Did Bills make mistake not resigning Leonard Johnson?

I know salary cap space made a difference but he was not getting not much more than veteran minimum. 

None of the backup CBs seem to be playing well and Leonard was familiar with Coach McD's scheme which Frasier is running.

Beane's boss picked him up last week when the Giants' DBs were not up to stuff.

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/08/alterraun_verner_former_pro_bowler_among_free_agen.html

With a rookie middle LB an experienced 3rd CB would be very useful especially since teams are in nickel formation 60% of time these days.

I think Taron Johnson will fill the role nicely.  He's given up some plays, but he was tight in his coverage.  He just needs to find the ball faster or learn how NFL WR's try to set up DB's to not make a play on the ball.  Johnson (Taron) should be fine IMO.

33 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think Taron Johnson will fill the role nicely.  He's given up some plays, but he was tight in his coverage.  He just needs to find the ball faster or learn how NFL WR's try to set up DB's to not make a play on the ball.  Johnson (Taron) should be fine IMO.

And best of all, he is wearing #24, so my old Johnson jersey still works!

• Like (+1) 2

Should of retained EJ Gaines. Most likely did not want to be here considering what he signed for with the Browns wasn't as much as most thought he'd get . I'm guessing also that maybe McBeane didn't want him back because of his injury history. Its a real slap in the face to choose the Browns over us.

What they should have done is got a #2 (borderline #1)receiver. Now KB knees are barking again. Great, just great!

VDavis has been injury plagued throughout his career and, according to reports I’ve read on TSW, has been walking gingerly all TC.  I’m not worried about the nickel spot, I’m worried about who replaces Davis when he gets hurt. Not sure Gaines is the guy

Just now, NewEra said:

VDavis has been injury plagued throughout his career and, according to reports I’ve read on TSW, has been walking gingerly all TC.  I’m not worried about the nickel spot, I’m worried about who replaces Davis when he gets hurt. Not sure Gaines is the guy

I didn’t like Johnson out there when the other gains was hurt last year. Night and day. Hope they have better depth now

Based on what I have heard and seen of Gaines so far - yes! Not sure Gaines in Johnson out is an upgrade. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I didn’t like Johnson out there when the other gains was hurt last year. Night and day. Hope they have better depth now

Johnson didn't really go outside. Shereece Wright was their primary backup at the outside corner spots. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

No but I wish Leonard Smith would have stuck around a couple more years

He is is a nice guy. Came to our tailgate last year.  

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So now we’re concerned about the loss of a backup journeyman defensive back? They’re a ‘dime’ a dozen. (See what I did there?)

Yes you posted D(r)eck Socal. Nothing new.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on what I have heard and seen of Gaines so far - yes! Not sure Gaines in Johnson out is an upgrade. 

Johnson didn't really go outside. Shereece Wright was their primary backup at the outside corner spots. 

Johnson is meh, but I do not miss Shareece Wright at all.