Optimistic About 2018

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Rhetorical question:

In a thread entitled "Optimistic about 2018," why do people who aren't optimistic feel compelled to join in and spread their pessimism?

Where/from whom do you see pessimism about 2018 and beyond?

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, it would really do all of us a favor, including yourself, if you just went away and stopped following the Bills.

the irony in all this is that in his condescending responses to either one of us he was the one calling somebody else a douche...… the dude is the very definition. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, joesixpack said:

Not singling out you. Don't worry. :lol:

I didn't see what you said as being overly pessimistic.

I gave a realistic assessment of last season, setting up my realistic/very optimistic views regarding 2018 and beyond.  Then Stink Finger jumped all over me and got backup from Michael Jackson's Sister.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the irony in all this is that in his responses to either one of us he was the one calling somebody else a douche...… the dude is the very definition. 

I just re-read what I wrote.  I didn't call anyone a douche.  Man, you two need to brush up on your comprehension skills.  I'll try to write one sentence at a time in the future.  You're a feisty little guy, aren't you?

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I gave a realistic assessment of last season, setting up my realistic/very optimistic views regarding 2018 and beyond.  Then Stink Finger jumped all over me and got backup from Michael Jackson's Sister.

I just re-read what I wrote.  I didn't call anyone a douche.  Man, you two need to brush up on your comprehension skills.  I'll try to write one sentence at a time in the future.  You're a feisty little guy, aren't you?

Welp, that was a feisty response to my response ;)

ANYWAY, it was a rhetorical question. There are those here who've pre-baked in an idea that this team's going to be worse than last year without any REAL hard evidence to back it up. Rather, I think it's just a symptom of the prior 17 seasons.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

you call saying I disagree jumping all over you? I simply said I disagreed and that I think extremely low of you therefore I wasn't gonna bother with a response. Then, naturally, and right on cue, your name calling started. 

teams that win more than they lose and make the playoffs aren't generally hard to watch week in and week out. you can have your assessment of last year but that doesn't mean its not a really stupid one.

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I used to be like you, wearing those rose-colored glasses.

The major difference was, however, I wasn't a douchebag about it.

Toodles. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

what do you call that exactly? 

and thank you for totally reinforcing my original statements and thoughts on you in the first place. you're a freaking jack-a**

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Welp, that was a feisty response to my response ;)

ANYWAY, it was a rhetorical question. There are those here who've pre-baked in an idea that this team's going to be worse than last year without any REAL hard evidence to back it up. Rather, I think it's just a symptom of the prior 17 seasons.

I, for one, believe the team will have a worse record than last year ... BUT, they will be a better team.  I know you can grasp this.  Others, I'm not optimistic about.

I think the 2018 team will have more talent, overall, but not polished talent.  I expect the team to show significant progress between week 1 and week 17.  Said progress cannot necessarily be measured by wins and losses; which was my point in bringing up last season.  Last season's team had no business winning 9 games.  Loved that it happened; but it was a fluke, in my opinion.

I think we get better in every area this year; but I think this year will be a year of growth; not necessarily a lot of wins.  But you never know ... that's why they play the games.

So I am absolutely optimistic about the team for 2018 and beyond.  I'm more excited than I've been in many years.  I'm just keeping my expectations tempered, that's all.

GO BILLS!

Just now, Gugny said:

I, for one, believe the team will have a worse record than last year ... BUT, they will be a better team.  I know you can grasp this.  Others, I'm not optimistic about.

I think the 2018 team will have more talent, overall, but not polished talent.  I expect the team to show significant progress between week 1 and week 17.  Said progress cannot necessarily be measured by wins and losses; which was my point in bringing up last season.  Last season's team had no business winning 9 games.  Loved that it happened; but it was a fluke, in my opinion.

I think we get better in every area this year; but I think this year will be a year of growth; not necessarily a lot of wins.  But you never know ... that's why they play the games.

So I am absolutely optimistic about the team for 2018 and beyond.  I'm more excited than I've been in many years.  I'm just keeping my expectations tempered, that's all.

GO BILLS!

See, here's where I'm at:

People are writing off the games against the Chargers, Vikings and Packers.

Why? Not one of those teams is unbeatable in the way the Patriots are. They all have flaws, and I think they all can be beaten. Even if the Bills get ONE win out of those three games, I think they have a very realistic shot at making 9 wins again.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, it would really do all of us a favor, including yourself, if you just went away and stopped following the Bills.

Now that's some real good advice!  

26 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Rhetorical question:

In a thread entitled "Optimistic about 2018," why do people who aren't optimistic feel compelled to join in and spread their pessimism?

Because it's what we do! 

Wait.........how the !@#$ did I end up on TSW??  

See, here's where I'm at:

People are writing off the games against the Chargers, Vikings and Packers.

Why? Not one of those teams is unbeatable in the way the Patriots are. They all have flaws, and I think they all can be beaten. Even if the Bills get ONE win out of those three games, I think they have a very realistic shot at making 9 wins again.

And you could very well be right - and I hope you are.

Here's why I think it's unlikely:  First year starter at QB (possibly a rookie); very old at RB; questionable O line; Benjamin already icing his knee and question marks with every other WR; first year OC.  The QB and OC situations are what really worry me.

However .... I think we have our QB of the future (finally) and I'm optimistic about the entire coaching staff, including the new OC.

Just now, Gugny said:

The QB and OC situations are what really worry me.

However .... I think we have our QB of the future (finally) and I'm optimistic about the entire coaching staff, including the new OC.

Ok, so this was a little blink-worthy.

Are the OC/QB a cause for concern or a source of optimism?

Ok, so this was a little blink-worthy.

Are the OC/QB a cause for concern or a source of optimism?

Both. 

I think their lack of experience will hold the offense back this year.

I also think that, as they gain experience, we will see progress throughout the year.

Ultimately, I think that the experience they gain this year will make the 2019 Bills contenders.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Both. 

I think their lack of experience will hold the offense back this year.

I also think that, as they gain experience, we will see progress throughout the year.

Ultimately, I think that the experience they gain this year will make the 2019 Bills contenders.

That's at least partly reasonable. But they certainly CAN NOT be worse than the offense was last year. I think they'll turn the ball over more, but it will be a side-effect of actually passing the ball. But I think the net result will be a better offense overall, even in week 1.

And so far as the defense goes, I bet it will improve over last year as well. So, to my mind if both the offense AND defense improve, the team's record should as well.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

That's at least partly reasonable. But they certainly CAN NOT be worse than the offense was last year. I think they'll turn the ball over more, but it will be a side-effect of actually passing the ball. But I think the net result will be a better offense overall, even in week 1.

And so far as the defense goes, I bet it will improve over last year as well. So, to my mind if both the offense AND defense improve, the team's record should as well.

I wouldn't be shocked if your prediction comes true.  I'd be very pleasantly/mildly surprised, but not shocked.

Stranger things have happened!

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Now that's some real good advice!  

Et tu, Bluto?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

ROTFLMAO!  The offense CAN certainly be worse than the offense was last year!  Maybe you don't remember the offenses under Dick Jauron in 2008 and 2009, but I do.  Those offensive offenses make the 2017 Bills look like a juggernaut. 

While the Bills showed lots of passing in Preseason Game 1, there's no guarantee that they'll continue to be a passing team in the regular season ... or that the OL will perform even close to its 2017 level ... or that any of the QBs are competent NFL starters ... or that injury won't take out Shady or Clay or Benjamin ... or all three.