Common Sense QB Progression 4 Preseason

T master

There is a lot of hype being put on the fact that this week coach McD could play Allen some with the first team unit to see how he does & where he is at with the better players add to it the fact that he has been working almost exclusively with the second team all week that should be part of the natural progression of the process.

I thought when Peterman started in the first game that they would (like they are doing) start AJ in the second game with the 1's & move Allen up to the second team O in this game & Petermen would be with the 3's, then the 3rd game Allen would see time with the 1's, Petermen with the 2's, & AJ with the 3's, by that time they should have a good idea who will be their starter .

I know some talk has been given that usually the 3rd preseason game is a dress rehearsal for the starter & that they would like to know by the 3rd game who their starter is but given that there is or at least seems to be a true QB competition this year of which the rookie is apparently a part of that this is the way it could go .

I for one am all for letting Allen sit for a while (unlike J. Murphy the QB flopper) given the history of many QB's of the past like EJ, Losman & others that due to coaching along with the handling of their careers by possibly throwing them into the fire to quick . The result with a QB that sits a bit seems to have a bit better out come IMHO ! 

Farve, Brady, Rogers all sat for a time & i know some of you would say that there are those that started right away that had great careers like the Manning brothers & many more but today's college game is much different from when these guys started & i just think given some time to adjust to the NFL due to having to read the D & all the adjustments that a NFL QB has to make it would just be to Allen's best interest to sit for a while .

Not sure if that is for half the yr, a full season but i think it would help him when he does hit the field full time because the last thing the Bills need is another bust when it comes to a QB especially since they invested such a high pick in him ! We don't need a first round back up !! 

One thing i do not hope is that say if they do start AJ & he is doing really well & has the team winning that they would let him play out the season & put Allen in here & there as to not start a Flutie/Johnson controversy & divide or confuse the team like that scenario did !!

What if Josh Allen is already better than Nate Peterman or AJ McCarron. Do you still think that he is better of sitting behind two QBs that he is already better than? I do not. All 3 QBs should get time with the ones and the best QB should start, regardless of experience level. If Allen sits behind two QBs who aren't as good as he is, then I can't imagine that will help his growth at all. If Josh Allen is the best than he should play.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen is sitting the year, why can't people grasp this?

McCarron probably starts next two preseason games.  Peterman will get some reps with first team in third.  Allen starts 4th preseason.

McCarron starts the season.

I agree ! But if you listen to John Murphy he wants Allen to start every preseason game to see what he has & truth be told i think Murph wants him to be the starter because he has almost said as much on 1 Bills Live because of where they drafted him & what they gave up to get him .

Which he did the same thing with EJ after there was plenty of tape showing the down hill trend that he was on !! But that's Murph for as much sports as he's been a part of he apparently hasn't learned a lot in that time & Tasker is the voice of experience !!

19 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I’ll take a stab. Because it hasn’t ever been mentioned by the teams’ brass? ?

I do believe McCarron starts @ B’more given his experiences with an old Division rival. Likely Game 2 at Home vs. SD as well. But after 2 weeks of Regular Season protocol Home & Away, I think there may be a change to the Rook. I absolutely believe Allen starts a few games this season.

‘Why can’t people grasp this?’

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

McCarron probably starts next two preseason games.  Peterman will get some reps with first team in third.  Allen starts 4th preseason.

Cool.  Now I don't need to watch/read about any preseason games.

Can you please let us know which regular season games we're going to win so I can plan my Fall/Winter Sundays accordingly?

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

What if Josh Allen is already better than Nate Peterman or AJ McCarron. Do you still think that he is better of sitting behind two QBs that he is already better than? I do not. All 3 QBs should get time with the ones and the best QB should start, regardless of experience level. If Allen sits behind two QBs who aren't as good as he is, then I can't imagine that will help his growth at all. If Josh Allen is the best than he should play.

Given that Allen's physical ability & arm strength he is already head & shoulders above the others which gives him the edge & is the reason why McBean drafted him so high but the in game experience & seeing along with deciphering a NFL defense is what he needs to learn .

If you listen to what Pennington said in his interview on 1 Bills Live (which i thought was brilliant over view) about what it takes to be a good  NFL QB, then put that with what AJ has said in some of his interviews "that he has seen every defense that there is in the NFL in his time in the league"  which Allen hasn't that gives some reason to think sitting might not be a bad thing  .

A lot of people think because AJ hasn't been "ON the field" his entire NFL career that he lacks the experience but given his entire career college & pro i just feel the dude has the "IT" factor when it comes to playing the position & taken under AJ's wing & watching him perform would not only do Allen good but Petermen as well.

• Like (+1) 1

It may never be revealed, but I’m of the belief AJ -upon being passed up in FA, and inking a modest 2 yr comp pkg, was immediately informed the team has positioned themselves to move up in this Once a Generation QB Draft Class and he’ll be the veteran quide for ‘the Future’. This essential commodity wasn’t on the team and his persona lends itself well for this capacity.

Not every pro QB feels cheated they didn’t get to become the next Peyton Manning. Many backup QB’s enjoy a lengthy career doing just this. You can make a case that -like Tyrod- he won’t win you many games, but he likely won’t lose many due to risky chances & effective ball control. Allen’s college career wasn’t designed this way, but Every QB worth his weight must possess this to varying degrees.

At this stage, I hope for a fine 10+ yr career for AJ’s Bills tenure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Thanks for keeping us all updated.

I see no indication from the Bills' comments that this is a likely or even preferable scenario. One thing that the "redshirt" camp fails to point out is that Allen is not sitting behind Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe or Joe Montana. He is not exactly learning at the feet of the master. AJ McCarron and Nate Peterman have 5 NFL starts between them. People talk like we should start McCarron against the Ravens as though he is some graybeard veteran. He is not Matt Cassel. He has barely played in the NFL.

When McDermott, Daboll and Culley are comfortable Allen's going in there and the comfort level is on a relative scale.  

Edited by Flip Johnson

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Probably because 1) McD or Beane haven't said anything said what they plan to do  2) Allen played shockingly well in the first game 3) you dont know anymore than anyone else, just your assumption.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Doubt it. If Allen plays well with the twos this week he will start the third preseason game. If he plays well in the third preseason game he starts opening week. The only way AJ starts is if Allen does not play well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Because it's not plausible.  Next question?

1 hour ago, T master said:

I agree ! But if you listen to John Murphy he wants Allen to start every preseason game to see what he has & truth be told i think Murph wants him to be the starter because he has almost said as much on 1 Bills Live because of where they drafted him & what they gave up to get him .

Which he did the same thing with EJ after there was plenty of tape showing the down hill trend that he was on !! But that's Murph for as much sports as he's been a part of he apparently hasn't learned a lot in that time & Tasker is the voice of experience !!

EJ did plenty of sitting and that didn’t seem to help him. If they are going to be good they will find a way. The more starts in year one the better.

The only thing we know now for certain is that there are still a bunch of variables in the decision to start Allen that have to play out first:

1.  How is our Oline with it's new coach, new faces and new system going to play.  At this point I would say the arrow is pointing up a little more than I'd thought, but we won't know until Baltimore.  If our pass protection is weak, this will impact McD's decision.

2.  How is our AJ/Peterman starter doing?   If they're playing adequate ball, the kid gets to sit on the bench and learn the complexities of the NFL qb job.  He's still a trainee after all.

3.  How will our WR's do this year?  We have an injury prone WR1 and a bunch of mediocrity after that.  Can our wideouts and TE's get separation and play at a high enough level to help a rookie kid have some consistency?  If it's another revolving door like last year, this will work against the kid.  

4.  How is Josh processing and learning offensive and defensive game plans?  He still hasn't seen one in his entire life yet.  

We know he can throw, elude, climb the pocket and seems to have a knack for sensing pressure.  To me that's the unteachable and all I wanted to see against Carolina.   I think we'll see #17 get his first start against the Bears mid season here in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I can't grasp this because my impression from the coaches is when Allen improves his decision making and comfort with the offense he'll get his chance.   By jettisoning Tyrod, I believe the hope is that he starts sometime this season, around the mid season. 

Josh needs to use his arm and decision-making more judiciously, ultimately he will need enough field time to truly learn that.  Why waste this season and part of next if we're building a winner?

If AJM or NP plays lights out then Allen may have to wait a season, but I'm not counting on that.

NP started week 10 last year, after the game McD said "The decision was not about winning now but about the future."

There is so much delusional in this thread it's almost scary.

I am still trying to grasp how this regime has shown anything but patience and details.

Also, what is up with people think Allen played good in his first game?  If anything, most people thought he showed a ton of promise if groomed correctly, not that he played good enough to make him the starter.  Grooming correctly is not throwing him into the woods this year.

1 minute ago, GaryPinC said:

I can't grasp this because my impression from the coaches is when Allen improves his decision making and comfort with the offense he'll get his chance.   By jettisoning Tyrod, I believe the hope is that he starts sometime this season, around the mid season. 

Josh needs to use his arm and decision-making more judiciously, ultimately he will need enough field time to truly learn that.  Why waste this season and part of next if we're building a winner?

If AJM or NP plays lights out then Allen may have to wait a season, but I'm not counting on that.

NP started week 10 last year, after the game McD said "The decision was not about winning now but about the future."

This is completely false and there is zero evidence to back up this claim.  You can learn a ton from film and practice without getting your head plowed in every week when you get killed on the field because you weren't ready.