Common Sense QB Progression 4 Preseason

T master

I'll throw this out there.  If Kelly would have signed with Buffalo out of college - he would have sat behind Fergy for a year.  Just sayin'.

I think why people want to have Allen start this year is because AJM/Peterman are not just "locks" as QB, both are effectively almost as green as he is.  But - they are not as green as he is, and I think Allen is a better QB if he sits for at least part of the season, learning by watching.  He'll learn more from Daboll on the sidelines (or Culley) as far as how this offense works.  That is going to make him better when he hits the field, than it would if he was under fire trying to learn it from the field.

I get both sides here - I just happen to be on the let him learn side.

Edited by MTBill

43 minutes ago, MTBill said:

I'll throw this out there.  If Kelly would have signed with Buffalo out of college - he would have sat behind Fergy for a year.  Just sayin'.

I think why people want to have Allen start this year is because AJM/Peterman are not just "locks" as QB, both are effectively almost as green as he is.  But - they are not as green as he is, and I think Allen is a better QB if he sits for at least part of the season, learning by watching.  He'll learn more from Daboll on the sidelines (or Culley) as far as how this offense works.  That is going to make him better when he hits the field, than it would if he was under fire trying to learn it from the field.

I get both sides here - I just happen to be on the let him learn side.

My stance is that Allen is not ready for the mental aspect of the NFL.  I also don't think Wentz was ready and I think it showed in his first year in the NFL (Not going to lie and say that I think his injury was a result of him being out there too early.  I think he picked up habits in his first year that he carried over to his second year, which got him hurt). 

To me the risk is too high of ruining Allen.  This team has invested way too much into him to just throw him out there with the current situation around him and him not being mentally ready.  I have zero issue with Peterman and McCarron being the punching bag this year.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

My stance is that Allen is not ready for the mental aspect of the NFL.  I also don't think Wentz was ready and I think it showed in his first year in the NFL (Not going to lie and say that I think his injury was a result of him being out there too early.  I think he picked up habits in his first year that he carried over to his second year, which got him hurt). 

To me the risk is too high of ruining Allen.  This team has invested way too much into him to just throw him out there with the current situation around him and him not being mentally ready.  I have zero issue with Peterman and McCarron being the punching bag this year.

I remember the Bills ruined Todd Collins....who went on to play in the league for  15 years with KC and the Skins

My (unfortunate) prediction is the season will be over by the bye........and Allen will get the last 6 games for seasoning his skills.

Edited by bigK14094

The players usually know who the best players are on their team.  The coach preaches for the players to always play hard to give the team the best chance to win.  It makes little to no sense with this philosophy to play anyone but the player that has won his position fair and square through competition.  When Allen has won the competition and is the best QB on the team he will play.  Until then, it will be the one who has shown himself to be the best. IMO.

14 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I remember the Bills ruined Todd Collins....who went on to play in the league for  15 years with KC and the Skins

My (unfortunate) prediction is the season will be over by the bye........and Allen will get the last 6 games for seasoning his skills.

To be honest, I am tired of talking about past QB that we "ruined" Much of what a QB is able to get accomplished isn't based on when you start him as much as is he ready? Is he being coached up properly? Is the OC going to do a good job easing him in the system? The mental part is there and he has physical ability, for me its reps with starters in practices/preseason games that will help decide where he is at.

Coaching, readiness, ability, mental frame of mind, with the speed of the game and so on. I can go on but there wont be an answer to these questions till Josh Allen plays with #1's in a preseason game. you mention QB's that failed because of being started right away? what about all the good QB's in the league that DID start right away and are great starting QB's in this league at the very least?

Foster gave up on a long pass play that would of been a TD, not counting dropped passes and O'Line penalties that were dictated by a weak third string unit. To be honest with you I doubt that coaching staff even fully knows where Allen is at till he plays with starters.

lets not pull out our cute little crystal shiny balls and look into the future, lets ENJOY the process and ride with it.

13 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

To be honest, I am tired of talking about past QB that we "ruined" Much of what a QB is able to get accomplished isn't based on when you start him as much as is he ready? Is he being coached up properly? Is the OC going to do a good job easing him in the system? The mental part is there and he has physical ability, for me its reps with starters in practices/preseason games that will help decide where he is at.

Coaching, readiness, ability, mental frame of mind, with the speed of the game and so on. I can go on but there wont be an answer to these questions till Josh Allen plays with #1's in a regular season preseason game. you mention QB's that failed because of being started right away? what about all the good QB's in the league that DID start right away and are great starting QB's in this league at the very least?

Foster gave up on a long pass play that would of been a TD, not counting dropped passes and O'Line penalties that were dictated by a weak third string unit. To be honest with you I doubt that coaching staff even fully knows where Allen is at till he plays with starters.

lets not pull out our cute little crystal shiny balls and look into the future, lets ENJOY the process and ride with it.

Right on except for this.  Game plans are nowhere near the complexity of the real season ones.  Every team would have one or more franchise quarterbacks if preseason performance was a true indicator.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll take a stab. Because it hasn’t ever been mentioned by the teams’ brass? ?

I do believe McCarron starts @ B’more given his experiences with an old Division rival. Likely Game 2 at Home vs. SD as well. But after 2 weeks of Regular Season protocol Home & Away, I think there may be a change to the Rook. I absolutely believe Allen starts a few games this season.

‘Why can’t people grasp this?’

It's not a lottery.  McCarron will start until he's hurt or sucks.  That's the long and short of it.  If our season takes a dump, we'll see Allan.  If McCarron is winning.... Why would we see him?

I see your point.  I believe theirs a good chance to see Allen this year, but it really has to be from a lack of success.

26 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

It's not a lottery.  McCarron will start until he's hurt or sucks.  That's the long and short of it.  If our season takes a dump, we'll see Allan.  If McCarron is winning.... Why would we see him?

I see your point.  I believe theirs a good chance to see Allen this year, but it really has to be from a lack of success.

I disagree.

No, it doesn’t. McBeane have placed all their chips in on Allen. McCarron & Peterman are 5th Round Place-holders for the teams’ future. The sooner they let Allen play with real bullets, the faster he’ll learn how to shoot correctly. I’m sure he’ll see the field at sometime this season because of this. The ‘other 2’ likely won’t even be Bills by 2020.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I disagree.

No, it doesn’t. McBeane have placed all their chips in on Allen. McCarron & Peterman are 5th Round Place-holders for the teams’ future. The sooner they let Allen play with real bullets, the faster he’ll learn how to shoot correctly. I’m sure he’ll see the field at sometime this season because of this. The ‘other 2’ likely won’t even be Bills by 2020.

We're not sitting at the table with them.  McBeane have shown to me that they know what there doing and seem to have the confidence of ownership and the team.  

I admire that they don't hear us.  Really.  There not going to risk blowing out there brand new turbo charger with out breaking it in, because someone thinks they should race with it right now.

3 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

We're not sitting at the table with them.  McBeane have shown to me that they know what there doing and seem to have the confidence of ownership and the team.  

I admire that they don't hear us.  Really.  There not going to risk blowing out there brand new turbo charger with out breaking it in, because someone thinks they should race with it right now.

I didn’t say anything like that. Do I think Allen will start at sometime this year? Definitely. He’s the future. The ‘other 2’ are not.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I didn’t say anything like that. Do I think Allen will start at sometime this year? Definitely. He’s the future. The ‘other 2’ are not.

I would hope that the coaches play to win, and not sacrifice a season to teach a guy to shoot.  If he is the best, he plays.  Plain and simple.  This isn't Pop Warner anymore.  It Pro.

For what is worth I understood you as saying he needs to start because of the investment made on him, and not his readiness.  If I read that wrong I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, JaxBills said:
18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I disagree.

As far as needing games to improve,

Do you know how to get to Carnagy Hall?

Edited by JaxBills