  The stillness.   Really expresses the boredom the characters are feeling.  And then because of that ultra slow pace with nothing happening, the sudden action which follows is that much more violent and forceful.

Just brilliant film making IMO.

This clip isn't complete and stops short.  I can't find the continuation of it, but gives you a flavor of what I'm talking about if you haven't seen it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Top 10 looks about right, I would put TGTBATU at #1 and knock Django Unchained down for just about every other movie on the list, I’ll say Way Out West (though moreso easily in my top 10 comedies) or Shane.

Edited by Rico

20 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I stopped when "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was listed at 28.  Blasphemy.  It's the best of all time.

I am with you on this.  For many years, if I was channel surfing and came across this, I would stop and watch.  Did not matter where in the movie it was.   I always enjoyed the dialog.

• Like (+1) 1

My father is a huge John Wayne fan and loves the Western genre. I watched a lot of "cowboy movies" growing up. These days my dog loves to watch horses on TV, so I've seen 28/30 of the Westerns listed. Not sure I'd be able to list a "best" 30.  I have personal favorites, some gritty, some funny, but "best" is always subjective.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

I think it's safe to say that John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are gods of the western.

"My Darling Clementine??"...meh....the picture of the two characters leaning up against a cactus just reeks of stupidity.

Butch/Sundance and TGTBATU are two of my faves.

I would put 310 to Yuma, Tombstone, and Seraphim Falls on this list.

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I am with you on this.  For many years, if I was channel surfing and came across this, I would stop and watch.  Did not matter where in the movie it was.   I always enjoyed the dialog.

Commenting on my own post???   It just struck me that my favorite line in that is "endeavor to persevere ."    They must have been Bills fans.