Optimistic About 2018

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think I'm generally, but not entirely... pessimistic.

1) I think much of our offensive success hinges on the performance of our O-line. And, I think they are suspect. Could easily be well below average. It's hard to come up with a reason why they wouldn't be worse than they were last season.

2) I think, along with our O-line, much of our Qb success (regardless of who starts) hinges on the success of our receiving corps. And, they may be the worst in the league, even with a healthy KB (and, his health (knees) is also a reason for concern). Take KB out of the picture (again, not unlikely), and our WR corp IS one, if not THE worst in the league.

3) There is plenty of reason to doubt that Allen will develop into a viable, NFL-ready starter this season. Just about everyone thought he was a raw talent coming out of college. Nothing he has done has swayed that opinion. Also, there were more than a few pundits who projected him as a bust. While his latest preseason performance gave us all reason to be optimistic, one preseason game is certainly not enough to simply overturn those predictions.

4) Our running backs are old, and if our O-line isn't at the very least equal to last year (see #1 above), there is no reason to believe Shady will be as productive as he was last year.

5) All of a sudden, we seem to be shallow in the defensive backfield. There has been an assumption that the tandem of White/Davis was elite. Now, after PS game#1, that is in question.

6) Line backers. Edmunds is a star in the making, sure. But, he's 20. And, what else have we done to upgrade our linebackers?

7) In the likely event that McD does not feel that Josh Allen is ready to start the season, we are left with the choice between AJ McCarron, and Nate Peterman. THAT is not good.

Or... maybe I'm just being a TROLL.

Yeah, you're just trolling, and I'm a hopeless homer.   It think some of this really, really wrong.   Here's why, point by point.

1.  Oline.   Very few teams have good olines.   Bills certainly should be at least average.   Why?   Richie was the only big loss, in my opinion.   Wood was just average, always was.   He simply was not a star center.   Bills have Groy and Bodine to fill in, so there should be very little fall off there.   Even at guard, the Bills have two guys with substantial starting experience who are essentially average starters at the position.   As much as people like to dump on one or another, the fact is that those guys are average guards.   They aren't stars, but they're average.   Even right tackle, the Bills have average talent.   Add to that that they're in the second year under this OLine coach, and there should be some improvement.    Line wasn't horrible last year and shouldn't be horrible this year.  

2.  Completely wrong about receivers.   Benjamin is a top 15 receiver.   Maybe he has an injury problem; we'll see.  But when healthy he's a top-15 receiver.   He isn't a great speedster like some of the best receivers, but he's an exceptional short and mid-range receiver.   He's probably more like Gronk than any other receiver in the league.   So simply having Benjamin means the Bills are okay at receiver.   Jones has potential; we have to see what this season looks like.   Kerley has been an excellent #2 and #3 option, and Coleman has serious potential.   I think people tend to compare their team with a mythical all-star team; the simple truth is that practically NO teams have a #2 who is good enough to be a true #1 on another team - very few teams have that kind of talent.   You don't see #2s and #3s beating their defenders and getting open with their elusiveness.   They're getting open because they run their routes properly, and well-designed routes exploit weaknesses in the defense.    The Bills' receivers will be as good as their QB.   

3.  The first question is whether the Bills QB will be as good, all-around, as Taylor.   If Allen doesn't win the job, it's quite possible that the Bills downgraded at QB.   However, it's quite possible that they'll be about the same.   It's not difficult to see McCarron gaining the 500 yards in the air that Tyrod gave the Bills on the ground.   But it's also possible he'll be no better throwing than Taylor, and then the Bills will have lost 500 net yards.   We have to wait and see.   If, and I agree with you it's a big IF, Allen is good enough to start, the Bills will be AT LEAST as good at QB as they were last year, and possible much better.  

4.  Old is not a reason to say they're bad.   There is no reason to believe that McCoy WILL be worse than last season.   He's shown no signs of slowing down, and plenty of running backs, the backs with special talent, have played well into their 30s.   Beyond him, you're just talking backups.   Backups come and go all the time, and the fact that the Bills have an older back up doesn't really matter if he still can play.   By virtue of being a backup most of his career, Ivory probably has more miles left than a regular starter.   And Ivory is a very talented back, talented enough to have been a solid starter for two years.   One year he got 14 starts and gained 1000 yards rushing, and one year he had 10 starts and gained 800 yards.  He's a quality. running back.   Depth behind that is what it is.   NO team has a quality #3 running back. 

5.  They're not shallow in the defensive backfield.   Especially in the defensive backfield, the game for the Bills is about the system, not the talent.   McD runs his defense like Belichick runs his.   Every season he takes the guys he has, teaches them the system, and they perform.   The Bills have two good safeties, a star corner and maybe a star in Davis.   Beyond that, they have athletes who will do their jobs.   

6.  Bills haven't upgraded at linebacker, you're right.   I think Edmunds will be an upgrade over Brown in the passing game, a downgrade in the running game.   But he'll learn.   I'd be surprised if by the end of the season he hasn't progressed to being an all-round better talent than Brown.   Alexander and MIlano are back, so that's not an upgrade, but Milano seems to be losing his job back to Humber.   So I view the linebackers compared to 2017 as a push. 

7.  You could be right, but as I said, there's a good chance that McCarron will, all things considered, be about the equal of Taylor.   Neither he nor Peterman has appeared to be a liability through training camp and the first preseason game.   I'm hoping, and it seems quite possible, that a new offensive coordinator and new system has made the offense better, so even though McCarron himself may not be as good as Taylor, McCarron under Daboll may actually be better than Taylor under Dennison.   

Oh, and by the way, McDermott has been VERY clear that he is not expecting to miss the playoffs this year.   Now, of course he's going to say that, because it's his job to make the playoffs and no coach expects that he isn't going to do his job.   But McDermott's leadership, determination and organization got the 2017 Bills into the playoffs with essentially the same talent, or less, that Rex was unable to take to the playoffs for two consecutive seasons.   McDermott's team will be determined to win games, because that's what McDermott demands of his players.   Every guy will be focused, will do his job as well as he possibly can do it.   In short, the Bills have average talent, just like most teams, and McDermott already has shown that he gets the most possible out of his talent.   

I'm expecting 7 wins, minimum.   If Allen is good enough to be the starter, if he's good enough to handle the job, the Bills will have a very effective offense to match with what should be a top-10 defense.   

And, although I don't think about the future much, the Bills have a ton of cap room in 2019.   If Allen starts this year and establishes himself as a real player, then McBeane will have put themselves where every GM and coach want to be - an entrenched starter at QB on a rookie contract.   But that's getting way ahead of ourselves.  

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yup - that's why I said 9-7 is realistic. Our QB will either be a former backup (like Tyrod was) or a rookie. Either should be able to do about as well as TT did.

Well, COULD be able to do as well as TT, not necessarily SHOULD.   But your point is correct.  Tyrod's past performance was nice, but necessarily a very high bar to equal or pass.   

I just don't get the doom and gloom about 2018.    COULD it be bad?    Sure, for any number of reasons.   But there's no more reason to believe the Bills will win 4 games as there are reasons for about 20 other teams to believe the same thing.   The Bills are in the great middle in the NFL - there are 4-5 really good teams and 4-5 really bad teams and 20 or so that will be within 2 games of .500.   They COULD fall to the bottom 4-5 and they COULD climb to the top 4-5, but the chances are very good that they're just going to be in the middle 20.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

ALL ENTHUSIASM MUST BE PURGED FROM THIS BOARD, THE NANCY COLLECTIVE WILLS IT

Yeah yeah yeah. And all non-positivity is totally unacceptable and must be eradicated. The Kool-Aid Brigade demands it.

16 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

We might be a passing team now.

Part of me feels like we look like a passing team -- and will continue to look like a passing team for the next three preseason games -- because they have a lot of evaluating to do with 3QBs, so they can afford to throw a lot to evaluate without fear of ruining someone's arm.

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah yeah yeah. And all non-positivity is totally unacceptable and must be eradicated. The Kool-Aid Brigade demands it.

i only listen to optimists who place decent sums of $$$ on the Bills winning outright....

this thread is just strange.  i don't think i saw any poster go over the top positive after the first preseason game.  why in the world would anyone?  if anything, i think people saw an offense that looked somewhat effective, and we saw a rookie qb, who many are expecting to be garbage, look fairly competent with some flashes of wow.  that's it.  

i'm with the crowd that preseason means absolutely nothing, but as mentioned, when the bills offense has looked terrible in the preseason, it looks the same at the beginning of that season.  when it has looked competent, that's also carried over.  seeing a good performance in a preseason game isn't a predictor, but it's better to see than a train wreck.  the same people who are complaining about optimism are the same ones who would be gloating after a terrible performance.  

2 minutes ago, teef said:

this thread is just strange.  i don't think i saw any poster go over the top positive after the first preseason game.  why in the world would anyone?  if anything, i think people saw an offense that looked somewhat effective, and we saw a rookie qb, who many are expecting to be garbage, look fairly competent with some flashes of wow.  that's it.  

i'm with the crowd that preseason means absolutely nothing, but as mentioned, when the bills offense has looked terrible in the preseason, it looks the same at the beginning of that season.  when it has looked competent, that's also carried over.  seeing a good performance in a preseason game isn't a predictor, but it's better to see than a train wreck.  the same people who are complaining about optimism are the same ones who would be gloating after a terrible performance.  

You should never, ever takes the least opportunity to be at all happy or guardedly optimistic because you might be disappointed or proven wrong. Only after a Buffalo Bills SB victory is it metaphysically possible to consider being optimistic, but things will only get worse after that and besides, we are all mortal, so how good could it be? To some up, don't be hopeful and don't be happy no matter what.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You should never, ever takes the least opportunity to be at all happy or guardedly optimistic because you might be disappointed or proven wrong. Only after a Buffalo Bills SB victory is it metaphysically possible to consider being optimistic, but things will only get worse after that and besides, we are all mortal, so how good could it be? To some up, don't be hopeful and don't be happy no matter what.

it's amazing how some have to protect their own feelings.  it's a game.  i watch it for entertainment.  i'm choosing to be optimistic because of a new staff and a new qb.  it's fun for me this way.  if this implodes and all goes to hell, so be it.  i'm here for the ride.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, teef said:

it's amazing how some have to protect their own feelings.  it's a game.  i watch it for entertainment.  i'm choosing to be optimistic because of a new staff and a new qb.  it's fun for me this way.  if this implodes and all goes to hell, so be it.  i'm here for the ride.

I always knew I liked you, but never knew why.   It's because your true feelings, as expressed above, come through all of that other entertaining stuff you post.   

I look at it this way:  My off-season feelings don't control my in-season feelings.  If I think positive thoughts about the team in the off-season, it makes the off-season more pleasant than if I'm pessimistic about the coming season.   Then, when the season comes, regardless of what I thought in off-season, I'm going to be happy if they win and unhappy if they lose.    

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I always knew I liked you, but never knew why.   It's because your true feelings, as expressed above, come through all of that other entertaining stuff you post.   

I look at it this way:  My off-season feelings don't control my in-season feelings.  If I think positive thoughts about the team in the off-season, it makes the off-season more pleasant than if I'm pessimistic about the coming season.   Then, when the season comes, regardless of what I thought in off-season, I'm going to be happy if they win and unhappy if they lose.    

thank you for the kind words, and i think your second paragraph really nails it.  we are in the zone of the unexpected as fans right now.  there's so many new pieces with new systems, that coming up with a hard prediction this year is tough.  i certainly don't expect the bills to go to the playoffs, but i also don't think this year is a disaster.  it's a learning year, and any positive that comes from it is a bonus.  the unexpected is fun for me because may lead to success.  

life is hard enough with work, kids, sick family, etc.  football has always been fun for me, whether it be playing or watching.  i'm not about to change that to shield disappointment from a less than average season.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, you're just trolling, and I'm a hopeless homer.   It think some of this really, really wrong.   Here's why, point by point.

1.  Oline.   Very few teams have good olines.   Bills certainly should be at least average.   Why?   Richie was the only big loss, in my opinion.   Wood was just average, always was.   He simply was not a star center.   Bills have Groy and Bodine to fill in, so there should be very little fall off there.   Even at guard, the Bills have two guys with substantial starting experience who are essentially average starters at the position.   As much as people like to dump on one or another, the fact is that those guys are average guards.   They aren't stars, but they're average.   Even right tackle, the Bills have average talent.   Add to that that they're in the second year under this OLine coach, and there should be some improvement.    Line wasn't horrible last year and shouldn't be horrible this year.  

2.  Completely wrong about receivers.   Benjamin is a top 15 receiver.   Maybe he has an injury problem; we'll see.  But when healthy he's a top-15 receiver.   He isn't a great speedster like some of the best receivers, but he's an exceptional short and mid-range receiver.   He's probably more like Gronk than any other receiver in the league.   So simply having Benjamin means the Bills are okay at receiver.   Jones has potential; we have to see what this season looks like.   Kerley has been an excellent #2 and #3 option, and Coleman has serious potential.   I think people tend to compare their team with a mythical all-star team; the simple truth is that practically NO teams have a #2 who is good enough to be a true #1 on another team - very few teams have that kind of talent.   You don't see #2s and #3s beating their defenders and getting open with their elusiveness.   They're getting open because they run their routes properly, and well-designed routes exploit weaknesses in the defense.    The Bills' receivers will be as good as their QB.   

3.  The first question is whether the Bills QB will be as good, all-around, as Taylor.   If Allen doesn't win the job, it's quite possible that the Bills downgraded at QB.   However, it's quite possible that they'll be about the same.   It's not difficult to see McCarron gaining the 500 yards in the air that Tyrod gave the Bills on the ground.   But it's also possible he'll be no better throwing than Taylor, and then the Bills will have lost 500 net yards.   We have to wait and see.   If, and I agree with you it's a big IF, Allen is good enough to start, the Bills will be AT LEAST as good at QB as they were last year, and possible much better.  

4.  Old is not a reason to say they're bad.   There is no reason to believe that McCoy WILL be worse than last season.   He's shown no signs of slowing down, and plenty of running backs, the backs with special talent, have played well into their 30s.   Beyond him, you're just talking backups.   Backups come and go all the time, and the fact that the Bills have an older back up doesn't really matter if he still can play.   By virtue of being a backup most of his career, Ivory probably has more miles left than a regular starter.   And Ivory is a very talented back, talented enough to have been a solid starter for two years.   One year he got 14 starts and gained 1000 yards rushing, and one year he had 10 starts and gained 800 yards.  He's a quality. running back.   Depth behind that is what it is.   NO team has a quality #3 running back. 

5.  They're not shallow in the defensive backfield.   Especially in the defensive backfield, the game for the Bills is about the system, not the talent.   McD runs his defense like Belichick runs his.   Every season he takes the guys he has, teaches them the system, and they perform.   The Bills have two good safeties, a star corner and maybe a star in Davis.   Beyond that, they have athletes who will do their jobs.   

6.  Bills haven't upgraded at linebacker, you're right.   I think Edmunds will be an upgrade over Brown in the passing game, a downgrade in the running game.   But he'll learn.   I'd be surprised if by the end of the season he hasn't progressed to being an all-round better talent than Brown.   Alexander and MIlano are back, so that's not an upgrade, but Milano seems to be losing his job back to Humber.   So I view the linebackers compared to 2017 as a push. 

7.  You could be right, but as I said, there's a good chance that McCarron will, all things considered, be about the equal of Taylor.   Neither he nor Peterman has appeared to be a liability through training camp and the first preseason game.   I'm hoping, and it seems quite possible, that a new offensive coordinator and new system has made the offense better, so even though McCarron himself may not be as good as Taylor, McCarron under Daboll may actually be better than Taylor under Dennison.   

Oh, and by the way, McDermott has been VERY clear that he is not expecting to miss the playoffs this year.   Now, of course he's going to say that, because it's his job to make the playoffs and no coach expects that he isn't going to do his job.   But McDermott's leadership, determination and organization got the 2017 Bills into the playoffs with essentially the same talent, or less, that Rex was unable to take to the playoffs for two consecutive seasons.   McDermott's team will be determined to win games, because that's what McDermott demands of his players.   Every guy will be focused, will do his job as well as he possibly can do it.   In short, the Bills have average talent, just like most teams, and McDermott already has shown that he gets the most possible out of his talent.   

I'm expecting 7 wins, minimum.   If Allen is good enough to be the starter, if he's good enough to handle the job, the Bills will have a very effective offense to match with what should be a top-10 defense.   

And, although I don't think about the future much, the Bills have a ton of cap room in 2019.   If Allen starts this year and establishes himself as a real player, then McBeane will have put themselves where every GM and coach want to be - an entrenched starter at QB on a rookie contract.   But that's getting way ahead of ourselves.  

Well, COULD be able to do as well as TT, not necessarily SHOULD.   But your point is correct.  Tyrod's past performance was nice, but necessarily a very high bar to equal or pass.   

I feel better already!

During the last three years - especially the last two - I was more pessimistic as a Bills fan than ever before.  I hated the feeling.  Even "making" the playoffs last year, I hated the season, as a whole.

This offseason, I feel more optimistic than I have in over a decade.  Not necessarily for a post-season run this season ... but for the direction of the team.

I love Beane.  I loved the Allen pick.  I loved the McCarron acquisition.  I loved getting rid of ALL the dead weight.

I keep my expectations realistic about this season and they are much higher for the next couple years.  I'm finally excited for the season and the team.  Feels great!!

31 minutes ago, teef said:

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right on, boys. Last year was a perfect example of what teef is talking about. The first 7 weeks I knew a ton of people saying they weren't gonna "fall for it" or let their guard down until they actually made the the playoffs. In the middle of the season it was all the same people saying "I told you so". Then to finish the season those people clamored for everyone to not get their hopes up because we inevitably wouldn't make the playoffs and had now ruined our draft slot. It was all so freaking pathetic!

As a fan that lives in the moment last season was thoroughly enjoyed and one hell of a ride! I was all in to start the season, low as hell in the middle and then all in during the run up to week 17!  What the hell is the fun of a run through the regular season to the playoffs if I wouldn't "let my guard down". I honestly sort of pity those people. They missed out on a hell of a season..... Even as I was there in the stadium in j-ville and came to the realization just before the last drive that we were most likely not gonna move the ball enough to force OT I made sure to remind myself to soak in that atmosphere and that situation just so the fan in me could appreciate it win or lose.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I feel better already!

That makes me laugh!!

When it comes to the Bills, I live my life seeing the positive possibilities.   I'd be thoroughly depressed if I couldn't see a route to success, no matter how unlikely that route might be. 

I have to say that I've been waiting anxiously all week for the next game.  I REALLY want Allen to light it up.   He's the most talented QB on the team, and if he's also just better than the other two, I'm gonna be really excited for the season to start.   

(My wife is planning on having the grandkids over to the house for grandparents' day, which also happens to be the season opener.   I have no idea what she was thinking.)

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right on, boys. Last year was a perfect example of what teef is talking about. The first 7 weeks I knew a ton of people saying they weren't gonna "fall for it" or let their guard down until they actually made the the playoffs. In the middle of the season it was all the same people saying "I told you so". Then to finish the season those people clamored for everyone to not get their hopes up because we inevitably wouldn't make the playoffs and had now ruined our draft slot. It was all so freaking pathetic!

As a fan that lives in the moment last season was thoroughly enjoyed and one hell of a ride! I was all in to start the season, low as hell in the middle and then all in during the run up to week 17!  What the hell is the fun of a run through the regular season to the playoffs if I wouldn't "let my guard down". I honestly sort of pity those people. They missed out on a hell of a season..... Even as I was there in the stadium in j-ville and came to the realization just before the last drive that we were most likely not gonna move the ball enough to force OT I made sure to remind myself to soak in that atmosphere and that situation just so the fan in me could appreciate it win or lose.

Exactly.   It's about the ride, and as miserable as those three weeks were on the sinking ship, it was all part of the experience.  

29 minutes ago, teef said:

You obviously choose to ignore what doesn't fit your narrative.  Below is the first post in this thread.  

After seeing the game last week, I saw enough to be VERY optimistic about 2018. Our passing game is  completely different. Daboll has installed New England's offense and he is a real strong play-caller. We might be a passing team now. I believe we will score a lot of points this year.  If we can find a pass rush (GET HEALTHY MURPH!), I think we will challenge New England for the division title and win 11 games.

As such, I do not want to play the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win in 2019! Let this thing play out and take the guy who gives us the best chance to win THIS year, no matter who that is. In other words, if Allen plays the best, let him start. But don't force him into the lineup because he has a cannon for an arm. His time will come (or maybe it won't).

I really think we have something here people! Daboll  is god, or maybe better.

I think declaring Daboll god just might qualify as a poster going "over the top positive after the first preseason game" but maybe that's just me being my usual negative self.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

During the last three years - especially the last two - I was more pessimistic as a Bills fan than ever before.  I hated the feeling.  Even "making" the playoffs last year, I hated the season, as a whole.

This offseason, I feel more optimistic than I have in over a decade.  Not necessarily for a post-season run this season ... but for the direction of the team.

I love Beane.  I loved the Allen pick.  I loved the McCarron acquisition.  I loved getting rid of ALL the dead weight.

I keep my expectations realistic about this season and they are much higher for the next couple years.  I'm finally excited for the season and the team.  Feels great!!

I agree. I have some problems with some of the acquisitions, and losses, but in general, this team seems both well coached, and well managed. That's not a bad combination.

I also have a feeling that even if we do only get four, or so wins this season, the two-year revolving door at coaching staff has come to a stop. I think McDermott/Beane are going to be with us for a while. And, that's a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

it's amazing how some fans are already trying to discount the playoff berth.  of course the bills needed help to get in, but who cares?  it was still the playoffs for the first time in forever, and some fans just want to tear it down.  why?  was it not as special or fun for them?  i'm not a fan of that mentality.  

49 minutes ago, teef said:

I completely agree with this, but mostly because I've aged. While I was never a fan who was "afraid to get hurt by the team again," in my younger years, the Bills were almost exclusively how I identified myself. There was a time I would be driving to a Bills Backer bar on Sunday morning and wondering what other people could possibly be doing that would have them driving in the opposite direction. How could anyone be doing anything that was more important than what I was doing at that moment: going to watch the Bills play?

Not sure how old you are, but "It's a game" and I'm here for the ride" are more of a mature posture when it comes to being a fan of a sport. And mature doesn't need to equate to age. I wish I was more mature about this team when I was younger. Would have eliminated a lot of bad days.

Edited by LABillzFan

Just now, SoTier said:

You obviously choose to ignore what doesn't fit your narrative.  Below is the first post in this thread.  

I think declaring Daboll god just might qualify as a poster going "over the top positive after the first preseason game" but maybe that's just me being my usual negative self.

are you kidding me?  there will always be those one or two people, but i think overall most fans held it in the same regard.  do you realize that you're the same, over the top, zealous poster, but just on the negative side?  while "fanboys" as you like to call them can't/won't admit any wrong doing by this staff, we have you who refuses to acknowledge any positive that has happened.  you don't even realize it, but you're just as bad as they are.  you love to be down.  it's who you are as a person, and that's ok.  i personally don't get it, but it's certainly your right.

let's try something...i'd like you to say something positive about this team or staff.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

it's amazing how some fans are already trying to discount the playoff berth.  of course the bills needed help to get in, but who cares?  it was still the playoffs for the first time in forever, and some fans just want to tear it down.  why?  was it not as special or fun for them?  i'm not a fan of that mentality.  

"Even making the playoffs last year, I hated the season, as a whole."

that's a quote from the exact page we are on and its completely absurd.

as for this season and the topic? honestly..... anything between 5-11 and 10-6 wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Stank_Nasty