How did Foster make the team?

wppete

18 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Fair enough. It just seems to work the other way. I, like a lot of others hope Foster is a surprise. I just don't see it happening. He has all the physical tools. I just don't think he will. It wasn't as much but his hype reminds me of Da'rick Rogers out of Tennessee if I remember his name correctly. A guy with potential, but at that level more times the potential goes unfulfilled rather than working out. 

I remember the hype. He plays for the Argos. There is no hype for Foster. 

Rogers had some off the field and behavioral issues, I believe. There is none of that with Foster. Foster played in a much better program/conference and he’s faster than Rogers. I don’t think they are the same type of players.

We’ll see how much playing time Foster gets tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rogers had some off the field and behavioral issues, I believe. There is none of that with Foster. Foster played in a much better program/conference and he’s faster than Rogers. I don’t think they are the same type of players.

You make awful points. Foster played in a better program, had a worse collegiate career. Rogers was supposedly a 3rd round grade or so but wouldn't quit smoking weed. Rogers had a way higher upside. 

Tennessee is in the SEC, wtf are you talking about? I'm trying to respect your point, but you have no respect for others points and just make flat out wrong ones. How is Rogers not similar to Foster? They are both bigger WRs with some speed. They both played in the SEC, they both have great potential from a physical stand point.

I keep getting warnings so I'm not going to go on with what I think of you now. But you totally lost me on any respect I had for you. That post was atrocious. You make up what you want to see. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He got a lot of playing time last week. The problem was he didn't play well. I think tonight is in make or break territory for me. The guy he reminds me of (in off-season arc not in terms of playing style) is Dez Lewis. He had the same great time in shorts in OTAs and mini camp, buzz going into camp, struggles to make plays when training camp arrives and then shows up poorly on the field in pre-season.  

If Foster doesn't have himself a game tonight he will not be a Buffalo Bill much longer. 

7 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I obviously disagree with the general assessment of Foster’s play last Thursday. 

Take the 'Bama glasses off then. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You make awful points. Foster played in a better program, had a worse collegiate career. Rogers was supposedly a 3rd round grade or so but wouldn't quit smoking weed. Rogers had a way higher upside. 

Tennessee is in the SEC, wtf are you talking about? I'm trying to respect your point, but you have no respect for others points and just make flat out wrong ones. How is Rogers not similar to Foster? They are both bigger WRs with some speed. They both played in the SEC, they both have great potential from a physical stand point.

I keep getting warnings so I'm not going to go on with what I think of you now. But you totally lost me on any respect I had for you. That post was atrocious. You make up what you want to see. 

ODB, I don't know if Foster will be any good. I HOPE so but who knows?

As for the bold print above, try to understand that Foster played on a team with a great wr Calvin Ridley, AND a qb who was a runner and a game manager. A case could be made that he is not such a good passer at all. Additionally, deep down; Coach Saban prefers running the football over throwing it. He has adapted well (obviously) to the times but seriously.....he would rather run.

Foster probably has a lot to learn when compared to other rookies due to the above. He didn't get a whole lot of chances. Why don't we stay calm and see how it plays out?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I still think Foster has a shot. He's just so athletic. I think he needs to show improvement in the passing game and needs to flash on special teams. I don't know how likely it is however, but I hope they can at least keep him around on the practice squad. At the end of the day, whoever makes the bottom of the reciever depth chart, be it Foster, Phillips, Reilly, probably isn't dressing on Sundays anyway. 

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Rogers played one year at Tennessee and then transferred to Tennessee Tech after Tennessee suspended him. Tennessee Tech is a FCS school in the Ohio Valley Conference. Rogers acknowledged he failed 3 drug tests while he was at Tennessee.

My points stand. Foster is a 4.4 guy Rogers is a 4.5 guy. Foster has run a 4.34 while at Alabama. He has more than “some speed” and he plays fast. Foster has had no off the field or drug issues. Foster played in a superior college program/conference. If he plays at a school like TT, I’m sure that he would have gotten a lot more touches.

Foster played gunner with the first unit during camp, so he has special teams skills. I don’t know about Rogers.

Foster made two plays in last week’s game which were very nearly TDs after he torched veteran CBs. His potential is undeniable and he had a great practice on Monday according to an independent account.

I choose to be optimistic about Foster, but for some reason that is highly upsetting to some people.

Edited by Sky Diver

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster made two plays in last week’s game which were very nearly TDs after he torched veteran CBs. His potential is undeniable. 

Errr.... no he didn't.  If he had then we would be having a very different conversation here. He does have a ST advantage over the other potential PS WRs though. No denying that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Errr.... no he didn't.  If he had then we would be having a very different conversation here. He does have a ST advantage over the other potential PS WRs though. No denying that. 

The first ball, which Foster caught, was thrown out of bounds and the second ball was just out of his reach. 

He made two excellent football plays to get behind veteran CBs on deep patterns that very easily could have resulted in TDs.

Maybe Coleman has the same ability. We’ll see. Otherwise, who do we have that can do what Foster did. We have to have a guy that can stretch the field.

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

The first ball, which Foster caught, was thrown out of bounds and the second ball was just out of his reach. 

He made two excellent football plays to get behind veteran CBs on deep patterns that very easily could have resulted in TDs.

The second ball was not out of reach if he ran the route properly. He nearly made two plays. He didn't make two plays. It's a game of inches. Running fast behind a cornerback is not making a play unless when the ball is thrown your way you come up with it.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe Coleman has the same ability. We’ll see. Otherwise, who do we have that can do what Foster did. We have to have a guy that can stretch the field.

Dude.  Seriously.  You are literally changing the definition of the word play to make your Bama guy look good.  He looked bad.....not good.  Half a player....half a play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Yea. That's right. Robert Foster, UDFA, with 0 NFL pre-season catches (let alone regular season) has proven more than former 1st round pick Corey Coleman with 56 catches, over 700 yards and 5 touchdowns in real NFL games.

We will have to wait and see if Coleman can match the ability zero catch Foster has shown.  I mean come on man, this is ridiculous at this point. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You are just terrible at this.

The first one was caught as in it made it into his hands, yes.

Regarding it as a catch when talking about football, which is a "reception" then no, it wasn't.

He didn't make an excellent play because he didn't pay attention to his location by the sideline, and didn't even attempt to keep his feet in bounds.

Thusly, his stat like read a fat goose egg for receptions.

The one that was out of his reach read his fault.

He pulled up and waved his arms at it, making to legitimate attempt.

He should have caught that ball, but he didn't, because he made zero effort.

For somebody who brags about Alabama's academics you are pretty dense.

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Show me an example of a WR not looking back for the ball. The criticism on the second deep ball is ridiculous. What commentator does it come from?

Wrong, as usual. At least your consistent.

Well duh your supposed to look back for the ball... But not the entire time is in the air... Gotta look back for it when the ball is coming towards you. Foster started looking back for it way to early.

Edited by Kmart128
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The second ball was not out of reach if he ran the route properly. He nearly made two plays. He didn't make two plays. It's a game of inches. Running fast behind a cornerback is not making a play unless when the ball is thrown your way you come up with it.  

He probably thinks the Bills won SBXXV, because by his definition, Norwood made the kick, since he had enough leg for it, even if it doesn't go between the uprights.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dude.  Seriously.  You are literally changing the definition of the word play to make your Bama guy look good.  He looked bad.....not good.  Half a player....half a play.

Changing definitions of rules to fit around what he wants.

Sounds just like what saban does with recruiting, so this isn't surprising.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He came up with the first pass, but it was thrown out of bounds. That’s hardly Foster’s fault. I disagree about the 2nd pass.

He made two excellent football plays to get behind veteran CBs which very nearly resulted in TDs. Other Bills WRs likely don’t make those plays.

16 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well duh your supposed to look back for the ball... But not the entire time is in the air... Gotta look back for it when the ball is coming towards you. Foster started looking back for it way to early.

Let’s assume for the sake of argument you’re right. He still torched a 4.39 CB by a few yards. Are we really arguing about a 50 or so yard pass that was just off his finger tips?  If he can do that with supposed bad technique, we may have something really special.

Edited by Sky Diver

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

THANK YOU. Beating the CB isn't making a football play.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

He came up with the first pass, but it was thrown out of bounds. That’s hardly Foster’s fault. I disagree about the 2nd pass.

He made two excellent football plays to get behind veteran CBs which very nearly resulted in TDs. Other Bills WRs likely don’t make those plays.

An excellent football play would be an actual reception on both plays.

He had zero awareness of the sideline and made no effort to stay in on the first one.

The second he made no effort to catch it.

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Running behind a corner is NOT making a play. 

• Like (+1) 1