Optimistic About 2018

9 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

It's true that it all hinges on the QB, but exactly how many games do you think Tyrod actually WON for us?  His style of play was more geared towards not losing rather than winning.  Very rarely did he lose us games, but very rarely did he win us games, either.  As long as the games this year's QB wins for us matches the number of games he loses for us, then with a slightly worse offense and a slightly better defense, theoretically, we should have the same record as last year.  And considering that Daboll will likely put our QB in better positions to win us games than the previous OC did, I'm hopeful that whatever QB we end up with for the season can tread water as well as Tyrod did.

This is the point.  The Bill's were a .500 team last year.  They had the talent to be .500.   The same talent is back, with so.e upgrades and some downgrades.  Qb is the only position where one player can have a big impact, anod the Bill's probably made a sidewise move or possibly improved.  

So it's all about coaching. And Allen. If Allen emerges, then things could be really different. 

12 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

After seeing the game last week, I saw enough to be VERY optimistic about 2018. I really think we have something here people! Daboll  is god, or maybe better.

Not to temper your enthusiasm but twice in history NFL teams have gone 0-16.  08 Lions and 2017 Browns.  Both teams were 4-0 in the pre-season.  I'm excited and optimistic too but be careful judging NFL teams / players based on pre-season performances.  GO BILLS !!

39 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How dare you NOT blindly jump on the Beane/McDermott bandwagon!  You are definitely a TROLL!  

What do you mean by "meaningless"?  Didn't the Browns go 4-0 last preseason? 

If all these Bills cheerleaders watched some of the other preseason games on the NFL network, they'd see that most of the teams expected not to be playoff contenders probably looked "better than expected".    Most of the QBs who played in Preseason Game 1 looked competent or better.  Those should be red flags warning fans not to read a whole lot into success in Preseason Game 1.

no one gets more upset about bills fans being optimistic!  am i right?!

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

How dare you NOT blindly jump on the Beane/McDermott bandwagon!  You are definitely a TROLL!  

What do you mean by "meaningless"?  Didn't the Browns go 4-0 last preseason? 

If all these Bills cheerleaders watched some of the other preseason games on the NFL network, they'd see that most of the teams expected not to be playoff contenders probably looked "better than expected".    Most of the QBs who played in Preseason Game 1 looked competent or better.  Those should be red flags warning fans not to read a whole lot into success in Preseason Game 1.

ALL ENTHUSIASM MUST BE PURGED FROM THIS BOARD, THE NANCY COLLECTIVE WILLS IT

10 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

It's true that it all hinges on the QB, but exactly how many games do you think Tyrod actually WON for us?  His style of play was more geared towards not losing rather than winning.  Very rarely did he lose us games, but very rarely did he win us games, either.  As long as the games this year's QB wins for us matches the number of games he loses for us, then with a slightly worse offense and a slightly better defense, theoretically, we should have the same record as last year.  And considering that Daboll will likely put our QB in better positions to win us games than the previous OC did, I'm hopeful that whatever QB we end up with for the season can tread water as well as Tyrod did.

Yup - that's why I said 9-7 is realistic. Our QB will either be a former backup (like Tyrod was) or a rookie. Either should be able to do about as well as TT did.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Captain Buzzkill:  didn’t we have a preseason game against Pittsburgh where Tyrod and EJ looked like the best passers on the planet?  The preseason is pretty much meaningless.  Teams don’t gameplan and play very simple coverages.

Isn’t this the same argument that was used when the offense couldn’t score in preseason? But then the offense couldn’t score in the regular season either. I know preseason games are practice, but they have to be an indication of something.

13 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

After seeing the game last week, I saw enough to be VERY optimistic about 2018. Our passing game is  completely different. Daboll has installed New England's offense and he is a real strong play-caller. We might be a passing team now. I believe we will score a lot of points this year.  If we can find a pass rush (GET HEALTHY MURPH!), I think we will challenge New England for the division title and win 11 games.

As such, I do not want to play the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win in 2019! Let this thing play out and take the guy who gives us the best chance to win THIS year, no matter who that is. In other words, if Allen plays the best, let him start. But don't force him into the lineup because he has a cannon for an arm. His time will come (or maybe it won't).

I really think we have something here people! Daboll  is god, or maybe better.

If this is true we need somebody glued to him learning the system. If he's "that good", and all of the sudden WE have a high-end NFL offense, he'll be a HC before long.

That's the sad truth in an NFL that gives coaches 45 minutes to succeed and then fires them.

5 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

If this is true we need somebody glued to him learning the system. If he's "that good", and all of the sudden WE have a high-end NFL offense, he'll be a HC before long.

That's the sad truth in an NFL that gives coaches 45 minutes to succeed and then fires them.

Huh?  Terrible coaches get recycled all the time.  If anything, it’s like impossible to break into the nfl unless you have family or a connection.  If you just look at Daboll’s nfl resume, you would never give him another nfl OC job.  But he knows the right people.  This is a lot of the coaches in the nfl.

13 hours ago, Mickey said:

I'm pessimistic about 2087, don't know why, just have a bad feeling about it. 

Hopefully I will not be around by 2087. I'd be a 99 and probably looking pretty rough, unless I could be some sort of Cyborg terminator mix. That would be freakin awesome

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The final score in preseason is meaningless.  First team, second team who plays better?  Buffalo looked good.   Allen showed potential.  I'm curious how he looks with a supporting cast that will make the team.  If he continues to play well and earns a chance at starting next week my optimism is sky high.  I believe Allen could have a big Ben type of entry into the NFL.  Buffalo relies on shady and defense, Allen makes enough plays win games.  

Agree! Everyone gets hung up on the score...the fact that the offense could move the ball down the field consistently and score is more important and a better indicator of future success.

my stockpile of imaginary roses and bricks and D-cell batteries are sitting beside the couch to be thrown based on what is deserved by actual results on the field

i am prepared for a steep learning curve taking a few years, improvement is what i want to see through the year

Play whoever makes Allen better down the road.

We aren't winning a Super Bowl this year. The next 15 years or so are far more important.

Pre-season games should NOT be taken as predictive. They're not.

Edited by Thurman#1