Optimistic About 2018

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

ROTFLMAO!  The offense CAN certainly be worse than the offense was last year!  Maybe you don't remember the offenses under Dick Jauron in 2008 and 2009, but I do.  Those offensive offenses make the 2017 Bills look like a juggernaut. 

While the Bills showed lots of passing in Preseason Game 1, there's no guarantee that they'll continue to be a passing team in the regular season ... or that the OL will perform even close to its 2017 level ... or that any of the QBs are competent NFL starters ... or that injury won't take out Shady or Clay or Benjamin ... or all three.

And this is what I was talking about.

For this guy, there can be no light at the end of the tunnel other than an oncoming train.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

For this guy, there can be no light at the end of the tunnel other than an oncoming train.

With the Bills, that seems to be how things work ... and have worked since Bill Polian packed his bags about a quarter of a century ago.

Just now, SoTier said:

With the Bills, that seems to be how things work ... and have worked since Bill Polian packed his bags about a quarter of a century ago.

And you can find NO signs that this regime is different?

I'd say that's more a you problem than a Bills problem.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

ROTFLMAO!  The offense CAN certainly be worse than the offense was last year!  Maybe you don't remember the offenses under Dick Jauron in 2008 and 2009, but I do.  Those offensive offenses make the 2017 Bills look like a juggernaut. 

While the Bills showed lots of passing in Preseason Game 1, there's no guarantee that they'll continue to be a passing team in the regular season ... or that the OL will perform even close to its 2017 level ... or that any of the QBs are competent NFL starters ... or that injury won't take out Shady or Clay or Benjamin ... or all three.

No defensive minded coach with Peterman, McCarron and a rook at QB along with Shady and Ivory at RB is favoring a passing offense.

and you are absolutely correct, 22nd in the league in points per game and very lower turner rate could  certainly get dramatically worse... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No defensive minded coach with Peterman, McCarron and a rook at QB along with Shady and Ivory at RB is favoring a passing offense.

Such certainty!

Can I borrow your crystal ball a moment? Need tomorrow's powerball numbers.

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And you can find NO signs that this regime is different?

I'd say that's more a you problem than a Bills problem.

McDermott is probably the best HC the Bills have had since Chuck Knox.  I think the Bills would have a Lombardi if he'd been the HC against the Giants rather than Marv Levy despite going against Parcells (and his evil assistant, DC Bill Belichick).

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

......tied to the tracks may not be a bad idea either.......Jesus between him and good 'ol Scott Law, these clowns soggy up their Wheaties with Liquid Plumber...SMH....

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

McDermott is probably the best HC the Bills have had since Chuck Knox.  I think the Bills would have a Lombardi if he'd been the HC against the Giants rather than Marv Levy despite going against Parcells (and his evil assistant, DC Bill Belichick).

OK, so instead of doubting EVERYTHING...build on that positivity. YOU CAN DO EET

53 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You must be a lot of fun at parties. They haven't thrown the ball around like that in a preseason game  since at least Jim Kelly. Eleven wins.

Edited by Wagon Circler

20 hours ago, SoTier said:

Those should be red flags warning fans not to read a whole lot into success in Preseason Game 1.

now would be a good time to remember that although pre season looks like real football, smells 

like real football, and even feels like real football at times , IT'S NOT REAL FOOTBALL.?

• Like (+1) 1

I do get what people are saying about last season. It wasn't a "fun" Bills team to watch. In fact it was decidedly "unfun" most weeks. I enjoyed a lot of the results but not a lot of the games.... probably the Buccs game and the Raiders game being the exceptions. Many of the others were like torture to watch both because of the emotional energy they required me to expend in tight low scoring tense contests and because they were often ugly. I loved the Dalton moment as I am pretty sure every Bills fan did and all the "they wouldn't have got in most years" stuff I couldn't care less. Teams squeak into the playoffs without being one of the best 12 teams in the league every single year - why the hell shouldn't that be us for a change? 17 freaking years man. It was the first time in my fandem I had seen the Bills play a playoff game. I still watch the reaction videos on the train home after a bad day sometimes. To get all McDermott on you for a moment it is possible to love the outcome but not the process. That was my view on most of last season. 

I am not especially optimistic this year. A lot of question marks, some paper thin depth in key spots, but equally if we come out of this season feeling good about Allen and Edmunds then even if we only have 6 or 7 wins I think that is a good year. 

I love McDermott and I like Beane and like that they are joined at the hip. I am optimistic about the team's future, just not especially our prospects for 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Has anyone really ever rolled on the floor, laughing his ass off?

I have !     wazza matter you too grumpy? 

I'm always optimistic.    

thats why there is a saying  

You can't fix stupid !

I'm excited for the possibility for a  real passing game.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Has anyone really ever rolled on the floor, laughing his ass off?

I have laughed so hard I slid off my chair.  My ass, however, remained attached.

23 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Optimism? Is that tolerated here?

Yes.

Oh, did you mean by other posters?  Hey, if y’all had the same viewpoint, the board would be dull, dontcha think?

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

And you could very well be right - and I hope you are.

Here's why I think it's unlikely:  First year starter at QB (possibly a rookie); very old at RB; questionable O line; Benjamin already icing his knee and question marks with every other WR; first year OC.  The QB and OC situations are what really worry me.

However .... I think we have our QB of the future (finally) and I'm optimistic about the entire coaching staff, including the new OC.

I think thats why if we sneak out a couple wins early we could certainly make the playoffs again. If we get to 3 or 4 wins in the first half, we can make the playoffs again.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:16 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I think I'm generally, but not entirely... pessimistic.

1) I think much of our offensive success hinges on the performance of our O-line. And, I think they are suspect. Could easily be well below average. It's hard to come up with a reason why they wouldn't be worse than they were last season.

2) I think, along with our O-line, much of our Qb success (regardless of who starts) hinges on the success of our receiving corps. And, they may be the worst in the league, even with a healthy KB (and, his health (knees) is also a reason for concern). Take KB out of the picture (again, not unlikely), and our WR corp IS one, if not THE worst in the league.

3) There is plenty of reason to doubt that Allen will develop into a viable, NFL-ready starter this season. Just about everyone thought he was a raw talent coming out of college. Nothing he has done has swayed that opinion. Also, there were more than a few pundits who projected him as a bust. While his latest preseason performance gave us all reason to be optimistic, one preseason game is certainly not enough to simply overturn those predictions.

4) Our running backs are old, and if our O-line isn't at the very least equal to last year (see #1 above), there is no reason to believe Shady will be as productive as he was last year.

5) All of a sudden, we seem to be shallow in the defensive backfield. There has been an assumption that the tandem of White/Davis was elite. Now, after PS game#1, that is in question.

6) Line backers. Edmunds is a star in the making, sure. But, he's 20. And, what else have we done to upgrade our linebackers?

7) In the likely event that McD does not feel that Josh Allen is ready to start the season, we are left with the choice between AJ McCarron, and Nate Peterman. THAT is not good.

Or... maybe I'm just being a TROLL.

TROLL!! 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I do get what people are saying about last season. It wasn't a "fun" Bills team to watch. In fact it was decidedly "unfun" most weeks. I enjoyed a lot of the results but not a lot of the games.... probably the Buccs game and the Raiders game being the exceptions. Many of the others were like torture to watch both because of the emotional energy they required me to expend in tight low scoring tense contests and because they were often ugly. 

I in no way shape or form get what people are saying about last season.  My Gosh Man, after 17 years of no playoffs and an exciting finish winning down the stretch to everyone except the Evil Empire, you gotta be picky about how we win?

A W is a W is a W.  there are no style points in football. 

As to the bolded, it reminds me of a quote I heard from Bill Parcells when asked about an "ugly win".  He said ugly win? I've never had such a thing.  They are all beautiful to me.

Just win baby.

Go BILLS !!

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I in no way shape or form get what people are saying about last season.  My Gosh Man, after 17 years of no playoffs and an exciting finish winning down the stretch to everyone except the Evil Empire, you gotta be picky about how we win?

A W is a W is a W.  there are no style points in football. 

As to the bolded, it reminds me of a quote I heard from Bill Parcells when asked about an "ugly win".  He said ugly win? I've never had such a thing.  They are all beautiful to me.

Just win baby.

Go BILLS !!

I agree the result is the result regadless. I am not an emotional person. The result is always divorced from the process. After 2014 I was more adament than almost anyone in here that the Bills should retain Doug Marrone because the process that year was often better than the results. I am a process guy and was before it became cool around here. The results in 2017 were ahead of the process. I think the process was right and the results were sometimes fortunate.