A couple questions on QB week 1 starter

MTBill

Simple QB questions - week 1 starter  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB SHOULD be starting for the Bills Week 1?

• Josh Allen
    • AJ McCarron
    • Nate Peterman
  2. 2. Which QB do you WANT to start week 1?

• Josh Allen
    • AJ McCarron
    • Nate Peterman

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t you guys expect an actual NFL defense in an actual NFL game to play press man all over the field against Nate? They will take away all quick passes (especially slants). I mean, I know basically nothing and know exactly how to defend him. If you disrupt the timing of the timing routes I don’t know how he can succeed? It isn’t complicated at all. If I am a DC he’s going to have to consistently make plays like the TD throw to Benjamin. The receivers are going to have to beat the press and Peterman is going to have to make plays over the CBs. NO ONE that has watched him is going to allow his receivers a free release. The 3 stop drop, balls out isn’t going to be a viable option.

Won't be so easy as you think with The Daboll running things.

Edited by Wagon Circler

35 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Won't be so easy as you think with The Daboll running things.

Why? He will obviously gameplan to beat that. The point being, they’ve already taken away what he does best. It’s not that difficult to gameplan against. It’s difficult to execute those types of plays. You can throw fades all day. They are just tough to complete.

10 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

well thankfully daboll's here....to plan against opponents. gilmore is top notch right?....he sucks balls playing press. darby was much the same. not every defensive secondary has the ability to do that.  not to mention not many dbs are gonna be able to hold up kb, kerley or for that matter streater, coleman or foster. we are gonna be good and i mean like 100% improvement in the passing game.

i realize josh is the man at some point, but the point is to win games one at a time starting week one. i believe that the player counsel will have a huge say in who they think can get them a w week one and i bet they are more than confident in nathan. i have faith in ajm also, but i think defenses are gonna be super aggressive right off the bat and we don't have time for ajm to scan the field or rookie mistakes.

i said the same thing about losman.......and i wasn't alone

That’s fair. I’m not saying that it will be easy to execute for either side. The question that I raised is “if you take away the quick timing routes can Peterman be effective?”

Maybe you and Wagon Circler are right and Daboll can get guys free. He can use motion and different formations to do that. He has a much better chance to do it than Dennison. 

This might be a bad question but, do you think teams are more prone to blitz when they see the likes of Allen, Donald, Mayfield, etc, in the preseason?

I almost feel more so with Allen. I wonder if even coaches might ask the other team to do so. I’m not talking exotic coverages, giving anything away, but just bringing the heat.

As enamored with JA as many of us are, I feel like there are many coaches who are just as entrigued. Can this lead to, whether subliminally or not, opposing DC’s maybe coming at JA with a little more heat in these games? Just to see first hand how the kid is coming along?

Just a though

Should and will:  McCarron.  Gives them the best chance to win.

Although if Peterman continues the play he had last week I could see that, but in the end I think McCarron's longer time in the league wins out.

Allen isn't ready yet, but I think he's going to be rally good once he gets in there.

Just playing the odds, at this point I think McCarron gives the Bills the best chance to win.  It's not that I don't like Peterson or Allen.  McCarron has beenn steady and reliable when he has started regular season games in the past.  There is always a chance that if Baltimore brings the heat that first game of the season, Peterman will revert to Chargers Peterman, the king of interceptions.  I wouldn't expect that to happen, but I can't rule it out.  Allen is a rookie, and it is very normal to think he'll do some rookie things if he starts.  Rookie things don't generally lead to winning.  So, I answered McCarron should start.  I answered that I would want to see Peterman start.  I'd love to see him get an opportunity for redemption.  I'm not anti McCarron, but being a former Bengal, I don't have as much of an emotional stake in his success.  I don't feel strongly about Allen starting because I know it's going to happen eventually.  It doesn't need to happen out of the starting gate.

I need to see the next two PS games to be honest. But if I was asked right now I think McCarron can start the first 4, then bring in Allen. However, I would absolutely love if Allen steps up and takes this thing by the horns.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I intend to run this again after the 4th preseason game...  Just to see how opinions changed.  I find it interesting that the consensus is AJM "should" start - but the consensus is also that they want Allen to start.

To me when you look at raw talent - it isn't even close...  I'd rank them Allen, Peterman, AJM based on what we've seen - and it isn't close.  When it comes to knowledge it is AJM, Peterman, Allen - and again that seems to be a wide range.  Once Allen has a bit more learning under his belt - he'll be the starter.  That could be mid to late this season.

AJM/JA

I think AJM will win the job week 1, but I don't really care if its him or NP, just think it will be AJM.  

I think we all WANT Allen to start...because if he DOES start, that would only mean one thing...he excelled past both AJM and NP and won the job showing he was ready.  No one is going to want Allen to start if he isn't ready, at least they shouldn't.  So your question just asked you do you want to start...well my want is tied to the assumption he proved he was ready because unless he does that he won't start.  I would love Allen to seize the job, but reality is we have 2 guys so far who have played well ahead of him and the staff is in no rush, so I still think it will be AJM that ultimately wins the job.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

AJM/JA

I think AJM will win the job week 1, but I don't really care if its him or NP, just think it will be AJM.  

I think we all WANT Allen to start...because if he DOES start, that would only mean one thing...he excelled past both AJM and NP and won the job showing he was ready.  No one is going to want Allen to start if he isn't ready, at least they shouldn't.  So your question just asked you do you want to start...well my want is tied to the assumption he proved he was ready because unless he does that he won't start.  I would love Allen to seize the job, but reality is we have 2 guys so far who have played well ahead of him and the staff is in no rush, so I still think it will be AJM that ultimately wins the job.  

Thanks Alpha............saves me time having to type that out.

• Like (+1) 1