A couple questions on QB week 1 starter

MTBill

Simple QB questions - week 1 starter  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB SHOULD be starting for the Bills Week 1?

• Josh Allen
    • AJ McCarron
    • Nate Peterman
  2. 2. Which QB do you WANT to start week 1?

• Josh Allen
    • AJ McCarron
    • Nate Peterman

I picked McCarron should start, want peterman to. 

I don’t want to see Allen this year unless he just is so good the coaches can’t keep him on the bench. 

I am on team peterman only for the simple fact I think he can run this offense the best and most efficient, also think he can make the O-line look great with those short routes and screens etc etc. 

With that said I expect McCarron given his experience in the film room being in Cincinnati all those years to be the week 1 starter, if he can’t win the job there’s something wrong with him 

• Like (+1) 1

Where is option 4? I vote “too soon to say” with 3 of 4 preseason games left to play. 

Of course, I hope Allen immediately proves he’s a 15 year Pro Bowler. I also pray they don’t put him in a minute before he’s ready. 

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t want to see Allen this year unless he just is so good the coaches can’t keep him on the bench. 

I am on team peterman only for the simple fact I think he can run this offense the best and most efficient, also think he can make the O-line look great with those short routes and screens etc etc. 

With that said I expect McCarron given his experience in the film room being in Cincinnati all those years to be the week 1 starter, if he can’t win the job there’s something wrong with him 

i couldn't agree more. i saw a breakdown of each of nate's plays against carolina. i forget where i saw it. it may have been posted on sbnation. i think pff gave him a perfect rating.

anyway, point being, the main point was that every ball was out IN UNDER 2 SECONDS. 9/10 could have been 10/10... that is what we need to succeed.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

i couldn't agree more. i saw a breakdown of each of nate's plays against carolina. i forget where i saw it. it may have been posted on sbnation. i think pff gave him a perfect rating.

anyway, point being, the main point was that every ball was out IN UNDER 2 SECONDS. 9/10 could have been 10/10... that is what we need to succeed.

Don’t you guys expect an actual NFL defense in an actual NFL game to play press man all over the field against Nate? They will take away all quick passes (especially slants). I mean, I know basically nothing and know exactly how to defend him. If you disrupt the timing of the timing routes I don’t know how he can succeed? It isn’t complicated at all. If I am a DC he’s going to have to consistently make plays like the TD throw to Benjamin. The receivers are going to have to beat the press and Peterman is going to have to make plays over the CBs. NO ONE that has watched him is going to allow his receivers a free release. The 3 stop drop, balls out isn’t going to be a viable option.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t you guys expect an actual NFL defense in an actual NFL game to play press man all over the field against Nate. They will take away all quick passes (especially slants). I mean, I know basically nothing and know exactly how to defend him. If you disrupt the timing of the timing routes I don’t know how he can succeed? It isn’t complicated at all. If I am a DC he’s going to have to consistently make plays like the TD throw to Benjamin. The receivers are going to have to beat the press and Peterman is going to have to make plays over the CBs. NO ONE that has watched him is going to allow his receivers a free release. The 3 stop drop, balls out isn’t going to be a viable option.

I do agree with what you’re saying. What we seen is not a viable long term thing. Question is does the offensive coordinator adjust for these things, can they switch it up? Is he only a one trick pony? 

My support of peterman isn’t based off his throws in the one preseason game. I liked his command of the huddle and line of scrimmage, his efficiency of the play clock, and grasp of the playbook he ran for that game. They got to the line super fast, made some adjustments. He knew the routes and where he was going with the ball. But yeah that was a simple game plan and left some questions for sure. Can he make the second read if that primary route is taken away? 

Can our receivers beat press and get open? Can he make a mid to deep range throw routinely and accurately? I hope my post didn’t sound like a kool-aid peterman poster lol I just like the qualities he had in that game. I’d like to see more. I guess to simplify it for the one preseason taste we got I felt peterman had the best grasp of our playbook and what we’re trying to do. Rather it’s the 1’s 2’s or 3’s he just seems like he’s got the offense down. I didn’t see that from the other 2 guys.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I do agree with what you’re saying. What we seen is not a viable long term thing. Question is does the offensive coordinator adjust for these things, can they switch it up? Is he only a one trick pony? 

My support of peterman isn’t based off his throws in the one preseason game. I liked his command of the huddle and line of scrimmage, his efficiency of the play clock, and grasp of the playbook he ran for that game. They got to the line super fast, made some adjustments. He knew the routes and where he was going with the ball. But yeah that was a simple game plan and left some questions for sure. Can he make the second read if that primary route is taken away? 

Can our receivers beat press and get open? Can he make a mid to deep range throw routinely and accurately? I hope my post didn’t sound like a kool-aid peterman poster lol I just like the qualities he had in that game. I’d like to see more. I guess to simplify it for the one preseason taste we got I felt peterman had the best grasp of our playbook and what we’re trying to do. Rather it’s the 1’s 2’s or 3’s he just seems like he’s got the offense down. I didn’t see that from the other 2 guys.

Those are all fair questions. The irony is that’s basically why Dennison got fired. He pushed for Peterman because he thought that he was the best guy to execute his offense. It just revealed how easy that offense is to defend. 

Peterman made that throw to Benjamin last week for the TD. If he can consistently do he will keep the DBs honest. That was absolutely progress. I was simply pointing out that he’s much, much easier to defend than Allen (and to a lesser extent Peterman). Peterman may throw those slants more consistently but the other guys (especially Allen) can throw more routes. They make the Bills offense more diverse IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t you guys expect an actual NFL defense in an actual NFL game to play press man all over the field against Nate? They will take away all quick passes (especially slants). I mean, I know basically nothing and know exactly how to defend him. If you disrupt the timing of the timing routes I don’t know how he can succeed? It isn’t complicated at all. If I am a DC he’s going to have to consistently make plays like the TD throw to Benjamin. The receivers are going to have to beat the press and Peterman is going to have to make plays over the CBs. NO ONE that has watched him is going to allow his receivers a free release. The 3 stop drop, balls out isn’t going to be a viable option.

so.....what kind of defense would you expect against a.j. or j.a.?   soft zone?  cover 2?  looking forward to hearing how the defense will be any different with either of the other 2 qbs in. .......enlighten me

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

so.....what kind of defense would you expect against a.j. or j.a.?   soft zone?  cover 2?  looking forward to hearing how the defense will be any different with either of the other 2 qbs in. .......enlighten me

I expect a variety of defenses against them. They are much more likely to beat press man. They are better down the field. I don’t think that either of them has a kryptonite. I mean are you disagreeing that Peterman will struggle if defended like that? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I expect a variety of defenses against them. They are much more likely to beat press man. They are better down the field. I don’t think that either of them has a kryptonite. I mean are you disagreeing that Peterman will struggle if defended like that? 

no i'm not, but if you play press and send the heat against a.j., he's likely to take a lot of sacks.  if you do the same against josh, you may get some erratic throws and you can also contain him from running. if you stack the box against shady....which i fully expect teams to do starting off, ask yourself this question....which qb gets the ball out fastest to burn those kinds of defense? 

the answer is nate....who btw made every throw in under 2 seconds.  you think there will be time for ajm to "climb the pocket"?.....or josh to evade and scramble ala tyrod?

i originally thought ajm was the best bet against baltimore having faced them.  however getting the ball out in under 2 seconds i think is the best way to get a couple of upsets in the first couple of games. then we can ride shady.  that quick strike offense is why i'm siding with nate. you can't blitz a guy who is accurate and gets the ball out that quick.

sincerely ...tom brady

9 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

no i'm not, but if you play press and send the heat against a.j., he's likely to take a lot of sacks.  if you do the same against josh, you may get some erratic throws and you can also contain him from running. if you stack the box against shady....which i fully expect teams to do starting off, ask yourself this question....which qb gets the ball out fastest to burn those kinds of defense? 

the answer is nate....who btw made every throw in under 2 seconds.  you think there will be time for ajm to "climb the pocket"?.....or josh to evade and scramble ala tyrod?

i originally thought ajm was the best bet against baltimore having faced them.  however getting the ball out in under 2 seconds i think is the best way to get a couple of upsets in the first couple of games. then we can ride shady.  that quick strike offense is why i'm siding with nate. you can't blitz a guy who is accurate and gets the ball out that quick.

sincerely ...tom brady

I think that’s all fair. The point I was making is that you can’t get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds if the guys aren’t open. That’s why teams will play that way against Peterman. They will take away all of the quick routes until he proves that he can make the other throws. He hasn’t done that yet. The throw to KB was a start. We will see I guess...

It should be the best QB who gives us the best chance to win who can handle what's thrown at him and not fall into the same quicksand mentality Peterman seemed to fall into last year against the Chargers.

Personally, I just think that's the guy who's clearly the most talented guy on the roster right now.  I'll be fine with McCarron, but reports are he's just taking a crazy amount of sacks.  I don't know if that's more on him or on the OL, but I don't really get the sense that Allen would be rattled if he started and got some pressure.

The fact that Allen is the most talented QB on the roster by a mile is the reason I want him to start.  But the fact that he seems extremely mentally and emotionally tough is the reason I also think he should start.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s all fair. The point I was making is that you can’t get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds if the guys aren’t open. That’s why teams will play that way against Peterman. They will take away all of the quick routes until he proves that he can make the other throws. He hasn’t done that yet. The throw to KB was a start. We will see I guess...

well thankfully daboll's here....to plan against opponents. gilmore is top notch right?....he sucks balls playing press. darby was much the same. not every defensive secondary has the ability to do that.  not to mention not many dbs are gonna be able to hold up kb, kerley or for that matter streater, coleman or foster. we are gonna be good and i mean like 100% improvement in the passing game.

i realize josh is the man at some point, but the point is to win games one at a time starting week one. i believe that the player counsel will have a huge say in who they think can get them a w week one and i bet they are more than confident in nathan. i have faith in ajm also, but i think defenses are gonna be super aggressive right off the bat and we don't have time for ajm to scan the field or rookie mistakes.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It should be the best QB who gives us the best chance to win who can handle what's thrown at him and not fall into the same quicksand mentality Peterman seemed to fall into last year against the Chargers.

Personally, I just think that's the guy who's clearly the most talented guy on the roster right now.  I'll be fine with McCarron, but reports are he's just taking a crazy amount of sacks.  I don't know if that's more on him or on the OL, but I don't really get the sense that Allen would be rattled if he started and got some pressure.

The fact that Allen is the most talented QB on the roster by a mile is the reason I want him to start.  But the fact that he seems extremely mentally and emotionally tough is the reason I also think he should start.

i said the same thing about losman.......and i wasn't alone