Optimistic About 2018

After seeing the game last week, I saw enough to be VERY optimistic about 2018. Our passing game is  completely different. Daboll has installed New England's offense and he is a real strong play-caller. We might be a passing team now. I believe we will score a lot of points this year.  If we can find a pass rush (GET HEALTHY MURPH!), I think we will challenge New England for the division title and win 11 games.

As such, I do not want to play the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win in 2019! Let this thing play out and take the guy who gives us the best chance to win THIS year, no matter who that is. In other words, if Allen plays the best, let him start. But don't force him into the lineup because he has a cannon for an arm. His time will come (or maybe it won't).

I really think we have something here people! Daboll  is god, or maybe better.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the mind of a Wagon Circler!   ?

I am far more optimistic than some of these crazy 4 win projections. I think the OLine will be better than expected, the D should be better (which is to say quite good), the QB should be....oh wait...there’s the REAL question mark. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is the mind of a Wagon Circler!   ?

I am far more optimistic than some of these crazy 4 win projections. I think the OLine will be better than expected, the D should be better (which is to say quite good), the QB should be....oh wait...there’s the REAL question mark

Yes, it all hinges on the QB. I agree with the OP that they should start the guy who gives us the best chance to win in 2018, but realistically, I don't think any of them will bring us 11 wins. (I hope I'm wrong about that.) I'm feeling like 9-7 is realistic and 10-6 is optimistic.

Josh showed some real talent last week and he could develop into a great QB - he has all the tools, as they say - but that'll take some time.

Edited by WhoTom

11 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Yes, it all hinges on the QB. I agree with the OP that they should start the guy who gives us the best chance to win in 2018, but realistically, I don't think any of them will bring us 11 wins. (I hope I'm wrong about that.) I'm feeling like 9-7 is realistic and 10-6 is optimistic.

Josh showed some real talent last week and he could develop into a great QB - he has all the tools, as they say - but that'll take some time.

I’m actually just fine with 7 wins, if we see progress and hope at QB and the general direction. Remember the Process! 

This is a “set up” year, and a great record would be great, but it’s not essential to me. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It's true that it all hinges on the QB, but exactly how many games do you think Tyrod actually WON for us?  His style of play was more geared towards not losing rather than winning.  Very rarely did he lose us games, but very rarely did he win us games, either.  As long as the games this year's QB wins for us matches the number of games he loses for us, then with a slightly worse offense and a slightly better defense, theoretically, we should have the same record as last year.  And considering that Daboll will likely put our QB in better positions to win us games than the previous OC did, I'm hopeful that whatever QB we end up with for the season can tread water as well as Tyrod did.

The final score in preseason is meaningless.  First team, second team who plays better?  Buffalo looked good.   Allen showed potential.  I'm curious how he looks with a supporting cast that will make the team.  If he continues to play well and earns a chance at starting next week my optimism is sky high.  I believe Allen could have a big Ben type of entry into the NFL.  Buffalo relies on shady and defense, Allen makes enough plays win games.  

I think I'm generally, but not entirely... pessimistic.

1) I think much of our offensive success hinges on the performance of our O-line. And, I think they are suspect. Could easily be well below average. It's hard to come up with a reason why they wouldn't be worse than they were last season.

2) I think, along with our O-line, much of our Qb success (regardless of who starts) hinges on the success of our receiving corps. And, they may be the worst in the league, even with a healthy KB (and, his health (knees) is also a reason for concern). Take KB out of the picture (again, not unlikely), and our WR corp IS one, if not THE worst in the league.

3) There is plenty of reason to doubt that Allen will develop into a viable, NFL-ready starter this season. Just about everyone thought he was a raw talent coming out of college. Nothing he has done has swayed that opinion. Also, there were more than a few pundits who projected him as a bust. While his latest preseason performance gave us all reason to be optimistic, one preseason game is certainly not enough to simply overturn those predictions.

4) Our running backs are old, and if our O-line isn't at the very least equal to last year (see #1 above), there is no reason to believe Shady will be as productive as he was last year.

5) All of a sudden, we seem to be shallow in the defensive backfield. There has been an assumption that the tandem of White/Davis was elite. Now, after PS game#1, that is in question.

6) Line backers. Edmunds is a star in the making, sure. But, he's 20. And, what else have we done to upgrade our linebackers?

7) In the likely event that McD does not feel that Josh Allen is ready to start the season, we are left with the choice between AJ McCarron, and Nate Peterman. THAT is not good.

Or... maybe I'm just being a TROLL.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think our talent is any worse than it was last year, and in some positions we should be improved (wr, dline, maybe even qb?).  With McDermott running things, I can't see us being one of the worst three or four teams in the league.  Given our schedule, I see 6-8 wins. And I am fine with that at the moment. 

if we can surprise baltimore and shut down the chargers we will be in the post season. those 2 games will make or break our season and we do have an advantage with a new offense. that being said, i see losses at gb and minny. throw in 2 more to the pats makes 4.

they will probably drop one they shouldn't and actually make 11-5 but no worse than 10-6. the first 2 are the most important. go catch the ravens by surprise and then come home and curbstomp the chargers.  that will be a great start.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Captain Buzzkill:  didn’t we have a preseason game against Pittsburgh where Tyrod and EJ looked like the best passers on the planet?  The preseason is pretty much meaningless.  Teams don’t gameplan and play very simple coverages.

WE MUST NOT ALLOW ENTHUSIASM. TAMP IT OUT AT ALL COSTS.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think I'm generally, but not entirely... pessimistic.

1) I think much of our offensive success hinges on the performance of our O-line. And, I think they are suspect. Could easily be well below average. It's hard to come up with a reason why they wouldn't be worse than they were last season.

2) I think, along with our O-line, much of our Qb success (regardless of who starts) hinges on the success of our receiving corps. And, they may be the worst in the league, even with a healthy KB (and, his health (knees) is also a reason for concern). Take KB out of the picture (again, not unlikely), and our WR corp IS one, if not THE worst in the league.

3) There is plenty of reason to doubt that Allen will develop into a viable, NFL-ready starter this season. Just about everyone thought he was a raw talent coming out of college. Nothing he has done has swayed that opinion. Also, there were more than a few pundits who projected him as a bust. While his latest preseason performance gave us all reason to be optimistic, one preseason game is certainly not enough to simply overturn those predictions.

4) Our running backs are old, and if our O-line isn't at the very least equal to last year (see #1 above), there is no reason to believe Shady will be as productive as he was last year.

5) All of a sudden, we seem to be shallow in the defensive backfield. There has been an assumption that the tandem of White/Davis was elite. Now, after PS game#1, that is in question.

6) Line backers. Edmunds is a star in the making, sure. But, he's 20. And, what else have we done to upgrade our linebackers?

7) In the likely event that McD does not feel that Josh Allen is ready to start the season, we are left with the choice between AJ McCarron, and Nate Peterman. THAT is not good.

Or... maybe I'm just being a TROLL.

How dare you NOT blindly jump on the Beane/McDermott bandwagon!  You are definitely a TROLL!  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Captain Buzzkill:  didn’t we have a preseason game against Pittsburgh where Tyrod and EJ looked like the best passers on the planet?  The preseason is pretty much meaningless.  Teams don’t gameplan and play very simple coverages.

What do you mean by "meaningless"?  Didn't the Browns go 4-0 last preseason? 

If all these Bills cheerleaders watched some of the other preseason games on the NFL network, they'd see that most of the teams expected not to be playoff contenders probably looked "better than expected".    Most of the QBs who played in Preseason Game 1 looked competent or better.  Those should be red flags warning fans not to read a whole lot into success in Preseason Game 1.