Optimistic About 2018

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

I completely agree with this, but mostly because I've aged. While I was never a fan who was "afraid to get hurt by the team again," in my younger years, the Bills were almost exclusively how I identified myself. There was a time I would be driving to a Bills Backer bar on Sunday morning and wondering what other people could possibly be doing that would have them driving in the opposite direction. How could anyone being anyting that was more important than what I was doing at that moment: going to watch the Bills play?

Not sure how old you are, but "It's a game" and I'm here for the ride" are more of a mature posture when it comes to being a fan of a sport. And mature doesn't need to equate to age. I wish I was more mature about this team when I was younger. Would have eliminated a lot of bad days.

i was the exact same way.  in my late teens/early 20s, i'd take a loss to heart and be furious about it.  it would ruin my day, and god forbid anyone spoke bad about the bills.  i'm soon to be 41, and that just doesn't fit into my life anymore.  i tend not to worry about things that are out of my control.  the bills are one of them.  the moment i find myself being annoyed by this team, i take a step back.  life is too crazy to let this team upset you.  others seem to make a hobby of it.

1 minute ago, teef said:

are you kidding me?  there will always be those one or two people, but i think overall most fans held it in the same regard.  do you realize that you're the same, over the top, zealous poster, but just on the negative side?  while "fanboys" as you like to call them can't/won't admit any wrong doing by this staff, we have you who refuses to acknowledge any positive that has happened.  you don't even realize it, but you're just as bad as they are.  you love to be down.  it's who you are as a person, and that's ok.  i personally don't get it, but it's certainly your right.

let's try something...i'd like you to say something positive about this team or staff.  

That's easy.  I think that McDermott is an excellent HC.   His teams are well disciplined, and he gets the most out of the talent he has.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's easy.  I think that McDermott is an excellent HC.   His teams are well disciplined, and he gets the most out of the talent he has.

this is a great one.  this is absolutely something to positive about.  i agree.

I was very pessimistic. 2 gigantic unexpected holes on the O-line, QB uncertainty, the solid stars are aging. New OC, new players could mean a great upswing or steps back, we just don't know. But yeah, I don't recall a preseason game ever getting my hopes back up that fast. My reason tells me to hold on but emotionally I'm psyched. I can't wait for tomorrow's game. I don't know about you guys but I've rarely been keen on watching these preseason 3rd string players! I only watched the 3rd one typically. 

Suddenly we sense some hope, that maybe we have some starts on our hands and a OC that at last has some imagination - though I did like Roman's run schemes, just wished he had some pass ones to go along with it! But it was only one preseason game... Allen might be a superstar. There's just a lot of maybes, but at least these could turn out great, not just good.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

"Even making the playoffs last year, I hated the season, as a whole."

that's a quote from the exact page we are on and its completely absurd.

as for this season and the topic? honestly..... anything between 5-11 and 10-6 wouldn't surprise me.

That's not me tearing down making the playoffs.  It's me saying that, even though the Bills made the playoffs, I hated the season, as a whole.

It wasn't a fun season for me to watch.  Our QB was pathetic, as was our defense (with the exception of the backfield).  Our rookie WR couldn't catch a cold.  The O line decided they didn't feel like playing vs. San Diego.  The season was a mess.

Yes - I enjoyed watching the Bengals get the Bills into the playoffs.  I even cried a little.  Then we got to see Blake Bortles do a really nice Barry Sanders impersonation a week later in a pathetic loss.

So I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.  The team was painful to watch most weeks, but it was nice that we played in a post-season game.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

When it comes to the Bills, I live my life seeing the positive possibilities.   I'd be thoroughly depressed if I couldn't see a route to success, no matter how unlikely that route might be. 

OH. MY. GOD.  Do you even know how many posters on this board -- and fans in general -- need to read this a thousand times and then ask themselves why they act the way they do?

Bravo, sir.  Bravo.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's not me tearing down making the playoffs.  It's me saying that, even though the Bills made the playoffs, I hated the season, as a whole.

It wasn't a fun season for me to watch.  Our QB was pathetic, as was our defense (with the exception of the backfield).  Our rookie WR couldn't catch a cold.  The O line decided they didn't feel like playing vs. San Diego.  The season was a mess.

Yes - I enjoyed watching the Bengals get the Bills into the playoffs.  I even cried a little.  Then we got to see Blake Bortles do a really nice Barry Sanders impersonation a week later in a pathetic loss.

So I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.  The team was painful to watch most weeks, but it was nice that we played in a post-season game.

Nope. I don't. 

I had a lot more that I was gonna say and elaborate on, but i'll be perfectly honest and say I just don't care for you in the least and my delivery was coming off way more confrontational thank it need to be soooooo I'm just gonna move along. Good day, sir.

21 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Nope. I don't. 

I had a lot more that I was gonna say and elaborate on, but i'll be perfectly honest and say I just don't care for you in the least and my delivery was coming off way more confrontational thank it need to be soooooo I'm just gonna move along. Good day, sir.

I used to be like you, wearing those rose-colored glasses.

The major difference was, however, I wasn't a douchebag about it.

Toodles. 

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I would suggest not watching anymore. If you couldn't get enjoyment out of last season, I don't think it is worth it for you. There are probably better and happier ways to spend your time.

Just now, MJS said:

I would suggest not watching anymore. If you couldn't get enjoyment out of last season, I don't think it is worth it for you. There are probably better and happier ways to spend your time.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need any advice (trademark, @Chef Jim)

Go back and read what I wrote.  Or maybe have an adult explain it to you.  You missed some key points.

Just now, Gugny said:

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need any advice (trademark, @Chef Jim)

Go back and read what I wrote.  Or maybe have an adult explain it to you.  You missed some key points.

No, it would really do all of us a favor, including yourself, if you just went away and stopped following the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is what too many Bills fans don't see or refuse to acknowledge.  The 2017 team was very flawed, and making the playoffs was due partly to McDermott's coaching (keeping the team from imploding in mid-season and maximizing its opportunities) but mostly to sheer good luck.  They could have easily been a 5 or 6 win team last year, and even then, they needed the Ravens pass defense to suffer a brain fart and enable Andy Dalton to throw a winning TD pass in the closing minutes of the final game of the season that put the Bills in the playoffs.

The playoffs were "fun" but they hardly portended anything dynastic; too many usually good AFC teams had off-years, opening the WCs to teams with only 9 wins, which is pretty unusual.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, it would really do all of us a favor, including yourself, if you just went away and stopped following the Bills.

Why do you feel that you have the right to speak for all the members of TBD?  This is a message board, not a propaganda site for the Bills, and posters have the right to express their opinions even if they are critical of the Bills.  If you don't like that, then you should follow your own advice about leaving.  You are out of line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2